PDA

View Full Version : Is there any reason to buy a 9mm suppressor?

alamo5000
24 November 2015, 19:53
I've been stewing over getting a 9mm suppressor for quite some time.

I had a few 9mm cans in mind and I was narrowing down my list...but now that the Griffin Optimus is coming to market... why in the world should I even consider getting a dedicated 9mm can?

With the Optimus the main thing is versatility.

If I bought the Optimus and let's just say I never used it on any of the other calibers...Head to Head with the Revolution 9... the numbers stack up like this:

With the Optimus on the GA video it says 9mm subs register 131 DB on a pistol (1:26 of the video) but in the very next segment it says sub sonic is 122 DB in an MP5 (1:40). I am not really sure how that can be? What causes that?

On the GA Revolution 9 though it says it meters right around 125 DB in Silencer Shop's video. On GA's site they say "34DB attenuation"...

If I am reading this all correctly that basically means roughly the full size dedicated 9mm can is about 5 or 6 DB quieter than the Optimus (on a 9mm). Of course it matters ammo and host weapon but that is just a rough guess. (That is comparing the full size of the Revolution 9 to the Optimus in 9mm configuration) When you put the Revolution in K configuration (the shorter configuration) the suppression seems a lot closer to each other. (Per Silencer Shop's video the average is just over 128 DB in K configuration or only 2-3 DB difference)

It seems like comparing the K configuration to the Optimus in 9mm would be a pretty similar result.

Now to throw more in the mix per Silencer Shop's other video my Recce 5 meters right around 130 DB. So is that sound level about what I can expect out of the K configuration on the K config Rev 9 or the Optimus? (minus the sonic crack of course)

Does this sound about right? I am thinking out loud here trying to do my homework and coming up with some pros and cons to each.

alamo5000
24 November 2015, 20:33
I don't know if it's worth it or not to and compare the Optimus in .22 configuration to say the Checkmate QD...If someone knows by all means do share because I am curious about that too.

On a .308 you are looking at almost identical suppression between the Recce 7 and the Optimus. Maybe a couple of DB only difference.

The Optimus will definitely save money for sure vs buying dedicated cans... for the .22 and the 9mm (both) it would be roughly within $150 ish dollars...but then say you wanted a Recce 7 to cover .30 cal....Overall the Optimus would save you about $1000 or so (all inclusive including tax stamps) vs getting dedicated cans for each caliber.

I am just wondering if there is any reason to go one route vs the other? Other than just that extra thousand bucks to cover .30 cal...money aside is what I am wondering about.

DeviantLogic
24 November 2015, 20:45
Any suppressor I get I want it to serve as many items as possible. For that reason a dedicated 9mm suppressor is never going to be on my list. For pistols, I mostly shoot 45 and 40 anyways...so I'd get a .45 can if/when I get a suppressor dedicated to pistols. The modularity of the Optimus is awesome, and might be on my 2016 list of purchases. The Liberty Mystic X is another one I like...primarily because of the MAAD mount adapter, allowing you to use the SilencerCo MAAD Mounts to attach to other popular muzzle devices.

alamo5000
24 November 2015, 21:02
Any suppressor I get I want it to serve as many items as possible. For that reason a dedicated 9mm suppressor is never going to be on my list. For pistols, I mostly shoot 45 and 40 anyways...so I'd get a .45 can if/when I get a suppressor dedicated to pistols. The modularity of the Optimus is awesome, and might be on my 2016 list of purchases. The Liberty Mystic X is another one I like...primarily because of the MAAD mount adapter, allowing you to use the SilencerCo MAAD Mounts to attach to other popular muzzle devices.

The Optimus can't shoot .40 or .45...

That said the Optimus is throwing a monkey wrench into my thought process :) It's a very attractive option though. Definitely.

Rome wasn't built in a day. I just need to stew on it and eventually choose a route. On one hand though I kind of want to have one for each but I don't really have any particular reason for that other than I might eek out a little bit better performance here or there (maybe). Maybe it's because the Optimus didn't exist when I started forming my opinions about stuff.

