PDA

View Full Version : Took the new barrel for a test run

Pyzik
19 November 2015, 19:52
Shot with the new barrel for the first time today sighting in. Only had 1/2 an hour to get it sighted in. Can't wait to really lock it down and stretch it's legs!

50 yards, XM193. Target is 6". Bullseye is 1/2", inner rings are 1/2" and the 7 ring is 1" (for reference).

White Oak Armament 18" SPR (got in trade)
Milspec trigger (for now, need to figure out that to get)
Bushnell 1-4x BDC (for now)

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/pyzik200/Guns/2015-11-19%2017.59.47_zps3jzidsfq.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/pyzik200/Guns/26080_zpsmmgyvnbk.jpeg

GOST
19 November 2015, 19:54
What triggers you considering?

Pyzik
19 November 2015, 19:56
What triggers you considering?

Don't really have a clue right now, I need to do some more reading. I was thinking about doing my own trigger job on it for now with some JP springs.
Did this on my carbine and it made a world of difference. It's still no CMC or Geissele but much better than stock.

BoilerUp
19 November 2015, 20:11
Groups like that with XM193 are impressive, even at 50 yards. Brownell's has that barrel on sale for $219 right now and I'm very tempted, but am holding off to see if I find an equivalent deal on a Mega or Rainier. I like to support my hometown team, but I think highly of WOA.

Pyzik
19 November 2015, 20:17
Groups like that with XM193 are impressive, even at 50 yards. Brownell's has that barrel on sale for $219 right now and I'm very tempted, but am holding off to see if I find an equivalent deal on a Mega or Rainier. I like to support my hometown team, but I think highly of WOA.
I was surprised honestly, especially with this scope.

Had it not been a trade and I was purchasing, I would have gone Rainier.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cjd3
19 November 2015, 20:27
I'm happy with mine. I'm getting .75" 5 shot groups on good days with handloads, last week, it was shooting over 1". Probably a me problem.

alamo5000
19 November 2015, 20:37
First question more than anything... what is the purpose behind the build of your rifle? Basically what kind of gun are you building? Which the follow up to that will be what kind of performance is satisfactory for your desires?

alamo5000
19 November 2015, 20:40
As for triggers go, I don't have a lot of experience with other stuff but I love my CMC. Triggers though are a lot about preference.

On the scope, I ran one of those Bushnell 1-4x scopes that I ended up selling to James after I bought my Vortex.

With that scope I was running I was able to shoot sub moa at 100 yards... I had to take some time to get there but it did it. It definitely took lots of fiddling though.

DutyUse
19 November 2015, 21:57
Nice shooting bro, I almost feel bad for you guys who have to goto indoor ranges though... couldn't imagine being confined to a little spot and told what I could and couldn't do.

I'm with you on doing the trigger job yourself since you already have it in the gun. What can you lose by doing it? I'm really starting to warm up to my ALG ACT trigger for the price though, I really underestimated them when I first got it. If you do decide to replace I'd give ALG a hard look, I mean you can get like what 4 ALG's for the price of a geissele?

Pyzik
20 November 2015, 04:04
Nice shooting bro, I almost feel bad for you guys who have to goto indoor ranges though... couldn't imagine being confined to a little spot and told what I could and couldn't do.

I'm with you on doing the trigger job yourself since you already have it in the gun. What can you lose by doing it? I'm really starting to warm up to my ALG ACT trigger for the price though, I really underestimated them when I first got it. If you do decide to replace I'd give ALG a hard look, I mean you can get like what 4 ALG's for the price of a geissele?
Thanks man. But don't lie, you DO feel bad for us indoor shooters.
It is nice to have in the winter though.
I will be buying a membership to a club this spring and plan on being in a new house (area) by summer 2017.

I'll look at the ALG.

POU is a rifle that can get good hits (as close to MOA as I can do) at 200 to start and MAYBE 600 with more time and better glass.
There is a monthly match I'd like to start taking part in. 200, 400 & 600 yard shoots.

And of course it should be a rifle I could trust my life with should I need to.

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 04:08
Thanks man. But don't lie, you DO feel bad for us indoor shooters.
It is nice to have in the winter though.

I will be buying a membership to a club this spring and plan on being in a new house (area) by summer 2017.

I'll look at the ALG.

POU is a rifle that can get good hits (as close to MOA as I can do) at 200 to start and MAYBE 600 with more time and better glass.

There is a monthly match I'd like to start taking part in. 200, 400 & 600 yard shoots.

And of course it should be a rifle I could trust my life with should I need to.

