PDA

View Full Version : Question about optic height

Creeky73
19 February 2009, 07:27
I am really struggling to figure out which optic to go with. I had previously made up my mind to go with Eotech, but Stickman's feedback on them changed my mind, unless I hear different about them by the time I find the cash for this venture. So now I am obviously looking at Aimpoint. Here is my concern. I have an A2 style upper, with the carry handle built in. I don't want to change my upper. I am sporting a Daniel Defense Omega Rail, and I was planning on mounting the optic on it, just in front of the carry handle to set up a co-witness. I am looking to get the iron sights in the lower 3rd of my optic. So my first question is, are the fixed sights on my gun more or less at the same height that a true flat top gun with flip up sights would be (with sights flipped up, obviously)? Will mounts that claim to set up the M3 with sights in the lower 3rd work pretty much the same with my fixed sights? Does the spacer included with the M4 optic set it up high enough for a lower 3rd co-witness? What about the T-1 with the tall mount (like Stickman has on one of his weapons), is it tall enough for a lower 3rd? I did not want to spend this kind of money, but every aimpoint solution, especially after a quality mount for an M3, is going to be north of $600 so I might as well not rule out the M4 or T-1 at this point. Heeeeelp!

Stickman
19 February 2009, 16:26
The issue with Eotechs shouldn't be taken out of context. I still carry one on a daily basis on my duty weapon.

You can mount a T-1 in a riser, and you will get a lower 1/3rd sight picture with your irons. However, given the info that you have, I would swap out the A2 upper for a flattop, and use an Eotech. If you go with a 512, you would probably even come out a little cheaper, even if you bought an MBUS for a rear sight to go along with it.

I think the T-1 is a better optic overall, but wouldn't write off the Eotech altogether.

HS2
19 February 2009, 17:40
I have a similar issue. My aging eyeballs don't work very well with iron sights anymore so I'd like to mount an Eotech. My preference would be a flatop upper as you've suggested but they are just unobtainable (I talked to RRA yesterday and they told me the wait list is two years).

btw I also selected the DD Omega rail based on your review and installation guide. Awesome site!

Creeky73
19 February 2009, 19:53
the eotech I originally had my heart set on was the 516.A65, which had all the controls on the side instead of in the rear, which would be perfect for mounting it all the way back against the carry handle, and it also already has a 7mm taller base than the standard eotechs, so I thought that would help in getting the optic higher above my irons. I am not considering the swap to a flat top for a couple of reasons, but the primary is the added cost of the part, plus the cost of a rear flip up sight, plus the cost of paying a gunsmith cuz I can't swap the thing out. Stick, if you are saying that the eotech will still be fine for my SHTF/Zombie Invasion gun, I would love to go that route and save a bundle.

HS2
29 March 2009, 08:45
Its actually pretty easy to change the upper to a flatop, although you need some specialized tools (an action block and an armorer'sl wrench).

I'll post a couple of before and after pics.

Army Chief
29 March 2009, 10:12
Doesn't sound like a bad idea for a "How To" post, quite honestly.

AC

CAPT KIRK
3 April 2009, 20:56
the eotech I originally had my heart set on was the 516.A65, .

This was my choice too...... and I totally love the sight. I also like the Aimpoints, however it is hard to find anything but good about the open field of view that only and Eotech can provide. Plus... I love the recticle... Center dot is for longer ranges and the hash mark at 6 o'clock on the ring is my point of aim/impact at 10 yards or less (eliminating sight over bore issues).

Long and Short of it tho...... If you buy quality, it will only serve you well if you train, train, train and then train some more with it. Experiance and training will give the edge to even the most ill equiped warrior.