PDA

View Full Version : BCM does 300BLK

DutyUse
19 November 2015, 15:41
The uppers themselves are pretty cool, but what's really peaking my interest are their new line of barrels.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/19/dd2e80eff3856942435e93c955837156.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/19/1fac750353e79ed7baf071fd9fd4cf4a.jpg

What's yall thoughts on these? I had planned to use a Noveske 8.5" stainless for my new Fathom SBR/Suppressor host but I'm starting to reconsider for the BCM 9" version.

Farva
19 November 2015, 16:02
Love me some BCM. I like them. I'm thinking of using one of these uppers for my future 300 build. Really want one of their 11.5" uppers in 5.56 too

UWone77
19 November 2015, 16:47
Love me some BCM. I like them. I'm thinking of using one of these uppers for my future 300 build. Really want one of their 11.5" uppers in 5.56 too

Bought a BCM 11.5 Upper back when they were offering free CH's and BCG's. I wish I would have bought 2. The 11.5 is smooth as butter.

Farva
19 November 2015, 17:05
Bought a BCM 11.5 Upper back when they were offering free CH's and BCG's. I wish I would have bought 2. The 11.5 is smooth as butter.

I wish I was able to hop on that deal at the time. I was thinking of what body part to sell to be able to take advantage of it at the time.

DutyUse
19 November 2015, 19:31
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/19/a60f35ee50c1d803099f4ada72abbce6.jpg

Speaking of the 11.5 BCM... Been meaning to throw this little beauty together for awhile but it's gotten thrown on the back burner.

Mecha_Arms
20 November 2015, 00:01
I want to check these out, but I don't have a good use for another 300 BLK right now. I am interested to see what folks think of their barrels.

I also regret not getting in on their upper sale last year on the 11.5" 5.56. It just wasn't in the cards at the time.

Deadwing
20 November 2015, 02:41
I really love my BCM stuff. I was planning on building another 300BLK upper in the near future, so I'm really tempted by the 9" barreled upper with the 8" KMR. And $70 for a BCM Gunfighter CH and BCG is still a screaming deal in my book, even if it isn't free.

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 02:46
I really love my BCM stuff. I was planning on building another 300BLK upper in the near future, so I'm really tempted by the 9" barreled upper with the 8" KMR. And $70 for a BCM Gunfighter CH and BCG is still a screaming deal in my book, even if it isn't free.

Yea I was thinking about the exact same thing today. 9" w/ KMR8 full combo meal :)

But I need to start using some of these stripped lowers and uppers I got piling up instead of buying a premade.. So for the time I think it'll just be the barrel... First world problems I know

Deadwing
20 November 2015, 03:12
Yea I was thinking about the exact same thing today. 9" w/ KMR8 full combo meal :)

But I need to start using some of these stripped lowers and uppers I got piling up instead of buying a premade.. So for the time I think it'll just be the barrel... First world problems I know

LOL! I'm jealous of the 8.2" Noveske you've got. Those are difficult to find. I really wanted the Noveske 10.2" for my build. But since they no longer make 'em in 10.2" i settled for the 10.5". That .3" less barrel would've closed the gap between my can and the rail. Again, first world problems.[BD] But damnit, the heart wants what the heart wants lol.

At any rate, as much as i want that BCM i'll probably take a pass for now. I've got a handful of stripped uppers, and a Ballistic Advantage 300BLK barrel can be had for $210, and that's with a pinned lo-pro gas block. But then again, add in the cost of a BCG, CH, hand guard, and muzzle device and the complete BCM upper isn't too far off in price. Decisions, decisions...

ETA: Oops... I mis-read your first post, and you were talking about an 8.5" Noveske. My bad!

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 03:26
LOL! I'm jealous of the 8.2" Noveske you've got. Those are difficult to find. I really wanted the Noveske 10.2" for my build. But since they no longer make 'em in 10.2" i settled for the 10.5". That .3" less barrel would've closed the gap between my can and the rail. Again, first world problems.[BD] But damnit, the heart wants what the heart wants lol.

At any rate, as much as i want that BCM i'll probably take a pass for now. I've got a handful of stripped uppers, and a Ballistic Advantage 300BLK barrel can be had for $210, and that's with a pinned lo-pro gas block. But then again, add in the cost of a BCG, CH, hand guard, and muzzle device and the complete BCM upper isn't too far off in price. Decisions, decisions...

ETA: Oops... I mis-read your first post, and you were talking about an 8.5" Noveske. My bad!

I haven't bought any 300BLK stuff yet. Just spitballing plans. I got the Fathom set coming in this afternoon, and an Silencerco Omega in the works so it's about time I jumped on the 300 train, hell I've never even fired one at this point as 556 is the dominant caliber in my area.

Thinking either a 8.5 noveske or 9" bcm barrel. 9" mega wedge. The san tan upper and fathom enhanced bcg obviously and topped with a Rainer Avalanche CH and Silencerco ASR compensator break/mount.

Im planning for this 300build and can combo to take over home defense duties from my colt 6920 because with subsonic it'll be a huge difference in sound if needed to shoot indoors. Short barrel should make it handy as well.

