PDA

View Full Version : Elftmann Tactical Push Button Ambi Speed Safety

GOST
6 November 2015, 19:22
http://pull01.rainier.netdna-cdn.com/media/product/361/elftmann-tactical-push-button-ambi-speed-safety-pre-order-ship-nov-10-13-el-speed-safety-623.jpg

Quickly take your AR from safety to fire and back to safe with the simple push of a button. This is the fastest safety selector to engage and disengage on the market, with no rotation necessary, no shifting of the shooters hand needed.

http://pull01.rainier.netdna-cdn.com/media/product/774/elftmann-tactical-push-button-ambi-speed-safety-pre-order-ship-nov-10-13-el-speed-safety-0b8.jpg

Push Safety Design
Ambidextrous Operation
Extremely fast on-off
Precision machined from hardened Stainless Steel
Compatible with all Mil-spec receivers
Includes Detent
Absolute lifetime Guarantee
Proudly made in the USA

Special Price $35.95 Pre-Order Ship Nov 10-13

http://www.rainierarms.com/elftmann-tactical-push-button-ambi-speed-safety-pre-order-ship-nov-10-13

velocity2006
6 November 2015, 20:01
This looks pretty sweet.

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
6 November 2015, 23:50
Now that's smart and sexy!

mustangfreek
7 November 2015, 03:43
I just seen this on Facebook, interesting idea..would like to play with it first before I commit a .." I Want"...lol

Tyrannosaur
7 November 2015, 03:49
Only $32 and some change for Apex members...

Slippers
7 November 2015, 04:11
Wait...you don't have to shift your hand? How is this possible. It's going to be completely out of reach of your thumb.

What am I missing here?

GOST
7 November 2015, 04:54
Wait...you don't have to shift your hand? How is this possible. It's going to be completely out of reach of your thumb.

What am I missing here?
I was thinking the same thing, hand will have to be shifted.

Dstrbdmedic167
7 November 2015, 05:13
Not sure how I feel about this one. Definitely not left hand friendly...

Slippers
7 November 2015, 05:53
The marketing speak on this is borderline ridiculous. Besides the moving your hand thing, saying this is ambi is like saying a stock selector is ambi. In order to use this with just your right hand you'd have to reach around the other side of the receiver to push it back, or shift your hand to reach it with your thumb.

It doesn't appear to be reversible either, so the ergonomics are borked when you switch hands.

Also the price, considering this is a one operation lathe part if the lathe has live tooling. It's way too expensive. A BAD selector set is multiple parts, truly ambi, and not much more.

Dstrbdmedic167
7 November 2015, 05:54
^^ :Slow clap:

UWone77
7 November 2015, 16:22
I like ELF triggers, but this is pretty out there.

Liberal_Strong
7 November 2015, 23:18
huh...a bit outrageous but maybe it'd be cool for a precision rifle? maybe..varmint hunting?

Duffy
8 November 2015, 08:15
A short throw selector is the closest thing to no shifting of grips. Cross bolt safety has its place where there's no room for a proper lever safety, it's normally found on old platforms. Lever safety is much more intuitive to use.

While I was at BAD, I know a manufacturer made one but never brought it to market. ARs were designed to use a lever safety, going back to a cross bolt safety that's normally found on shotguns and lever action rifles seems to be a throwback. AUG uses it, but it was made to use it, not quite sure why they didn't use the more intuitive lever type safety.

More importantly, it changes the manual of arms, something we always look into carefully. Too drastic a change will not appeal to many users.

From a legal standpoint, a round bar with red O ring doesn't point to SAFE or FIRE / SEMI markings on the receiver, I hope they've consulted their lawyers and got clearance from legal.

Axlnut
8 November 2015, 09:56
A short throw selector is the closest thing to no shifting of grips. Cross bolt safety has its place where there's no room for a proper lever safety, it's normally found on old platforms. Lever safety is much more intuitive to use.

While I was at BAD, I know a manufacturer made one but never brought it to market. ARs were designed to use a lever safety, going back to a cross bolt safety that's normally found on shotguns and lever action rifles seems to be a throwback. AUG uses it, but it was made to use it, not quite sure why they didn't use the more intuitive lever type safety.

More importantly, it changes the manual of arms, something we always look into carefully. Too drastic a change will not appeal to many users.

