PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Armament A3 Grip & Extreme Condition Stock

GOST
4 November 2015, 04:27
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12189144_10154417012059569_1884527763038780262_n.j pg?oh=1a79d2ac8b32e682bcc997f1ae607ac2&oe=56CDB270

Coming soon from Griffin Armament their new A3 Grip. Constructed of glass filled polymer with a higher grip angle to aid with point on target speed.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/11011295_10154417058729569_3467357466742586205_n.j pg?oh=dc3f54fe68efa6cd931189e4c0bf99d3&oe=56BE7857

http://www.griffinarmament.com/default.asp

VIPER 237
4 November 2015, 07:33
I do like the grip, but I'm undecided on the stock.

RiverRat
4 November 2015, 07:53
I'm trying to not be overly negative, but its hard this week - there are just so many off kilter products showing up.

So is everyone is getting into the stock/grip game now? I guess the razor blade model works in the firearm world too - and molded plastics probably have higher profitability than machined metals. At any rate, full marks to Griffin for trying a different material but based on my experience with glass-filled nylon knife scales, these will have limited appeal.

Duffy
4 November 2015, 08:02
No front and rear serrations on the grip?

gatordev
4 November 2015, 13:20
Ooo, those Tennebrex covers are pretty sweet. Haven't actually seen them installed before. Although I'm guessing they add another several ounces to an already heavy optic.

voodoo_man
4 November 2015, 14:17
What's so extreme about it

toolboxluis00200
4 November 2015, 14:45
What's so extreme about it

Sort of want VD??

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
4 November 2015, 14:50
I'm trying to not be overly negative, but its hard this week - there are just so many off kilter products showing up.

So is everyone is getting into the stock/grip game now? I guess the razor blade model works in the firearm world too - and molded plastics probably have higher profitability than machined metals. At any rate, full marks to Griffin for trying a different material but based on my experience with glass-filled nylon knife scales, these will have limited appeal.

The Glock frame and magazine is made out of a nylon 6 derivative, these are formed with the same material. 29,000 KSI strength. Not sure what you're referring to. This is a quality material, in fact you can spray and paint cure these at 300 degrees with no harmful effects, unlike some other manufacturers using sub par materials to reduce costs.

toolboxluis00200
4 November 2015, 14:53
Send me one for T&E. [BD]

VIPER 237
4 November 2015, 15:25
The Glock frame and magazine is made out of a nylon 6 derivative, these are formed with the same material. 29,000 KSI strength. Not sure what you're referring to. This is a quality material, in fact you can spray and paint cure these at 300 degrees with no harmful effects, unlike some other manufacturers using sub par materials to reduce costs.

Hmm so Cerakote is a go with these as you can cure your plastics with your metals and get a match. Nice!

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
4 November 2015, 15:40
Hmm so Cerakote is a go with these as you can cure your plastics with your metals and get a match. Nice!

You can also pull the rubber pad off the stock and bake the stock as well. Its a little hard to get off as is intended but you can do it. The spring in the stock isnt cheap garbage material, it's 17-7 stainless.

We're not looking to mind blow people with products, although the stock is marked improvement in durability versus many polymer options. However i'm not sure what makes this "off kilter" in fact it isnt, its nice kit for the user that wants to replace their garbage stock or wants a quality piece of furniture for their next build.

voodoo_man
4 November 2015, 16:38
Sort of want VD??

Not really.

Just wondering why someone would put a word like "extreme" is a pretty simple looking stock.

RiverRat
4 November 2015, 16:44
I apologize for the "off kilter" characterization, it was an unfortunate, hasty and unnecessary editorial comment - carryover from a couple of other discussions here and in other fora (including some drafts I chose to not post after some consideration). I shouldn't have allowed that darkened mood to color this conversation and you are correct to call me to task for it. Again, my apologies for the slight inherent in the wording.

The comment about limited appeal is clearly conjecture as only time will tell how broad uptake will be. But I will reiterate that my experiences with FRN scales designed with deep-cut, broad-channel texturing like this were largely unpleasant. Maybe you've textured better, or I just have a deep-rooted preference for pebbled textures. Maybe the way forces are applied to an AR grip is different enough to not be hand-shredding with this design. Maybe others wear gloves more often than I do, rendering the issue moot. If so, your product will stand on its own merits and hopefully that translates into sales. I certainly don't have any axe to grind with Griffon Armament and applaud having choices. This is just isn't one I'm rushing to make, extrapolating from previous experience.

Kind regards,
Darby.

toolboxluis00200
4 November 2015, 17:15
Not really.

Just wondering why someone would put a word like "extreme" is a pretty simple looking stock.

I like the design its simple

Axlnut
4 November 2015, 19:33
I like the design its simple

Agreed, with the exception of the sharp corner bottom front.

As for the grip - what's really cool about this material, if you don't like checkering (I do) is it's ability to take shaping/stippling.

Lots of creative stuff can happen there.

