PDA

View Full Version : Nitriding a stainless barrel

Pyzik
12 November 2015, 16:36
There would be no negative to having a stainless barrel refinished in Nitride would there?

Nitride ads nothing. Only hardens and colors the surface.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

VIPER 237
12 November 2015, 16:37
Just make sure whoever does it removes the barrel extension and does the process separately.

Pyzik
12 November 2015, 16:40
Hmm. Why is this?

alamo5000
12 November 2015, 17:03
There would be no negative to having a stainless barrel refinished in Nitride would there?

Nitride ads nothing. Only hardens and colors the surface.

Actually I have looked into this because I was going to do one. It depends. That's the answer.

Here is what I learned...It depends on the metal but the underlying metals flex... they have different hardness. As you shoot the barrels naturally will whip. If you don't do the whole soup right what happens is it will create cracking that ultimately will lead to failure. Imagine a soft core that naturally has a certain flex pattern all the sudden being covered in an ultra stiff hard surface....

In my case I was told flat out that it will severely degrade the overall life of my barrel.

alamo5000
12 November 2015, 17:12
If you want a good treated stainless barrel go with a Rainier Select. Whoever makes them (Black Hole or whoever) has their act together. They found the right soup and treatment and stainless metal variety and all that stuff that just works. I was told straight up I should expect 12-15,000 rounds. The performance is awesome as well. Guaranteed sub MOA, and it's true.

Their barrels are treated somehow that will extend the life.

That said in my research on this topic those guys treated barrels in all sorts of ways and shot them all out to see what happens and what has a better life. They somehow or another discovered that sometimes 'too hard' is too much depending on what kind of stainless steel it is.

Pyzik
12 November 2015, 17:32
Thanks for the heads up. I did email the namufactuer (White Oak Amament).

Got the barrel on a trade. The only reason I want it melonite is mainly to make it black. The hardening (if beneficial) would be a bonus.

VIPER 237
12 November 2015, 17:32
Hmm. Why is this?

It's been know to cause the extension to become loose. Honestly I'd just buy a Faxon Barrel nitride barrel instead of worrying about it.

VIPER 237
12 November 2015, 17:33
Sorry double tap

Dstrbdmedic167
12 November 2015, 17:52
Just 'kote it. I think you know a guy lol

Pyzik
12 November 2015, 17:53
Just 'kote it. I think you know a guy lol
Lol. I do! But then I should just take the whole gun and now it's $$$$. :P

Dstrbdmedic167
12 November 2015, 17:53
Lol. I do! But then I should just take the whole gun and now it's $$$$. :P

Lol that's on you

DutyUse
13 November 2015, 06:20
Actually I have looked into this because I was going to do one. It depends. That's the answer.

Here is what I learned...It depends on the metal but the underlying metals flex... they have different hardness. As you shoot the barrels naturally will whip. If you don't do the whole soup right what happens is it will create cracking that ultimately will lead to failure. Imagine a soft core that naturally has a certain flex pattern all the sudden being covered in an ultra stiff hard surface....

In my case I was told flat out that it will severely degrade the overall life of my barrel.

I was wondering why Ballistic Advantage Hanson series barrels were melonited, but the barrel extensions were NiB. Makes sense after reading your comment.

alamo5000
13 November 2015, 16:15
Makes sense after reading your comment.

See! I am good for something! [BD]

Former11B
14 November 2015, 23:26
Want it black for cheap? High heat grill paint. Won't affect the barrel in any way like Alamo mentioned

Pyzik
15 November 2015, 04:30
Want it black for cheap? High heat grill paint. Won't affect the barrel in any way like Alamo mentioned
That's the route I was planning if melonite wasn't a good option. I could get it done for free and wondered if it was a good idea. Sounds like not so much.

gatordev
15 November 2015, 07:37

I second this. I have a Spike's 5.45 barrel that I had messed up the finish on when I initially got it then painted it the grill paint. It has been severely mistreated (when it comes to heat) since and there's no evidence of the paint coming off or wearing.

Pyzik
16 November 2015, 07:04
Well, I got an email back from WOA. They're suggesting NOT nitriding the barrel. So paint it is!