Deadwing
20 November 2015, 03:31
Will the Omega tuck inside the Wedge rail? With a 9" rail, the barrel threads will be inside the rail with either of your barrel choices.

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 03:33
I'm can illiterate, I wasn't even thinking about it not tucking like a regular muzzle device...

Might have to go with my backup choice a SLR ion lite 8" mlok

mustangfreek
20 November 2015, 03:49
I want short barreled BO upper..

Me likey

Deadwing
20 November 2015, 03:54
I'm can illiterate, I wasn't even thinking about it not tucking like a regular muzzle device...

Might have to go with my backup choice a SLR ion lite 8" mlok

BCM needs to get on board with M-Lok (not real probable) and do up a KMR with it. That'd be the cat's meow.

voodoo_man
20 November 2015, 08:07
Hopefully this will primer the market for cheap ammo.

I am reconsidering a 300 build, dedicated suppressed.

UWone77
20 November 2015, 10:06

I am reconsidering a 300 build, dedicated suppressed.

Sort of want... [:D]

Am I the only one that's kind of like ho hum about this announcement? Several years late?

Don't get me wrong, I love my BCM gear and I have quite a few of their items, but not exactly innovative stuff getting this late in the 300 game. Like voodoo said, hopefully this helps get 300 ammo into the more mainstream market for Joe Dirt Shooter to get ammo down even more on 300.

Slippers
20 November 2015, 10:15
BCM needs to get on board with M-Lok (not real probable) and do up a KMR with it. That'd be the cat's meow.

They can barely keep up with KMR demand as it is. No reason for them to support m-lok. Not to mention the designer of keymod is head of r&d for BCM, too. :)

voodoo_man
20 November 2015, 11:25
Sort of want... [:D]

Am I the only one that's kind of like ho hum about this announcement? Several years late?

Don't get me wrong, I love my BCM gear and I have quite a few of their items, but not exactly innovative stuff getting this late in the 300 game. Like voodoo said, hopefully this helps get 300 ammo into the more mainstream market for Joe Dirt Shooter to get ammo down even more on 300.

Of course its too late, i dont know who is makin the decisions at bcm but they are starting to get behind the curve and that's just bad.

I will keep an eye out for the 300blk setups and if the market doesnt materialize i think itll be an issue for them down the road.

However, seeing as how many MIL sof units are considering going to 300blk i believe that when they choose a setup, that will then be the mk18 variant of want.

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 11:42
Behind the bleeding cutting edge? Maybe.

Raking in hand over fist money? Most certainly.

Their protecting their brand by coming out with gear they know will sell well. I mean their watch was a little hokey but everything else I've seen coming from BCM I knew would be successful. I kind of feel they are where Noveske was a few years back, anything they produce will sell like gold. However as trends change another company will become the darling of the AR world and that's when they will need new development. Just my 2cents

voodoo_man
20 November 2015, 13:53
Behind the bleeding cutting edge? Maybe.

Raking in hand over fist money? Most certainly.

Their protecting their brand by coming out with gear they know will sell well. I mean their watch was a little hokey but everything else I've seen coming from BCM I knew would be successful. I kind of feel they are where Noveske was a few years back, anything they produce will sell like gold. However as trends change another company will become the darling of the AR world and that's when they will need new development. Just my 2cents

Obviously thats what they are doing, and of course itll work. Id buy and recommendation a bcm uppered barrel and or rail to anyone as a cheap entry into the world that will perform.

They need to stick that.

Aberration79
20 November 2015, 16:51
Sure makes me want to shoot the hell out of this barrel so I can swap it out.

Deadwing
21 November 2015, 02:20

That would be awesome. It would be nice to have some options for affordable, quality factory loaded ammo. Granted, i haven't purchased that many different loads, but the only factory subs i've been satisfied with so far are the Sliencerco Harvester 220gr SMKs, which cost me a buck a round, on sale. Hardly cheap.

SINNER
21 November 2015, 03:32
I'd consider one if they ever offer a non fluted version.

Deadwing
21 November 2015, 03:40
They can barely keep up with KMR demand as it is. No reason for them to support m-lok. Not to mention the designer of keymod is head of r&d for BCM, too. :)

That's why i included the "not real probable" part. [:D]

DutyUse
25 November 2015, 13:00
300BLK has really peaked my interest and I'm trying to figure out which parts I'll need.

Will the new KMR8 alpha be short enough (8.39" actual length including flair) to fit a 8.5" Noveske barrel and still allow me to run an Omega on a qd mount? I know it'll be tight, but I don't want to have to scrap a rail because of tolerances. Thanks guys

BC98
25 November 2015, 13:40
300BLK has really peaked my interest and I'm trying to figure out which parts I'll need.

Will the new KMR8 alpha be short enough (8.39" actual length including flair) to fit a 8.5" Noveske barrel and still allow me to run an Omega on a qd mount? I know it'll be tight, but I don't want to have to scrap a rail because of tolerances. Thanks guys

Probably not long enough. I mocked up a Ballistic Adantage 8.3" Hanson barrel with an 8" URX rail and a Specwar (same mounting system as Omega) would not quite fit. A 7" Geissele rail had no fitment issues with the Hanson barrel.

