PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Suppressor Discussion

alamo5000
3 November 2015, 06:40
I am in the process of slowly examining different 9mm suppressor options and I would like to get more feedback and have a general all around discussion on 9mm cans as a whole.

As ya'll know I have my first suppressor (Griffin Recce 5) and it has been nothing but good in my book. As a result Griffin gets a couple extra points in my book [BD]

That said I am keeping all my options on the table. Just like I did with the 5.56 can, I chose based on what I saw as merit. While Griffin gets bonus points for delivering an awesome product I think other companies deliver awesome stuff too and hence should not be ruled out.

A couple of questions to ponder and discuss... basically when picking a good suppressor I want to create sort of a 'checklist of needs'... IE what do you think is important in a 9mm can?

Also on the Griffin Rev9 it has the regular configuration and a K configuration... I am wondering, other than sheer size difference why do that? What is the benefit, pros or cons to it?

When it comes to pistol calibers if I get a .45 can instead I can shoot that on almost all pistol calibers, but what does that do to suppression capabilities? When I was thinking about my rifle one the .30 cal stepped down to 5.56 didn't provide enough suppression for my wants so I went with a dedicated 5.56 can. (Plus I don't have a .308 or a blackout yet)...

Add your two cents... by all means PLEASE expand the discussion to other areas I haven't thought of. I am asking because you guys have way more collective know how than I do.

Former11B
3 November 2015, 07:22
This post was considerably shorter than I thought it was going to be when I clicked it....

Important to me:

1) Dealer standing behind product

Tied for 2nd) Suppression & Weight/Size (I like caliber specific cans for the size/weight factor)

3) Ease of use. Do I need special tools/mounts/blood of a virgin on a full moon to disassemble it? On my IA can, it comes with an endcap tool, but if you lose it or don't have it, a 3/8" drive ratchet will work in it's place.

A big question is what is/are your host(s)? If you're going to put it on a Sig or a Glock and maybe a 9mm Carbine, you'll be fine going with something like a Griffin Rev, Innovative Arms 9mm, AAC Ti-Rant, etc. If you've got a M11/9 Sub gun, your needs are going to be different.

As far as dealer standing behind their product: I have a user serviceable Innovative Arms 9mm can. I'd bought it when they only offered sealed units. Phillip, the owner, converted it to serviceable FOR FREE. I recently had an endcap swipe (nothing serious...just a bullet grazed the end cap and put some rifling marks and took some anodizing with it) and one e-mail from me has already generated TWO phone calls from him about trying to fix it for me. That's outstanding in my book.

Forgot to add: The IA can comes with the booster piston in your thread choice along with a fixed barrel adapter, so it's versatile out of the box for no cost. They were $529 at PSA in Columbia when I looked last week

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/9mmCanGlock_zpsbugozgzf.jpg

SINNER
3 November 2015, 07:27
I just picked up a new Elite Iron .45 can and it has a changeable piston to allow use with smaller calibers. To my ears it sounded about equal to my dedicated Spec War 9mm can.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q638/DonaldFink1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd8rz5lup.jpg

SINNER
3 November 2015, 07:35
I should say the 9mm is a SWR Octane. Not sure why I typed spec war.

alamo5000
3 November 2015, 07:59
This post was considerably shorter than I thought it was going to be...

Lol

I over think therefore I am.

Silencer Shop
3 November 2015, 08:41
I think it comes down to what you are going to use it on.

If it is just pistols then you might want to look at silencers the have a low bore so you can use factory sights. Like the AAC Illusion or the SilencerCo Osprey. This will just say you on buying raised sights, not that it is a big issue just something to think about.

If you are going to use it on a carbine or MP5 then look at something with a lot of mount options. Like the Griffin Revolution 9, Liberty Mystic, SilencerCo Octane. FYI we have a lot of videos of testing these silencers on our YouTube page.

alamo5000
3 November 2015, 08:48
If I could afford and MP5 I wouldn't need to ask so many questions :) LOL

Primarily it (for me) will be used on pistols. A Sig 226 is the first thing probably. I would also consider the MPX or variants of it.

SwissyJim
3 November 2015, 09:45
I got a SilencerCo Osprey45 for use on my .45, .40 and 9mm. I can honestly say it is hardly ever on anything but the 9mm - with my 147g subs the 9mm is stupid quiet - completely and totally hearing safe. I wish the video shows it, but while we were shooting it in the wild, it was so quiet you could hear the bullet whizzing thru the air and strike the target. I think using a larger can is perfectly fine,esp when using subs.

Dstrbdmedic167
3 November 2015, 09:50
^ I second Jim. My osprey is crazy quiet and also works with 300blk (and 277wlv) subs with a quick piston change. I went with the osprey bc it was so versatile and performed well.

Slippers
3 November 2015, 10:25
James' osprey is crazy quiet with subs. I've shot it on both his 277 and glock 19. You can even hear the bullet wizzing through the air with the glock.

voodoo_man
3 November 2015, 10:31
Gemtech GM9

http://i.imgur.com/ZCcL0Bi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/auMCOVZ.jpg

I was shooting it yesterday with 147gr and 158gr's (non-sub sonic) with my G17L.

It sounds like a .22 and then to clean it I just pull off the cover, wipe, done.

Accept no substitutes.

MoxyDave
3 November 2015, 13:26
I have a few suppressors so I'll chime in with some thoughts:

- Most are going to sound to your ear about the same. Don't get stuck on a few dB in the specifications.
- Weight is the most important factor, since this goes on the end of a long lever arm.
- A larger can for a smaller round is going to work just fine, be hearing safe, and more versatile. Within reason, of course - .30cal for 5.56 for example is fine. You just have a larger, heavier suppressor. I used a 5.56 can for .22LR for a long time before I could afford dedicated cans.
- Every time you use the suppressor on a different host, you will likely need to re-zero your sights (maybe a non-issue for pistols at close range).
- I prefer to dedicate one can to one gun and leave it there 100% of the time, so I typically go with the exact caliber.
- A removable Neilson device will allow you to lose some weight and complexity on a carbine vs pistol.
- A longer can may reduce the need for taller sights.
- Anything but .22LR really doesn't need to be regularly serviced, but it's a nice feature to have.
- Consider buying the absolute best unit you can, as you'll probably be stuck with it for life. If you can't afford it now, wait.

Just my $.02, for what it's worth [:)]

toolboxluis00200
3 November 2015, 13:30
All I have is a .22 suppresor ):

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
4 November 2015, 16:29
Rev9 is sick, super versatile, probably the most versatile. Also Rev9 end caps are available for sale should you choose to go with a Rev45 and want a 9mm end cap to run on your sub cal guns.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/product-p/gambc.htm

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/11921854_10154278850809569_3443803989668644604_o.j pg

alamo5000
5 November 2015, 17:13
I've read everyone's comments and thanks for commenting. Hopefully we can keep it going a bit more. For now I have been comparing strictly 9mm cans although the thought of a .45 one is not bad either. For the sake of simplicity I am keeping it at 9mm until I can form an opinion.

Also the idea to shoot subsonics is really cool. I like it. I will definitely be investing in that once I get there. With that though, do you have to do anything special or shoot heavier grain bullets if you are shooting subs? I assume they will still cycle the weapon reliably.

I also wonder on Silencer Shop's videos do they test with super or sub sonic ammo?

So far based on the first round of 'looks' it's still between the Griffin Rev9 and the Osprey9 (for now). This is assuming I go with a dedicated 9mm.

Honestly for my use the Osprey 9 looks like it has some advantages to my untrained eye. JeremyM's comment about using factory sites is kind of a big deal to me. Not having to alter the weapon seems pretty nice. Also the Osprey 9 per silencer shop's videos on youtube is a little bit quieter. Admittedly I don't quite get the whole decibel thing or how it works, but based on their tests the Osprey averages 122 Db and the Griffin averages 125 Db. Again, I have no idea how big of a difference 3 Db is or if it even matters. This much I do know (now) that I own a 5.56 can and have been able to shoot it... a couple of Db seems nice but that sonic crack just wipes out the difference. Keep in mind I am a complete layman with maybe a month of silencer use under my belt. If I was shooting all subsonic then a 4 or 5 Db difference might be noticeable. Honestly I don't know because the whole Db thing kind of confuses me still.

That said aside from the sound variations the Osprey looks pretty bad ass. That's pretty subjective. It does also allow the use of factory sites which all together makes it have an advantage (to me) so far.

With the Griffin I still don't get the K set up. Why not just make it full size and leave it at that? I am not questioning it in that way, I am just wondering why because I don't know...

With the K configuration vs the Osprey the tested difference is 122Db vs 128 Db (6 Db). In ways it might be kind of nice to be able to take the silencer apart. I am guessing it being user serviceable seems to be a good deal. I am not sure if the Osprey can be taken apart or not. That said the Osprey is a little bit shorter and a little bit lighter, but I think that would be negligible. 9.8oz vs 11.2 oz and 7.06 inches vs 7.6 inches... I am not at all concerned with 1/2 of an inch in length.

Interpreting that data though would be helpful to know for sure if that's super or subsonic ammo.

Also I do think JeremyM's post does point out a very good thing as well. If I end up buying an MPX or some other similar type of weapon the Griffin in my opinion would have a much better overall feel to it. But if it's primarily on a pistol the Osprey is good because it doesn't block the factory sites...

Ok... I am still stewing on this... I have more homework to do before I am satisfied. Once I get my head around some more of this stuff I will throw some other things into the mix. As it was said in other posts above... since I will have it forever I am not super price sensitive. I would rather take my time and get what I want. If I hit the powerball I will buy them all.

mustangfreek
6 November 2015, 04:08
All I got to add is...

WANT
WANT
WANT.....lol.....

Carry on..