PDA

View Full Version : Next Intent Tactical Adjustable Titanium Gas Block

GOST
5 November 2015, 16:49
http://www.nitactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/IMG_0452.jpg

Made in the USA and constructed with Aerospace-grade Titanium (Ti-6AI-4V), the NI Tactical AGB weighs in at 0.64 oz.

Clamp-On mounting system for .750 barrels

Aerospace grade Titanium construction

Attaches with one 8-32 screw and a quality Belleville washer

Infinitely adjustable and lockable using the proven, dual set screw design

Raw Ti finish

http://www.nitactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/IMG_0373.jpg

MSRP $119.99

http://www.nitactical.com/product/trigger-guard/

schambers
5 November 2015, 17:13
Definitely looks cool...

Dstrbdmedic167
5 November 2015, 18:07
You lost me at clamp on...

alamo5000
5 November 2015, 18:34
Meh.

toolboxluis00200
5 November 2015, 18:55
Space age design ??

GOST
5 November 2015, 19:15
It's probably not for all but the clamp on design is probably the only way for it to be 0.64 oz and adjustable, the SLR titanium Sentry 7 is about 0.84 oz.

Dstrbdmedic167
5 November 2015, 19:23
It's probably not for all but the clamp on design is probably the only way for it to be 0.64 oz and adjustable, the SLR titanium Sentry 7 is about 0.84 oz.

I agree and I think they had the best of intentions but...

Kernal
11 December 2015, 14:58
Good Afternoon Guys

I work for Next Intent and I was wondering if anybody would like to expand on their comments above. Were here to make a good product and I would like to learn from you guys if you've got the time to school me some.

For example whats the problem with clamp-ons?

Dstrbdmedic167
11 December 2015, 15:35
Good Afternoon Guys

I work for Next Intent and I was wondering if anybody would like to expand on their comments above. Were here to make a good product and I would like to learn from you guys if you've got the time to school me some.

For example whats the problem with clamp-ons?

Hello and welcome to Wevo!!

I'll expand on my comment a little by further by saying that clamp on GB's just aren't my cup of tea. I'd rather have a dimpled barrel for the set screw and pinned GB vs a clamp on style.

In my mind I see to many added variables of things that can go wrong. Not to say the other style can't and won't I just see more issues.

Having said that it appears you guys make a stellar product that just make me change my mind one day.

RiverRat
11 December 2015, 15:44
Welcome Kernal.

I suspect many members' preference for pinned blocks drives much of the commentary.

That said, I have a couple carbines that run clamped blocks and I have more confidence in them staying put than in unpinned slip-on/set-screwed blocks (not that I've had either unseat in use yet). But having more contact area securing the mounting, compared to the tips of a couple of set screws, should provide more stability.

I think moving the split to the top of the block gave you an interesting decrease in size - which has been the problem with some of the clamp-on blocks I've used. It'll be interesting to see if you've given anything up in terms of reliability with the change, though I don't expect it to make appreciable differences. Shouldn't using titanium actually help - since it expands less than barrel steel under use conditions?

Kernal
11 December 2015, 16:05
Well Disturbed, for the sake of conversation I'll go ahead and try to change your mind today (meaning the defense budget is blown for this year so we're a little slow here until January).
The biggest reason we went with the clamp-on was as Gost guessed, we we're trying to cut out all the weight we could, and adding material to the existing material built up around the gas tube was better than adding material anywhere else.
Then, when we decided on Ti as a material, we found that the thermal expansion rate of Ti vs the thermal expansion rate of 4140 steel resulted in a gas block that got tighter the hotter the system got.
We thought about pinning it too, but we've never had one move on us, and there really isn't enough material left to pin to.
Also I hate dimpling my barrel (personal preference).

Kernal
11 December 2015, 16:13
Haha, thanks RiverRat, you're hired

UWone77
11 December 2015, 16:37
99% of my Gas blocks are pinned, but I would take clamp on vs a set screw and nothing else every day of the week. I suspect a large number of people run set screw/non pinned gas blocks on their builds. I've run several piston kits with clamp ons, and they've run fine without the block being knocked into misalignment.

I guess what people are looking for is, what does this provide vs. a standard $50 gas block that I can pin?

BoilerUp
11 December 2015, 17:02
I guess what people are looking for is, what does this provide vs. a standard $50 gas block that I can pin?

This from a guy who owns Noveske receivers?

UWone77
11 December 2015, 17:18
This from a guy who owns Noveske receivers?

I guess I'll just trade them in all for Anderson Receivers. [BD]

BoilerUp
11 December 2015, 17:25
I guess I'll just trade them in all for Anderson Receivers. [BD]

I know, right? The market is screaming for receivers that fit somewhere between Anderson and Noveske. If only we had some options!

velocity2006
11 December 2015, 17:30
Aero?

UWone77
11 December 2015, 17:32
I know, right? The market is screaming for receivers that fit somewhere between Anderson and Noveske. If only we had some options!

I fail to see your comparison.

I prefer pinned gas blocks, this doesn't look pinnable.

