PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounts

Former11B
6 November 2015, 18:34
I need some options on a mount. Currently I'm running rings but would, as time goes by, like to replace them. I am running a Vortex 2.5-10x32 with 30mm tube.

I like the optic to be set as low as possible, minimizing height over bore, as well as forward, basing eye relief off of several things, but without too much detail, in the ballpark of "nose to charging handle". As seen below:

http://smg.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fv74%2FDownSouthTAS%2FMobile+ Uploads%2Fimage_zpsljngnrqs.jpg

Does anyone make a one piece optic mount that'll allow me to keep the optic as forward and as low as it is? I looked at the Larue SPR-S and SPR-E, one of which would certainly work as far as eye relief but I may sacrifice height somewhat. The S is slightly lower but not sure if it'll let me get the forward mount like the E would...which is why I wish I could try some of these out before entering a lengthy cycle of buying and returning til I either find one or give up

I would love it if a forum member trusted me enough to let me cover round trip shipping costs and try out a Larue SPR-S/E -OR- other recommended mount with similar characteristics.

I understand I'll probably be paying $2-300 for the right mount, and I'm willing to do so if it fits the bill. Thanks

Slippers
6 November 2015, 18:55
Nightforce unimount, if it has enough cantilever, is ideal. You can get it in several heights, all lower than what Larue/ADM/Bobro offer.

Former11B
6 November 2015, 19:04
Thanks, I'll check that out. I appreciate any and all suggestions....this is one of my weaker knowledge categories

Jerry R
7 November 2015, 06:39
With a 32mm (OD) objective, I believe you would require a minimum of about 17mm of height from top of rail to center of ring; half the diameter of the objective plus clearance. I don't think you will find mounts that low. Most mounts run 1.5" or 38.1mm. As Will posted above, Nightforce Unimount comes in three heights 28.575mm 34.925mm and the 38.1mm. The 28.575mm Unimount should work. That is their A190 version (1.125") and it has 20MOA built in - a nice feature. Your scope has 4 inches of eye relief, so location on the rail should provide what you desire for shooting.

Having said that, I would not drop that kind of coin without a conversation with Nightforce techies (via email or phone) to be absolutely certain it will work in your situation.

Last thought - mounting your scope that low may not allow a rear BUIS.

Slippers
7 November 2015, 06:51
The other thing to consider is how you squash your head down low enough to look through the scope. I've used the 1.375" version with a NF 2.5-10x32, and it was simply too low for me to be comfortable. I like a solid, snug cheek weld, but I really had to press my face down on the stock. Must be my Asian cheeks. :)

Dstrbdmedic167
7 November 2015, 07:03
The other thing to consider is how you squash your head down low enough to look through the scope. I've used the 1.375" version with a NF 2.5-10x32, and it was simply too low for me to be comfortable. I like a solid, snug cheek weld, but I really had to press my face down on the stock. Must be my Asian cheeks. :)

You just need some fat white boy cheeks like me. 😊

UWone77
7 November 2015, 09:23
You just need some fat white boy cheeks like me. 😊

Just use the PEPR Mount! LOL

Former, I wish I had a LaRue Mount to have you check out. All I can offer is an ADM or Bobro.

GOST
7 November 2015, 12:02
I've been informed of your fondness for the PEPR mount.

Former11B
7 November 2015, 14:50
With a 32mm (OD) objective, I believe you would require a minimum of about 17mm of height from top of rail to center of ring; half the diameter of the objective plus clearance. I don't think you will find mounts that low. Most mounts run 1.5" or 38.1mm. As Will posted above, Nightforce Unimount comes in three heights 28.575mm 34.925mm and the 38.1mm. The 28.575mm Unimount should work. That is their A190 version (1.125") and it has 20MOA built in - a nice feature. Your scope has 4 inches of eye relief, so location on the rail should provide what you desire for shooting.

Having said that, I would not drop that kind of coin without a conversation with Nightforce techies (via email or phone) to be absolutely certain it will work in your situation.

Last thought - mounting your scope that low may not allow a rear BUIS.

Basically back up iron sights are not in the works for this one. I took some rough measurements with my calipers; from the top of the upper receiver to the middle of the 30mm tube was 1.05". The 1.125" unimount would only increase height by .075"....not super significant.

Slippers: not sure how but it just works. I've always had a decent time conforming to most setups: from M16A2 stocks and irons to fully collapsed M4s with red dots and franken rifles with really low scopes ;)

UWone77, I'll check out their mounts...sounds like you have a wide assortment to choose from lol

cjd3
8 November 2015, 11:05
Just use the PEPR Mount.
I just dumped the P.E.P.R. I do like how the return zero means there is zero chance you will hit the paper again. Last on and off, resulted in a 5x6 MOA shift. The new Bobro is a nice piece of work.