DeviantLogic
24 November 2015, 21:22
Right, in order to shoot 40 or 45, you're looking at dedicated pistol suppressors. The Griffin Optimus looks like a great setup. If it was my first can, it's what I'd be buying. The only thing that holds me up is having to change out muzzle devices...the cost of switching over is about as much as the can :) If you already have a Recce 5 then you'd be able to use your existing flash hiders/compensators.

Dstrbdmedic167
24 November 2015, 21:44
You're not gonna listen to us anyway. We told you to get the Recce 7 and you went with the Recce 5. [BD]

But in all seriousness it really depends on what host and intended long term use is. Where is the can gonna be at home. On a rifle or pistol? You have the Recce 5, so why not get a dedicated pistol can.

This is why I went with a 7.62 can, 45 can and a 22 can. My trifecta is compete should the laws get Squirrley. I can always add dedicated cans now but now all my bases are covered...

alamo5000
24 November 2015, 22:36
You're not gonna listen to us anyway. We told you to get the Recce 7 and you went with the Recce 5. [BD]

But in all seriousness it really depends on what host and intended long term use is. Where is the can gonna be at home. On a rifle or pistol? You have the Recce 5, so why not get a dedicated pistol can.

This is why I went with a 7.62 can, 45 can and a 22 can. My trifecta is compete should the laws get Squirrley. I can always add dedicated cans now but now all my bases are covered...

HAHAAA! I am listening. Otherwise I wouldn't be in this boat. I didn't own anything before. Then I came to WEVO with all your sexy pictures and tactical talk... :)

My next can I want to be for a pistol. It will most likely live on a Sig 226 or maybe other guns that I may get in the future. I am thinking 9mm because it's a popular caliber that has tons of different hosts that I can get. I can get so many things in 9mm it's just stupid... plus I can buy a ton of ammo. Don't get me wrong, I love my .45 but 'if I had to pick just one' (which I don't)...it would probably be 9mm.

Ideally I will have one rifle suppressor in a battle rifle caliber (IE AR)...and a 9mm. Between those two I am GTG in the event that there is a zombie apocalypse. I can shoot more for cheaper with both of those very common calibers too. Because of all that I am kind of gravitating to those being my two main go to calibers...they are both sufficient for self defense and reasonably priced recreation. In a true SHTF situation those would be what I could have and be stocked up on. Instead of having 15 calibers I can live on two. Realistically if I could keep a few thousand rounds of each caliber that would be good. Honestly I would kind of rather have a lot of a few things than a few of a lot of things.

That said it's not like I don't already have a bunch of calibers....and I can still shoot unsuppressed. Once I get my core bases of a pistol and a rifle covered everything else is 'nice to have'. Getting into .22 with a rifle and a pistol will probably be high on the next thing list and truth be told I probably can just buy the .22 suppressor before I ever get the guns for it, mainly because the process to get the can is so cumbersome.

Not that I don't like bigger rifle calibers but I am being realistic in the cost of shooting for me and my 'strategy' for things. Realistically if I do go into the larger rifle calibers it will probably be up the road at least a year or two. It's not high on the priority list. So realistically spending an extra thousand bucks spread out over the course of several years, especially for a long term investment... it's not that big of a deal.

Two or three years from now, or hell, maybe before then I might win the lottery.... but in the mean time I have to create my own version of a strategy. I am not a full blown prepper but in some ways it does kind of appeal to me on a certain level.

Former11B
25 November 2015, 07:54
I like caliber specific cans because I have no issue with the "suppress 'em all" mentality. A jack-of-all-trades can was never something I needed or wanted.

I want to open my safe one day and each gun have a can on it (Save for my conceal carry pistol and my few trophy guns).

To each, his own, for sure, it just depends on your needs. I like my dedicated 9mm suppressor. It's really light and quiet.

For example, the Rev9 is 2 ounces lighter but an inch longer than the Optimus in Pistol Config. according to their site. Only an eighth of a pound difference, but a difference nonetheless.