Sorry bro forgot your doing long range work with that rig.
If your planning to shoot at extended range id skip the alg and go for something like a geissele ssa-e when the Black Friday sales roll around.

The ALG is a fine trigger and it's broken in nicely but I've got it in a 10.5 for 75 yards and in work which I think it shines in that role. If you start pushing it past 200 I think the weight and creep of the ALG might throw shots

Pyzik
20 November 2015, 04:10
Sorry bro forgot your doing long range work with that rig.
If your planning to shoot at extended range id skip the alg and go for something like a geissele ssa-e when the Black Friday sales roll around.

The ALG is a fine trigger and it's broken in nicely but I've got it in a 10.5 for 75 yards and in work which I think it shines in that role. If you start pushing it past 200 I think the weight and creep of the ALG might throw shots

Right. That sounds like it would be perfect in my carbine or the pistol that's in the works. I still need to do some reading. Long(ish) range has never been my game.

Slippers
20 November 2015, 06:01
Brownells was running a sale on the G2S-E for $150 I think. I have a few G2S, plus a SSA and SSA-E. There's no difference in feel between the G2S and SSA, same for the E version. Just slightly more annoying to install due to the clip on the G2S.

I used my 18" SPR setup for a long time with a G2S before switching to the SSA-E. More than adequate. The E is just a bit nicer.

Also, love WOA. If I could go back and do it again I would buy the barrel you got instead of my Noveske, and saved $150.

Pyzik
20 November 2015, 06:45
Brownells was running a sale on the G2S-E for $150 I think. I have a few G2S, plus a SSA and SSA-E. There's no difference in feel between the G2S and SSA, same for the E version. Just slightly more annoying to install due to the clip on the G2S.

I used my 18" SPR setup for a long time with a G2S before switching to the SSA-E. More than adequate. The E is just a bit nicer.

Also, love WOA. If I could go back and do it again I would buy the barrel you got instead of my Noveske, and saved $150.

Thanks for the tips on triggers!

That's good to hear about the barrel. I'd only ever heard of the name before the trade. I didn't know a think about them good or bad.

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 07:02
Good post slippers. I've never tried a G2S but it sounds like a winner

Slippers
20 November 2015, 07:12
I have a 20" WOA on my service match rifle. It loves 77 noslers. WOA barrels have been helping high power shooters win matches for a long time. The pricing is pretty reasonable, too.

Also, you can request bead blasting if your order direct, so it looks just like a Noveske barrel. :)

Pyzik
20 November 2015, 07:40
I have a 20" WOA on my service match rifle. It loves 77 noslers. WOA barrels have been helping high power shooters win matches for a long time. The pricing is pretty reasonable, too.

Also, you can request bead blasting if your order direct, so it looks just like a Noveske barrel. :)
I considered having mine bead blasted done since melonite is a no-no.

gatordev
20 November 2015, 13:06
I know it's only a sample of 1, but my SSA-E just isn't worth the extra cash compared to my several SSAs. Maybe my SSA-E is a "lemon" (relatively speaking), but I don't find it to be any more crisp than my SSAs. It's still a great trigger, just not worth the extra $30, or whatever the discount of the day is (to me).

I have one G2S and don't have a ton of rounds through it yet, but find it indistinguishable from my SSAs, as has been said.

BTW, Pyzik, I saw you post a pic over on Calguns. Was surprised to see you over there what with your location.

Pyzik
20 November 2015, 13:13
BTW, Pyzik, I saw you post a pic over on Calguns. Was surprised to see you over there what with your location.

I've gotten a few good deals on there so I browse the classifieds. Which led to pic threads... lol

Slippers
20 November 2015, 13:18
I never thought the E felt more crisp. Just lighter.

gatordev
20 November 2015, 13:33
I never thought the E felt more crisp. Just lighter.

I may have have chosen my words poorly and should have said it felt "less better" compared to what everyone raves about. Now that you say that, I don't think I've really felt a difference in "pull" (lighter/heavier), but again, mine just may be a little different.

I do acknowledge that I'm probably nit-picking the difference, much like arguing who was hotter in 2005: Amy Adams or Jenna Fischer.

Slippers
20 November 2015, 14:24
I went through the same thing as you the first time I used an SSA-E. It doesn't feel noticeably different. To me, the first stage feels about the same. The second stage is just *barely* lighter. That's it. This is why I consider the G2S the best two stage trigger for the cost. It works well for any type of use.

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 15:07
Dang now you got me looking around for a G2S...

BoilerUp
20 November 2015, 16:45
Dang now you got me looking around for a G2S...

The -E removes 0.2 lbs from the 1st stage and 0.8 lbs from the 2nd stage for a total reduction from 4.5 to 3.5 lbs. I imagine splitting the total reduction across two stages makes it harder to tell the difference in the individual stages.

Cyber Monday exclusive: G2S for $115 https://geissele.com/blackfriday

DutyUse
20 November 2015, 16:46
Dang that's a smokin price!

Pyzik
20 November 2015, 17:21
The -E removes 0.2 lbs from the 1st stage and 0.8 lbs from the 2nd stage for a total reduction from 4.5 to 3.5 lbs. I imagine splitting the total reduction across two stages makes it harder to tell the difference in the individual stages.

Cyber Monday exclusive: G2S for $115 https://geissele.com/blackfriday
Do I have to wait till monday? Not seeing the price change.

Slippers
20 November 2015, 17:50
That's crazy cheap. $115 is less than tier 1 dealer (which is the absolute best price from Geissele). I might buy a few just to have for future builds.

UWone77
20 November 2015, 21:00
That's crazy cheap. $115 is less than tier 1 dealer (which is the absolute best price from Geissele). I might buy a few just to have for future builds.

Remember when G2S's were only sold as OEM triggers and not to the general public?

Pyzik
21 November 2015, 05:42
Now I feel obligated to buy it. [BD]

DutyUse
21 November 2015, 05:58
Now I feel obligated to buy it. [BD]

I think when you get it installed you'll be glad you did. I dont realize how much of difference a nice trigger makes until I shoot a friends mil spec... And for that price it seems like a no brainier

Pyzik
21 November 2015, 06:03
I think when you get it installed you'll be glad you did. I dont realize how much of difference a nice trigger makes until I shoot a friends mil spec... And for that price it seems like a no brainier
I believe it. When I doped the taccom trigger in my AK it was more than night and day (even against my AR).

I think I will get this. Drop it in this AR.

Wish I could try an ACT against my trigger job in my carbine with the JP springs.

DutyUse
21 November 2015, 06:09
I believe it. When I doped the taccom trigger in my AK it was more than night and day (even against my AR).

Wish I could try an ACT against my trigger job in my carbine with the JP springs.

Dave I'm gonna shoot you a PM. I think I might be able to help ya

Former11B
21 November 2015, 09:21

In my 10.5" AR, I have an ALG MilSpec with JP Springs and a Joe Bob trigger adjuster (got it for $10), and while the combo REALLY improves it and makes a huge difference over a MilSpec trigger you'd get in a random LPK, it's not competitive with a real quality trigger.

Kinda like me putting RTV silicon in a standard charging handle prevents blowback when shooting suppressed, but it's not up to par with a Griffin SNACH. Might be a bad comparison, but I only did that trigger "upgrade" because I was able to do it all for about $50, including the ALG trigger itself.

In my 18" SPR, I run a Geisselle SSA-E. I got it vs the regular version just due to the slightly lower pull weight advertised, not based on experience with either. I love it and it makes shooting on a "precision" rig great. I say it in quotes because with a 10x scope I'm not looking at shooting the smallest MOA groups; I want it to be a capable rifle out to 600 yards on a human size target. I've got a different 5.56 rifle I shoot for groups....I consider my 18" to be more of a combat set up I guess. I made it the rifle I wish I could have carried in Iraq

GOST
21 November 2015, 11:15
Geissele Cyber Monday Deal G2S $115

https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html

BoilerUp
21 November 2015, 11:16
I made it the rifle I wish I could have carried in Iraq

Do you have a post on that? I'd like to see your set up and hear your perspective on the choices you made. Plus pictures. I like pictures.

Pyzik
21 November 2015, 11:18
Geissele Cyber Monday Deal G2S $115

https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html
Very seriously considering it. Though I like single stage. :(

GOST
21 November 2015, 11:22
Very seriously considering it. Though I like single stage. :(

Have you considered an EDT? I think both Eric and SwissyJim have used one.

http://www.rainierarms.com/hiperfire-hipertouch-edt

Pyzik
21 November 2015, 12:31
Have you considered an EDT? I think both Eric and SwissyJim have used one.

http://www.rainierarms.com/hiperfire-hipertouch-edt
Seems like a fair price. Will look em up!

Ride4frnt
22 November 2015, 18:26
Dude, no question. Go with a G trigger on that gun. You'll love it. SSA-E is like butter on a gun like that.

Black Friday the ssa and ssa-e will be $165 and $180 with a free trigger fitting pin.

mustangfreek
23 November 2015, 01:33
This went from shooting to talking triggers..
That g2s deal is killer....who can loan the ginger money on a long payment plan...damnit all these good deals you fellas are posting..:P