Cold bore miracle
31 December 2015, 11:28
I have 2 of the 9" complete uppers iN 300 BLK. Shoot very, very accurate with my 125 smk's 1 hole at 100yds. They also really like the 110 black tips and 110 TNT's. Really light. Glad I got them

Deadwing
31 December 2015, 21:03
I've been sitting on my 9" barrel/8" KMR BCM upper for a few weeks. I replaced the BCM comp with a Trifecta FH and added some MBUS Pro BUIS. I'm still waiting on a mount for the Aimpoint H1 that i'll be using on this upper. Without having fired it, i already like this upper. Ridiculously light, and is typical BCM high quality as far as i can tell.

DutyUse
31 December 2015, 21:07
Nice! I'll be eager to hear how she shoots, I'm already planning a second 300 build

Deadwing
31 December 2015, 21:16
Nice! I'll be eager to hear how she shoots, I'm already planning a second 300 build

The first time i shot my first 300 BLK gun suppressed with subs, i was hooked on that cartridge lol. I really hope the 300 BLK takes off in popularity and in turn hopefully see ammo become more readily available and less expensive.

DutyUse
31 December 2015, 21:42
I agree, I think it has the potential to be a mainstream loading but will never go significantly down in price until a) they start selling them at Walmart in bulk packs of b) a large military branch adopts it

I'll admit if I wasn't so heavily invested in the AR platform I would have just gotten an 7.62 AK

Deadwing
31 December 2015, 21:59
I agree, I think it has the potential to be a mainstream loading but will never go significantly down in price until a) they start selling them at Walmart in bulk packs of b) a large military branch adopts it

I'll admit if I wasn't so heavily invested in the AR platform I would have just gotten an 7.62 AK

I agree on the ammo situation.

As for getting an AK47, i'd love to have a cheap one to sling shitloads of cheap steel cased ammo through just for fun, but even cheap AKs aren't that cheap these days. And all that cheap 7.62x39 is supersonic, so the fun of shooting suppressed subs wouldn't be there. Plus, the AK lacks the modularity of the AR, where i can have one (or several [BD]) registered SBR lower(s) and swap uppers between 5.56, 300BLK, etc. and in effect have more SBRs than tax stamps.

BoilerUp
31 December 2015, 22:04
I love BCM but frankly am surprised they added .300 to their lineup. The 6.8 SPC would have made a lot more sense for their "Gunfighter" branding. The .300 BLK seems more like it came from the same marketing mentality that brought us the "BCM Timepiece".

Don't get me wrong, I have a .300 BLK and love it and it is my primary HD weapon, but if how I made my living entailed kicking in doors or having people shoot at me from more than 100 yards away, I'd take a 6.8 over a .300 BLK in a heartbeat. The 6.8 has military customers (which is driving 6.8 ammo prices way down, BTW) and I'd be surprised if the .300 BLK ever gains military acceptance/legitimacy. Where the .300 BLK makes sense is when you want to modernize and step up from an MP5SD (so, yeah, it's better than a 9mm!!), so it has legitimate LEO and limited MIL applications, but I just don't think it qualifies as a real "gunfighter" cartridge, at least not in my image of the branding BCM has successfully built up in my mind to date.

I'm hoping BCM will eventually study some ballistics charts and come out with a 6.8.

Deadwing
31 December 2015, 22:21
The 300BLK has become my primary HD weapon as well. And in that capacity, it does it's job quite well. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice for a fighting weapon requiring effectiveness beyond 150 meters. Especially shooting subs, which was why i was primarily interested in the 300BLK to begin with.

One of these days, i'm going to build a 6.8 gun. Looks like a great cartridge from everything i've read about it.

mustangfreek
1 January 2016, 05:02
Some foreign countries have adopted their own platforms in 300 blackout..one can only wish they would start making butt loads of cheap brass stuff or steel case stuff for blasting

BoilerUp
1 January 2016, 06:31
Some foreign countries have adopted their own platforms in 300 blackout..one can only wish they would start making butt loads of cheap brass stuff or steel case stuff for blasting

Source? I'm skeptical because if it were true the 300 BLK fanbois would have the Wikipedia page updated in 5 seconds. The Dutch appeared to be interested in purchasing a whopping 195 carbines last summer and I think a lot of people wet their pants when Jane's published the news article. Internet rumors suggest that a few SOF units have a few Blackouts in inventory, but that is hardly surprising or particularly meaningful as those units frequently have a large selection of firearms at their disposal. It doesn't mean they actually get used much. The fact that Federal makes a 220gr OTM subsonic round suggest that there is some government demand, but it is still going for 85 cents a round or higher.

scojo
4 January 2016, 21:30
300 BLK didn't make much sense to me until I saw a video of a guy shooting subs with a can and ringing steel. It just looked as fun as heck.

DutyUse
4 January 2016, 22:22
As a new comer to the 300 I'll admit it's a niche cartridge. But it does an excellent job in role if you know its limitations. It really shines as a suppressed PDW IMHO