If I had ZERO suppressors right now, I would probably buy the Optimus so I could cover some bases til I saved up for more, but eventually, the Optimus would end up on one rifle only, and I'd have other rifle/pistol cans so it's functionality would be wasted on me after a certain point. I'm past that point now, so the Optimus isn't right for me. I'd rather buy a Recce 7 and an M4SDII and a Rev9 and a Checkmate to go with my Recce 5 (and other cans). But that's just MY style. I don't want to be fiddling and converting. I want to set down this suppressed gun, and pick up that suppressed gun, rinse, repeat.

alamo5000
25 November 2015, 08:16
I like caliber specific cans because I have no issue with the "suppress 'em all" mentality. A jack-of-all-trades can was never something I needed or wanted.

I want to open my safe one day and each gun have a can on it (Save for my conceal carry pistol and my few trophy guns).

To each, his own, for sure, it just depends on your needs. I like my dedicated 9mm suppressor. It's really light and quiet.

For example, the Rev9 is 2 ounces lighter but an inch longer than the Optimus in Pistol Config. according to their site. Only an eighth of a pound difference, but a difference nonetheless.

If I had ZERO suppressors right now, I would probably buy the Optimus so I could cover some bases til I saved up for more, but eventually, the Optimus would end up on one rifle only, and I'd have other rifle/pistol cans so it's functionality would be wasted on me after a certain point. I'm passed that point now, so the Optimus isn't right for me. I'd rather buy a Recce 7 and an M4SDII and a Rev9 and a Checkmate to go with my Recce 5 (and other cans). But that's just MY style. I don't want to be fiddling and converting. I want to set down this suppressed gun, and pick up that suppressed gun, rinse, repeat.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. It's something more to think about. Yes overall it is more money but there are benefits. Plus if something goes wrong you still have other suppressors. I also kind of had my mind set to look in the gun cabinet one day and see a suppressor on every gun...

Also what happens if you have a baffle strike or something goes on... then (at least for a while) you have nothing suppressed if there is just one suppressor involved.

At the end of the day though-- and maybe other people can comment on it or offer ideas or suggestions---but the idea of having two main go to calibers (5.56 and 9mm) and ultimately having several guns in each and having enough reasonably priced ammo and supplies is kind of my goal. Any comments on that? How does everyone else do it? Or has anyone ever even thought about it?

Of course I still have other guns in other calibers... and eventually I would add .22 to that list... but .40, .45, .300 blackout, .308 etc are something else. Once I get my core stuff down then branching out to stock up on other stuff... sure.

DutyUse
25 November 2015, 09:02
I like the idea of having a 9mm suppressor that can double as a subsonic 300Blk rig

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
3 December 2015, 14:58
I would be really surprised if someone bought an Optimus and never fired it on another caliber.

If a dedicated 9mm can is what you want, the Rev 9 might be a better value (lower cost, lighter weight). The MP5 has a 10" barrel so it is quite a bit more quiet than a pistol barrel. We also shot the Optimus on a 14.5" 38 special 1873 and it was pure stealth. Nuts. That is like a 9mm with a 14.5" barrel.

alamo5000
3 December 2015, 16:47
I would be really surprised if someone bought an Optimus and never fired it on another caliber.

If a dedicated 9mm can is what you want, the Rev 9 might be a better value (lower cost, lighter weight). The MP5 has a 10" barrel so it is quite a bit more quiet than a pistol barrel. We also shot the Optimus on a 14.5" 38 special 1873 and it was pure stealth. Nuts. That is like a 9mm with a 14.5" barrel.

How much does a Revolution 9 and an Optimus knock down .22 LR?

Slippers
3 December 2015, 18:53

So torn between a rev 9 or octane 9 for a tri lug setup. Decisions, decisions!

alamo5000
3 December 2015, 18:58

If it's of any consequence I now have can #2 on the way. I ordered a Revolution 9 this evening. [:D]

Son of a bitch! I hate those Griffin guys! I shake my wallet and fist in their general direction. [BD]

alamo5000
3 December 2015, 19:03

For about a hundred bucks less... I don't know why you wouldn't pick the Rev 9. Full auto rated and identical sound suppression... plus there is more modular options (full or K) with the Griffin.