I like all kinds of receivers in every price category. I don't believe say Noveske Gen I receivers are any better than an Aero. If they all function relatively the same, then I just buy the roll marks that I like.

velocity2006
11 December 2015, 17:37
A forged lower is a forged lower as long as it is in spec. The only reason I ever bought Noveske products was because they are local, once their prices moved to T1 I became less interested.

I still think my favorite setup from them was a forged N4 with a Noveske marked Vltor MUR with an Afghan barrel.

UWone77
11 December 2015, 17:41
A forged lower is a forged lower as long as it is in spec. The only reason I ever bought Noveske products was because they are local, once their prices moved to T1 I became less interested.

I still think my favorite setup from them was a forged N4 with a Noveske marked Vltor MUR with an Afghan barrel.

95% of my Noveske stuff is when John was still alive. They just seemed more affordable back then. First 2 Noveske receivers I ever had were given to me for $8 shipping as they were giving them away with a purchase of a complete upper.

Anyhow, back on topic please. [:D]

BoilerUp
11 December 2015, 17:58
95% of my Noveske stuff is when John was still alive. They just seemed more affordable back then. First 2 Noveske receivers I ever had were given to me for $8 shipping as they were giving them away with a purchase of a complete upper.

Anyhow, back on topic please. [:D]

I was just being a smart ass attempting to use a little satire to illustrate that we all have our preferences and the AR market is supporting a ton of options. I haven't encountered a problem that would lead me to buy an adjustable gas block, but there is obviously a market for them. I haven't encountered a problem that would lead me to buy a Titanium anything, but there is obviously a market for Ti components. The one clamp on gas block I have is for a melonite barrel where I knew I wouldn't be pinning the gas block. I agree with UW in that the tension from clamping a gas block should provide better retention than set screws.

I would think a Ti gas block would also have an advantage in that the lower weight creates lower inertia such that a clamp-on Ti gas block, if properly installed, probably isn't going anywhere easily. But, I don't have a problem that any Ti or adjustable gas block solves so I'm not the target market for this.

RiverRat
11 December 2015, 19:29
Snarky Friday? Glad I had a great steak and a really nice bottle of wine - I'll be the mellow influence tonight ;)

To extrapolate a bit on UW's question - where's the value?

First, on the pinning thing. Is using an adjustable block is already placing one foot on the path of (greatly) reduced reliability? Maybe it's not too big a second step to skip pinning, at least for some builds. Expanding on that - if one did pin an adjustable block and it went tits-up, how tough is drilling a second block to fit the pin pattern on that barrel. I don't know, but I wouldn't want to do it (a new barrel on an old drilled block would be easier, I think). But if losing an adjustable block were to happen, here's a reasonable stable plug-and-play solution to salvage that barrel.

Second, it's lighter than anything else on the market that I have seen - adjustable or not. V7 and Parallax Ti blocks weigh more and aren't adjustable. They ARE more easily pinned. Let's face it, the ultralight crowd probably isn't building for absolute reliability or hard use. Being able to regulate gas flow to compensate for the stupidly low reciprocating mass they're trying to run might actually make sense - saving a tiny bit of weight in the process. Because there's no real featherweight crowd here at WEVO (I might be as close as anyone and I haven't even bought 2A receivers), this might not be a device that is first choice for board members. Still is pretty interesting, at least in my mind - because it's playing in new space.

Third, the cost is high, but not unprecedented. SLR Sentry 7 is adjustable, clamps on and pinnable, but weights twice as much and costs the same $120 at retail list. If one is worth $120, the other probably is too. Definitely a judgement call on value there.

Ultimately, I'm not in the market for this. Mostly because I've been able to get carbines to do what I want without regulating gas flow and I'm not trying to build sub-6 lb variants. But I am glad as heck someone is pushing the boundaries in a new way.

Axlnut
11 December 2015, 20:17
Going to add my two cents on pinning. It's a good measure on an exposed gas block for sure. The standard FSB has a lot of leverage to get knocked out of alignment. A micro sized gas block under a forend - not likely to go anywhere, be it pinned, set screwed, set screwed into dimples, clamped, etc.

I recently removed a set screwed gas block with about 6500 rounds through it, when installed some red loctite was used around the lower half. It was ridiculously difficult to remove. It was never going to go anywhere under that forend. Conversely I've removed pinned blocks that had such sloppy drill/ream jobs that the pin almost pushed outt by finger-force. They were still there though, all it takes generally is a little carbon buildup. Again, especially with the lack of leverage on a micro block, and the coverage of the rail.

Clamped, especially radially clamped - that's an incredibly strong way to hold a piece onto a tube. Look at motorcycle forks (the example I always use). In bad wrecks you'll find huge 50mm fork tubes collapsed, crushed, blown apart, etc - but you'll almost never find them slipped in the clamps. Full contact area providing tighter than a press fit tends to do that, vs many pin jobs that just rely on pin not shearing or falling out, or a set screw not backing out.

This gasblock is perfect for very tight forends, like the Manticore Arms Transformer and others, due to the streamlined bottom area. I'll likely try one on the next build I do, and it will find a home next to pinned blocks, set screwed blocks, etc. I doubt it will ever move, just like none of those ever did, including a clamped .625" Adams Arms kit.