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
5 November 2015, 18:04
I just realized someone else responded to this- so I'm deleting their response- sorry for the double tap. - they basically posted the product description from the website which you can see there.

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
7 November 2015, 08:25
Not really.

The stock has water has debris and water evacuation ports which communicate with the Griffin MRE (receiver extension), allowing the carbine to clear water and fouling that otherwise is trapped in the system causing ill effect to reliability and also to safety [in the case of water]. It also features metal reinforcement and material thickness 4-5 times thicker than competing designs in the toe of the stock - that area that breaks when the stocks are abused, and replaces the mil-spec locking pin with its vulnerable thin threaded shank with a full diameter 17-4 heat treated tool steel locking pin, and the material surrounding the pin has better contact surfaces than the traditional pin systems by virtue of that different pin. The latch system is redesigned and has no protruding components. The spring is stainless steel instead of music wire so it is outdoor use rated.

QD swivels are 300lb rated under ideal conditions- and as Bill Geissle stated, the military wanted that 300lbs to allow a soldier to be suspended by a sling in an emergency (where obviously he would have no safety factor as would be recommended in climbing equipment) <stating the obvious. But there are stocks on the market that that 300lbs would tear the QD socket out of the stock. Our stock will not fail in those conditions.

I'm not saying the original carbine stock is worthless or can't be used outdoors- the military proved that several wars could be fought with the existing stock, but in engineering terms music wire is not recommended for outdoor use, and from an impact perspective, the locking latch design, [and probably to a lesser extent the reciever extension itself] is flawed. We can't make a product that is not "improved" and expect to give the customer any reason to purchase it. So we improve products.

The Extreme Condition Stock name fits the mission of the stock. It isn't a swiss army knife with 14 moving parts, but it is designed specifically to be more combat durable, and to bring reliability to the system. The stock it would replace would also be "combat durable" but when people say that, they wouldn't be talking about buttstoking someone in the face so much as just not falling apart under normal use. With our stock we're talking about buttstroking someone in the face, because we think a combat stock should be able to do that.

Granted it may be a sporting rifle to you- but it is the modern musket to someone else, and that original musket was expected to buttstroke someone in the face without issue.

Slippers
7 November 2015, 10:52
I like the stock. It looks like a Magpul CTR gave it the cheekrest and top shape, and a LMT Sopmod gave it the adjustment latch and butt pad.

The fact that it's engineered to be very durable is a bonus.

Uffdaphil
7 November 2015, 11:42
Wow! I'm sold on the "extremeness". Amazing how many areas of improvement I never even considered.

DeviantLogic
7 November 2015, 12:51
With our stock we're talking about buttstroking someone in the face

Can we see some field testing of this? You know...just to make sure it works as designed.

voodoo_man
7 November 2015, 12:55
Can we see some field testing of this? You know...just to make sure it works as designed.

Video's would be nice.

VIPER 237
7 November 2015, 13:06
Video's would be nice.

Can see an Article 15 or Deliberate Pie Dynamics video needing to happen.

voodoo_man
7 November 2015, 13:12
Can see an Article 15 or Deliberate Pie Dynamics video needing to happen.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/2788193.jpg

Axlnut
7 November 2015, 15:31
With our stock we're talking about buttstroking someone in the face, because we think a combat stock should be able to do that.

You just sold one, right there.

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
28 November 2015, 10:51

We'll probably be putting something together when production stocks are available. It's looking like production stocks will be shipping in January- the parts had a couple mold revisions and modified the material for greater durability and colder temperature durability. We will have some samples at the January shows. The stocks pictured are prototypes that were destructively tested in the development of the product.

Ratfink
3 December 2015, 17:32
Gonna get one of those grips.

UWone77
21 March 2016, 22:33
Now Shipping:

ECS™ (Extreme Condition Stock): $ 59.95 msrp

Features:

– Fits mil-spec buffer tubes
– Water / debris evacuation ports function when used with Griffin MRE (available separately)
– Proprietary low drag, heavy duty latching system
– Stainless tool steel locking pin
– 17-7 locking spring is all weather durable
– Stainless spring tempered ambidextrous anti-rotation QD sling swivel socket
– Ergonomic angled non slip rubber butt pad
– Available in Black, OD Green, FDE, and Grey
– Weight: 8.9oz
– Length: 6.8”

A3 GRIP: $15.95 msrp

Features:

– More vertical angle for reduced wrist fatigue and anatomically correct pointing characteristics
– Ambidextrous thumb shelves
– No finger grooves allow universal fitment
– Signature square texturing provides comfortable gripping surface

RailShield™ M-LOK™ Compatible 4 piece panel kit: $ 29.95 msrp

Features:

– Grade 5 hardware
– Includes side panels, palm stop and flat bottom panels.
– Square texture matches Griffin A3 grip
– 4.6” length allows full hand grip to be protected from thermal transfer
Griffin is shipping furniture at the time of this press release.

Naytwan
21 March 2016, 23:24
I just got a set of those rail covers in the mail. Not really sure how I feel about them yet. They do look nice.