Slippers
3 December 2015, 22:16
I'm more curious about the back pressure of both cans than anything else. Full auto rating is also necessary, but they both are so no big deal.

Former11B
4 December 2015, 05:23
If it's of any consequence I now have can #2 on the way. I ordered a Revolution 9 this evening. [:D]

Son of a bitch! I hate those Griffin guys! I shake my wallet and fist in their general direction. [BD]

I heard an Octane 9 and a Ti-Rant 9 on a Glock 19 and the Octane had an unpleasant tone even with subsonics. The Ti-Rant....and I'm not a huge AAC fan for rifle cans, but I'd have to go for their pistol can or Griffins in this case

cjd3
4 December 2015, 19:12

Didn't you just get done waiting?

Dstrbdmedic167
4 December 2015, 19:22

You know it never stops.... I'm itching for another!

UWone77
4 December 2015, 19:34

Now we get to hear about it for the next 4 months....

I keeeeeeeed.... [BD]

cjd3
4 December 2015, 21:43
Same boat, still waiting, it never ends.

alamo5000
5 December 2015, 03:29

Now we get to hear about it for the next 4 months....

I keeeeeeeed.... [BD]

HAAAAHAAA!!! LOL! I KNOW Right! I am going to go on a road trip with Uwone and kick the back of the driver's seat every 30 minutes asking 'are we there yet?? I GOTTAAA PEEE!' HAAHAAA!!!

Then of course he will respond, 'boy don't make me come back there!' giving me the one arm behind the head swat. HAHAA!!!

I did just get done waiting not too long ago. The Recce 5 was my first one and honestly I was kind of not sure what I was in for. Ever since I was a kid I wanted one but now pandoras box is opened. It's only limited by my wallet. But in the end I am loving suppression so I have been thinking it over too much as usual. Really since it is kind of a pain in the ass to buy one and generally you're stuck with it forever so I wanted to make wise choices.

With the 9mm can it actually has several benefits that suit me perfectly so I am confident in my choice.

Here is basically what it boils down to... in my prepper mind... (no I am not really a prepper but I do like to be prepared) I want to have two main go to calibers with a 3rd thrown in there. 5.56, 9mm, and 22. I have the 5.56 covered and soon I will have the 9mm covered... I also discovered that you can shoot .22 through the 9mm just fine... and it suppresses pretty good. GA is also making .22 end caps to up the awesome level even more. I can also buy 3 lug adapters and put them on a .22 pistol and rifle... and have a QD .22 suppressor just like the checkmate. Basically bases will be covered.

So then with my main go to calibers I can start focusing on those... so when bullshit happens (like this terrorist attack) and they want to ban guns or whatever... I can have a stock of the big 3 to carry me over between panics.

For reloading I will buy small rifle and small pistol primers even if I don't need em... I will buy bullets even if I don't need em... same with powder or whatever. I can borrow an automated press and basically wind up with 2 or 3 or more giant ice chests full of 9mm subs or a few more full of match .223...

I also might buy more pistol hosts, but at least I am not rocking the boat in doing so. I am basically focusing my efforts. Since I am not a millionaire yet I have to coordinate my efforts so that I can shoot enough even when the store shelves are barren. So yeah it is a silencer but I am figuring out how all this floats in the big picture.

Anyway you get the picture...so logically the next step is buying that 9mm can :)

I might have yet another surprise coming up here again soon too :) That's under wraps for now....

alamo5000
5 December 2015, 03:46

Just because you had sex once and you tell me you're not satisified? [BD]

It's like a damn crack habit :)

Maybe we should have a hoarders edition of guns stuff...

Slippers
5 December 2015, 05:21
Soooo what happens when you run the rev in the K configuration dry instead of wet? Less suppression? Hearing safe with subs? Full auto safe?

alamo5000
5 December 2015, 08:26
Soooo what happens when you run the rev in the K configuration dry instead of wet? Less suppression? Hearing safe with subs? Full auto safe?