From a legal standpoint, a round bar with red O ring doesn't point to SAFE or FIRE / SEMI markings on the receiver, I hope they've consulted their lawyers and got clearance from legal.

Come on Duffy - you're always putting all this thought into things. No need. Just market-speak stuff and make $. ;-)

I'm not getting this product at all. As a lefty the "ambi" claims are ridiculous. Short throw, dual sided, lever safeties with personalized lever lengths are as fast as I can imagine anything being, while also being very "definite" ie; I can digitally feel with almost no movement the rifle's condition. I can also come off safe almost simultaneously while prepping the trigger, something I could not do with this safety (I would have to move my trigger finger up and "side press" the safety with my bladed finger edge - certainly not a positive or affirming action with gloves on, when wet, cold, etc.

This one's a no go for me, and I'm pretty open minded towards different ways of doing things.

Bronco75
8 November 2015, 10:26
Another solution looking for a problem. This should get thrown in the same bin as the accuwedge and KNS pins.

velocity2006
8 November 2015, 11:49
Another solution looking for a problem. This should get thrown in the same bin as the accuwedge and KNS pins.

Except that KNS pins have a purpose with a FA lower, and the accuwedge does work. I don't really get the hate on this product, if you don't like it don't buy it. It is just another option in the sea of parts we already have, hopefully it is quality coming from Elftmann and may be it actually works. I will try it before I form an opinion.

Bronco75
8 November 2015, 12:08
Except that KNS pins have a purpose with a FA lower, and the accuwedge does work. I don't really get the hate on this product, if you don't like it don't buy it. It is just another option in the sea of parts we already have, hopefully it is quality coming from Elftmann and may be it actually works. I will try it before I form an opinion.

That is like saying an F1 car benefits from a spoiler, so I am going to put one on my Civic...

I will give you the accuwedge though...some people do buy Bushmasters still....otherwise after much deliberation on just about any gun forum you can find...the consensus is some slight movement in the upper/lower fitment is not going to affect accuracy.

I will also admit that I have owned both KNS pins and an Accuwedge...Poser Merit Badge has been attained.

UWone77
8 November 2015, 12:49
That is like saying an F1 car benefits from a spoiler, so I am going to put one on my Civic...

I will give you the accuwedge though...some people do buy Bushmasters still....otherwise after much deliberation on just about any gun forum you can find...the consensus is some slight movement in the upper/lower fitment is not going to affect accuracy.

I will also admit that I have owned both KNS pins and an Accuwedge...Poser Merit Badge has been attained.

Sean,

quit harassing the WEVO regulars. [BD][:D]

velocity2006
8 November 2015, 12:58
I use KNS pins on all of my hard use builds because of an older DPMS build I had that the pins walked out on during a hunt. I think the pins were out of spec, but still better safe then sorry from now on, for 30 bucks it's peace of mind.

docsherm
8 November 2015, 13:19
I have KNS pins on one of my SBRs.......it is also almost 16 years old and has a round count close to 50k.......so I can tell you they do have a purpose and they work for their intended purpose.

As for this push button safty I am not sure if it is worth changing ones entire AR safety method....... I can't see how this would be faster as it would actually take more movement of the thumb.

SINNER
8 November 2015, 13:45
Stoopid.

Duffy
9 November 2015, 09:30
The AR's safety location is best for lever type safety. While a cross bolt safety is ambidextrous, on an AR, a cross bolt safety is hard to get to, and iit has but one position indicator (red = fire, no red = safe) on the left side. On the right side, it's just the difference of flush selector center vs. protruding selector center, which is which?

If this was a consumer product, such ambiguity could invite liability lawsuits. For firearms, the laws seem to be a lot less stringent. I have no idea how a pirate or zombie themed markings could in any way substitute SAFE, FIRE / SEMI. DEAD is not SAFE, ARG isn't FIRE.

velocity2006
13 November 2015, 16:11
Sooo... I bought one... I like it... [crazy]

It's fairly stiff and in all practical usage works very quickly. You do still have to use your trigger finger to push it back into safe after firing, but if your right handed the movement is pretty natural. I don't think I would call these full ambi, but I do like how different it looks. My hands are also large enough I do not have to modify my grip to use it. If you're not left handed they work pretty well.

Joelski
13 November 2015, 18:47
No way I'd trade my BAD levers for that.