PDA

View Full Version : Threading preference for a Nielsen Device

gatordev
6 November 2015, 04:29
I have my first pistol can sitting in jail right now and should be getting the stamp in the next week or two. Since it should be arriving shortly, I started looking at new barrels and breaking out my booster that I bought when I first ordered the can. Turns out I ordered a 1/2x28 booster instead of a metric one by mistake. I'll see if Silencer Shop will take it back, since it's unopened, but in the mean time, this has led me down the rabbit hole of seeing which barrel threading I want to get. With Silencerco's new barrels available, as well as factory barrels, both options (1/2x28 or 13.5) are easily available.

However, then I started researching which one was preferred, and thus entered the internet opinions. While 1/2x28 is more common (which is usually the main argument), the two guns this will go on are Euro guns (Glock and Sig). I've also read that some people say the 13.5 stays on the barrel better since the twist rate is opposite of the threading, compared to 1/2x28. I've seen one or two people say they still had 13.5 devices back off, but I don't know what kind of weapon that was. Lastly, I've read a couple of people advocating 13.5 threads because they're courser and easier to thread on.

So, given all of the above, anyone have preferences on threading and which one is mechanically better?

alamo5000
6 November 2015, 05:19
While I cannot technically offer an opinion I too have looked into this. My main go to pistols are Sig. I just love em. Not that I am not a gun whore and love other things too [:D] The 226 comes with a 13.5 metric unless you get one made from somewhere else.

I personally am really not sure of any technical merits of one vs the other but having all the threads the same across your various host weapons seems like it would be nice. Either that or you just buy more than one booster and carry it around.

Say you buy a new gun that comes with a threaded barrel... or your friend has one and wants to try it out suppressed...there are only two ways to solve that.

Based on my own research I guess it seems to matter if you will be swapping it among various types of weapons.

SINNER
6 November 2015, 05:55
I have always bought all the popular sized pistons for each can. Their cost is insignificant and down the road you never know what the availability will be.

Silencer Shop
6 November 2015, 07:59
Having shot both I would say there is not a noticeable difference between the two thread pitches. I also have to agree with SINNER and just get both pistons so you can use it on anything. However if you decide you need the other piston I will swap it out for you.

Former11B
6 November 2015, 08:51
I use 13.5x1LH for both my suppressed Glocks. I put ONE revolution of teflon tape on the threads and I german-torque it when I put the can on and I never have any issues with them loosening/backing off. I still check (with a gloved hand) every so often, but since my best accuracy comes with the suppressor engraving directly at the 12 o'clock position, it's easy to see if any movement has occurred.

gatordev
6 November 2015, 12:44
I may have muddled my question a bit. It's not the boosters I'm concerned with, it's the threading for the barrels. Since I'd have to buy new barrels either way (x2), that's why I'm asking about threading. Sounds like so far it's a wash.

The good news is that my stamp was approved on 28 Oct (called NFA today). The bad news is that I'm still on crutches and can't go shoot even if it's at the FFL. Oh well.

but since my best accuracy comes with the suppressor engraving directly at the 12 o'clock position, it's easy to see if any movement has occurred.

I understand the tape will help get it off, but are you also using the tape as a way to set the index point, as in twisting to your known accuracy point vice just cranking it until it won't turn anymore?

ETA: JeremyM, thanks for the offer to swap. Still trying to figure out if I'll take you up on that or get a second one anyway.

Former11B
8 November 2015, 19:00
I may have muddled my question a bit. It's not the boosters I'm concerned with, it's the threading for the barrels. Since I'd have to buy new barrels either way (x2), that's why I'm asking about threading. Sounds like so far it's a wash.

The good news is that my stamp was approved on 28 Oct (called NFA today). The bad news is that I'm still on crutches and can't go shoot even if it's at the FFL. Oh well.

I understand the tape will help get it off, but are you also using the tape as a way to set the index point, as in twisting to your known accuracy point vice just cranking it until it won't turn anymore?

ETA: JeremyM, thanks for the offer to swap. Still trying to figure out if I'll take you up on that or get a second one anyway.

The Teflon tape didn't change any of the threading orientation.