PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Devices...

NATOgaspiston
3 November 2015, 22:04
I would like to start off by apologizing if/for beating on a dead horse, but I've been tearing up the internet (youtube, TTAG, anything found within the first 5 pages of google, etc) on research for a muzzle device for my ar's. I've looked up pretty much everything from flash hiders, comps, and brakes.

The benefits I'm looking for are muzzle control without the horrible concussion found on some common brakes, as well as the increase in sound that most devices do. Hiding flash is not really a necessity for what my applications require, but I have come across some FH that are low concussion and help in muzzle movement so I'm not ruling them out. I'm not a competition shooter and most of my shooting is done at an indoor range. Other than that, my rifles will only be used in home defense situations. That is why I am completely against any kind of open chamber muzzle device. Not knocking anyone, just not what I'm looking for on my rifles. I want something that will somewhat aid in muzzle movement with minimal (if any at all, comparable to A2) concussion and without the increase in sound; I'm not too concerned about "felt recoil" on my 5.56 cartridge. I also understand that the increase in sound is almost unavoidable, I'm just looking for the one that has the least amount of increase.

So far, the closest I have found are the PWS Triad and a couple of the Griffin Armament muzzle devices like the Linear Comp, Compensating Flash Hider, Flash Comp, Hammer Comp. Griffin's really appeal to me because I am planning on purchasing my first can soon and their mounting option with the muzzle devices looks useful.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the devices listed above, if so how do you like them? And if someone has another muzzle device that would meet my needs that I missed, please feel free to talk about it. Much appreciated, fellas.

JGifford
3 November 2015, 23:35
I love my Surefire Warcomp.

din
4 November 2015, 00:06
Dead Air's muzzle device is nice even if you aren't running one of their cans. A lot less harsh for the shooter than others I've tried.

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 01:10
You know, Dead Airs brake really appealed to be due to that side port on each side. I've been really curious how those feel in an indoor range. How is it as far as blowing back at you or ringing the ears?

I forgot to mention one of my rifles carries a PWS FSC and that thing is like a fan blowing at your face everytime you shoot lol. Great for what it's designed to do, but HORRIBLE for any kind of indoor or cq shooting.

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 01:10
I love my Surefire Warcomp.

Is the closed or open tine?

GOST
4 November 2015, 02:07
Is the closed or open tine?

http://cdn.surefire.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/a/warcomp-556.png

DutyUse
4 November 2015, 03:12
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/04/66707e6c5963db0d7b0e2ba8fe8bf59c.jpg

I have a lot of experience with both of these and both do well knocking down the blast on my SBR uppers compared to comps.

Naytwan
4 November 2015, 04:27
Get a VG6 precision brake with a cage. The cage is supposed to reduce concussion. I need to see if it will work on the 762 brake. If it will I'm gonna give one a try.

GOST
4 November 2015, 06:27
Get a VG6 precision brake with a cage. The cage is supposed to reduce concussion. I need to see if it will work on the 762 brake. If it will I'm gonna give one a try.

In my experience with the CAGE it helped a little with concussion but not a whole lot, and nearly none with noise. For me I wouldn't recommend it or any hybrid comp style device if your looking for something that doesn't increase concussion and sound. My comps are about as brutal as my brakes indoors. Most your linear comps are good at projecting the sound forward but not much for muzzle control. The Warcomp recommended by JGifford is probably a fairly safe bet if you're looking for some muzzle control without the increase in both sound and concussion.

SINNER
4 November 2015, 06:58
If the brake actually works the volume and concussion is going to be extreme.

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 07:25
In my experience with the CAGE it helped a little with concussion but not a whole lot, and nearly none with noise. For me I wouldn't recommend it or any hybrid comp style device if your looking for something that doesn't increase concussion and sound. My comps are about as brutal as my brakes indoors. Most your linear comps are good at projecting the sound forward but not much for muzzle control. The Warcomp recommended by JGifford is probably a fairly safe bet if you're looking for some muzzle control without the increase in both sound and concussion.

My only knock (if you call it that) on the surefire is the price. Not of the muzzle device, but the can. It's about 3 to 400$ more than that of a Griffin Armament, Dead Air Sandman, especially the new sig suppressors. Every thing I see for the socom are about $1100+.

JoshAston
4 November 2015, 07:33
For the needs you state, I'd probably just stick with an A2. Maybe a Levang Linear or something similar.

VIPER 237
4 November 2015, 07:37
The PA Efab of the KAC MAMS is probably the best overall for what you are looking for. However both are pretty spendy. If you want to stay under $100 the Griffin Armament Flash comp is the way to go.

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 07:38
The PA Efab of the KAC MAMS is probably the best overall for what you are looking for. However both are pretty spendy. If you want to stay under $100 the Griffin Armament Flash comp is the way to go.

Price of the muzzle device isn't really a big concern. If you read my earlier post I said that it was the price of the can compared to other reputable manufactures.

GOST
4 November 2015, 07:40
My only knock (if you call it that) on the surefire is the price. Not of the muzzle device, but the can. It's about 3 to 400$ more than that of a Griffin Armament, Dead Air Sandman, especially the new sig suppressors. Every thing I see for the socom are about $1100+.

Very true, the Surefire stuff is pricey. Some suppressors like the SilencerCo Omega and AAC SDN-6 come with brakes that you could replace a muzzle device later on down the road.

Naytwan
4 November 2015, 07:44

I run ProComps on several rifles including an AK, I also have 2 VG6 762 brakes and a griffin armament brake. They all work great for me, not so much for the shooters next to me. I also have a KX3 but that doesn't do anything for recoil or muzzle rise. It does push all the blast down range.

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 07:54
Very true, the Surefire stuff is pricey. Some suppressors like the SilencerCo Omega and AAC SDN-6 come with brakes that you could replace a muzzle device later on down the road.

Yea I've seen those. Really good deal with them. I believe the Sig, Dead Air, and Griffin do as well. I really do like the low concussion of the warcomp from what I've read and seen so far. But I also noticed something else concerning, is it ported for right handed use? My wife is a lefty so if that's the case then that puts the warcomp away for me..

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 07:57
I run ProComps on several rifles including an AK, I also have 2 VG6 762 brakes and a griffin armament brake. They all work great for me, not so much for the shooters next to me. I also have a KX3 but that doesn't do anything for recoil or muzzle rise. It does push all the blast down range.

The whole idea behind this is to find a muzzle device that does the opposite of what youre describing lol. Thanks for the insight though. VG's gamma and epsilon really intrigued me before I started finding the pros and cons to open chamber devices.

Pyzik
4 November 2015, 08:08
Doesn't adding the cage negate the effects of the comp itself? That energy has no where to go other than forward once it's on.

I've used the PWS FSC556 and like it quite a bit. Less concussion for the shooter than my battlecomp. More for your neighboring shooters though.

RiverRat
4 November 2015, 08:19
I've had surprising luck with the (cough cough) bargain-priced YHM Phantom 5C1 It is mounted on a light-shooting medium-profile middie barrel that mitigates recoil some on its own, but this setup has been so surprising that I'm not messing with it, despite its complete lack of e-peen factor.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've also had good experiences with a Precision Armament AFAB-Mini. It's expensive and absurdly heavy but has done well in limited use on a lightweight 14.5" DD upper. Reduces rise some, avoids dip completely, seems to hide flash pretty well and isn't horribly loud. I think the Mini has been replaced by a slightly modified new version, but it should offer similar performance.

VIPER 237
4 November 2015, 08:46
Price of the muzzle device isn't really a big concern. If you read my earlier post I said that it was the price of the can compared to other reputable manufactures.

Then go with the griffin. I do like surefire's cans but IMO they are overrated and overpriced. Also their muzzle devices kind of suck haha.

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 10:11
Then go with the griffin. I do like surefire's cans but IMO they are overrated and overpriced. Also their muzzle devices kind of suck haha.

do you have any experience with griffin's? I like the flash comp, but I'm still debating between that one or the compensating flash hider or the hammer comp. The linear comp also gets my attention.

SINNER
4 November 2015, 10:44
For QD mounts Silencerco has a great system. No experience with Griffin yet.

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 10:49
I've seen two different kinds of Dead Air muzzle brakes and the only thing i can see that differentiates besides look is one is called the keymount brake and the other just says muzzle brake. Can anyone enlighten me on the difference? Thanks

Keymount
http://cdn3.volusion.com/cuvsv.wwhpq/v/vspfiles/photos/DA101-2.jpg?1432487958

Standard (?)
https://www.54-17arms.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/0020036_dead-air-armament-762mm-key-mount-muzzle-brake-58-24-600x600.png

GOST
4 November 2015, 11:41
do you have any experience with griffin's? I like the flash comp, but I'm still debating between that one or the compensating flash hider or the hammer comp. The linear comp also gets my attention.

I've used the Flash Comp, in my opinion it performs very similar to my AFAB mini and a little better than my Battle Comp. The muzzle stayed pretty flat, but all 3 increased sound and concussion to the side.

NATOgaspiston
4 November 2015, 15:29
I've used the Flash Comp, in my opinion it performs very similar to my AFAB mini and a little better than my Battle Comp. The muzzle stayed pretty flat, but all 3 increased sound and concussion to the side.

Yea the more I think about it the more I'm starting to sway towards the compensating flash suppressor or the linear comp. It seems to be a low concussion FH that does a little compensating.

Mostly I'm waiting to see how the new sig muzzle devices stack up. Their suppressor line looks really good and I've found nothing that can compete with that price! Just no info out there on them yet

VIPER 237
4 November 2015, 16:11

The Hammer comp is pretty close to the BCM Comp, its louder but not as muzzle stable. Linear is cool but can increase felt recoil in comparison.

Here is a photo I took of the Flash Comp today inside the local range.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5832/22792397745_c36d9ff1ce.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AJ5ZLV)

din
4 November 2015, 18:26
I've seen two different kinds of Dead Air muzzle brakes and the only thing i can see that differentiates besides look is one is called the keymount brake and the other just says muzzle brake. Can anyone enlighten me on the difference? Thanks

Keymount
http://cdn3.volusion.com/cuvsv.wwhpq/v/vspfiles/photos/DA101-2.jpg?1432487958

Standard (?)
https://www.54-17arms.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/0020036_dead-air-armament-762mm-key-mount-muzzle-brake-58-24-600x600.png

They're the same brake. The only difference is whether you buy one for 7.62 or one for 5.56. They're designed to be quick detach mounts for the Sandman suppressors.

alamo5000
4 November 2015, 18:29
I ran an SLR Synergy Flash comp up until I got my suppressor. In my opinion it was very good at what it was designed to do.

cjd3
4 November 2015, 18:57

This is precisely what I did. Too bad I switched from Saker to Omega. But when it arrives, it comes with the brake for my eventual 300BLK build.

toolboxluis00200
4 November 2015, 22:31
https://flic.kr/p/qvvHMC