El Cid
8 November 2015, 14:04
I've been very happy with the ADM Recon X as I also shoot nose to charging handle.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/MCSPRwGlass4.jpg

That said, if there is no urgency I'd wait to see the new Geissele mount that they posted on FB. It'll likely be released after SHOT but everything they build is very well thought out.

DutyUse
8 November 2015, 14:31
+1 on the Geissele mount

GOST
8 November 2015, 19:18

Nice glass.

El Cid
19 November 2015, 15:19
Nice glass.

Thank you sir! I love it and recommend it to anyone who asks.

Joelski
19 November 2015, 17:13
I've been informed of your fondness for the PEPR mount.

Is that the infamous RPEP mount? What's the story on the PEPR? Too tacticool with the holes or something?

mustangfreek
20 November 2015, 00:15
Nice glass.

Indeed along with other stuff. Really like the multicam job there, Cerakote I'm assuming? Sorry sidetracking..or post up in the AR picture gallery

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 02:48
Yea it's gotta be cerakote or duracoat or similar. The finish is to nicely applied to be rattle can

But man it looks sweet though right? Well done!

cjd3
20 November 2015, 11:59
Yea it's gotta be cerakote or duracoat or similar. The finish is to nicely applied to be rattle can

But man it looks sweet though right? Well done!

Isn't it against the law to rattle can a Swaro scope?

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 12:03
Isn't it against the law to rattle can a Swaro scope?

Not if you can rattle can that good :D

cjd3
20 November 2015, 14:32
That is an impressive job. He can rattle can my getup anytime.

Former11B
22 November 2015, 15:45
I've been very happy with the ADM Recon X as I also shoot nose to charging handle.

That said, if there is no urgency I'd wait to see the new Geissele mount that they posted on FB. It'll likely be released after SHOT but everything they build is very well thought out.

That looks great.

I've been absent from my own thread. Thanks for the picture also. I'll look at that and also see what Geiselle has coming out.

And I need to paint my scope. Ain't skeered to paint a $1200 scope when the rifle is double that and already painted :)

El Cid
22 November 2015, 19:52
Thanks gents. It's not paint - I don't have that kind of patience. I had the pieces dipped (water transfer) before I built the rifle. I did chicken out on dipping the optic but I have since painted it and put some Multicam wrap on it.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/photo_zps6cfe6eed.jpg

BoilerUp
22 November 2015, 20:24
So, you and I have the same scope. I'm planning on mounting mine in a Bobro Extended mount. Bobros are standard height (places centerline of optic 1.5" above rail). That ADM Recon X is about an 1/8" lower. You could theoretically go down to about 1" above the rail and still clear the objective lens on that scope. However, you really can't get your eyeballs that low on an AR. I have a Diamondback 2-8x32 in Warne medium rings that sits about 0.9" above the rail (e.g., top of rail to centerline of scope) mounted on a 10/22. I put it on AR to play around and it just doesn't work. Point being, 1.5" should be fine as that is what the rifle was designed for. Going a bit lower (like the Recon X or the Night Force Unimount A192) might be a bit more natural for you, depending on the size/shape of your head. Anything much lower than that probably won't work well. The lower LaRue mounts, I believe, are really intended for bolt guns or setups like the Mk12 with the ARMS SWAM rail that raises the rail 1/2" above the receiver.

Bobro makes little works of art, though, so I'd probably duct tape a piece of padding to my stock for a make-shift cheek riser if I had to just to be able to use the Bobro over the competition.

El Cid
23 November 2015, 17:30
So, you and I have the same scope. I'm planning on mounting mine in a Bobro Extended mount. Bobros are standard height (places centerline of optic 1.5" above rail). That ADM Recon X is about an 1/8" lower. You could theoretically go down to about 1" above the rail and still clear the objective lens on that scope. However, you really can't get your eyeballs that low on an AR. I have a Diamondback 2-8x32 in Warne medium rings that sits about 0.9" above the rail (e.g., top of rail to centerline of scope) mounted on a 10/22. I put it on AR to play around and it just doesn't work. Point being, 1.5" should be fine as that is what the rifle was designed for. Going a bit lower (like the Recon X or the Night Force Unimount A192) might be a bit more natural for you, depending on the size/shape of your head. Anything much lower than that probably won't work well. The lower LaRue mounts, I believe, are really intended for bolt guns or setups like the Mk12 with the ARMS SWAM rail that raises the rail 1/2" above the receiver.

Bobro makes little works of art, though, so I'd probably duct tape a piece of padding to my stock for a make-shift cheek riser if I had to just to be able to use the Bobro over the competition.

I've never had any issue with the Recon X and my cheek weld. I've used the rifle in classes for distance and contact work and in matches. So I got home today and wanted to compare it to my micro on a DD mount. It's set for absolute cowitness and appears to be the exact same height as the ADM Recon X.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsfclstjqy.jpg