I will respond because I have been reading a lot about these. I am not the manufacturer though and they have been teaching me a bunch.

In the K config on a pistol it meters about 130 to 132 dry on a pistol. If you run it wet it apparently knocks down the first round pop some but I don't know how much.

And I just learned this..if you are shooting on something with a longer barrel those numbers drop ALOT, probably 10 DB due to barrel length alone.

On the same host you get about a 6-10 DB difference between full and K config.

As for full auto I think it's full auto regardless of the configuration.

Watch the video below... he has a short K configuration with a 3 lug mounted on an MP5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGJ8dJPP5s

So basically I would guess, on a submachine gun in K configuration (due to barrel length) you get in the low 120's. (That's what the optimus does and the Rev 9 should be better)

Also for the record the Optimus uses the same material for their baffles as the Rev 9... and the Optimus is shot in essentially K configuration ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCP4AF8Hv-k

At 1:28 you should see about what you would get on a sub machine gun in K configuration... It's a different suppressor but I think they are roughly close enough. However the Rev 9 might be a slight bit quieter.

One more video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMyAFR1S69w

Silencer Shop metered an average of 125 DB out of the full config on a pistol vs 128 DB on the K configuration.

On anything with a longer barrel those numbers apparently drop a lot.

Slippers
5 December 2015, 10:13
I'm going to be using it on a 4.5" barrel, so it'll be louder I guess. Hmmm. I guess the K configuration may not work for me. I wanted to keep the overall length as short as possible.

voodoo_man
5 December 2015, 10:39
Gemtech gm9

Gcore ftw.

alamo5000
5 December 2015, 10:40
My next thing up for discussion is this: I don't know WHY Sig has to be a big pain in the ass on their threaded barrels. Everyone else on the planet uses 1/2x28. That is the piston I got with my can. That way if I am swapping hosts or whatever it's easy. So if or rather when I buy more host weapons I can move it around with less hassle.

Silencerco has some new barrels out that have normal threads for the Sig 226. I am guessing I am going to have to go that route since there seems to be no other options out there.

DutyUse
5 December 2015, 16:07
Here is basically what it boils down to... in my prepper mind... (no I am not really a prepper but I do like to be prepared) I want to have two main go to calibers with a 3rd thrown in there. 5.56, 9mm, and 22.

So then with my main go to calibers I can start focusing on those...

Not to get off topic but I always find it interesting that people who "stock up" on ammo often forget and/or discount the 12ga. I love .22 as much as the next guy but if I could only have 3 rounds I'd certainly take the versatility of a shotgun over a .22lr.

Okay I'll get off my soapbox now :)

alamo5000
5 December 2015, 16:10
Not to get off topic but I always find it interesting that people who "stock up" on ammo often forget and/or discount the 12ga. I love .22 as much as the next guy but if I could only have 3 rounds I'd certainly take the versatility of a shotgun over a .22lr.

I come from a LONG line of shotgunners. Believe me. That part is covered :)

UWone77
5 December 2015, 16:18

I like shooting 12ga Slugs, hard to find decent practice ammo though. Seems like all I ever see is high end stuff.

voodoo_man
5 December 2015, 17:38
12g shotguns?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3SBi8gMf8BqBG/giphy.gif

DutyUse
5 December 2015, 17:42
I like shooting 12ga Slugs, hard to find decent practice ammo though. Seems like all I ever see is high end stuff.

When I'm buying them in bulk I try and get them from Sgammo. They have some good deals from time to time.

Luckily I have a buddy that casts and loads for us, but we have a good supply of free lead to melt down that keeps the price cheap. Every time we rotate and balance people's vehicles or change out tires the weights used to calibrate the wheels are lead. We end up with buckets full each week.

Thompson
5 December 2015, 17:49
Seems like all I ever see is high end stuff.
Any particulars?

What's considered decent practice ammo?

alamo5000
5 December 2015, 19:07

Next time you are out try some cut shells.

Have you ever seen or heard of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU