PDA

View Full Version : Ambi CMT Lower

alamo5000
1 December 2015, 17:27
I am just curious if anyone has an ambi CMT billet lower?

I have a regular CMT set and I love em.

That said for some reason I am sort of unsure of the ambi thing, or if I would even make use of it, or what functions are actually ambi. I think the bolt catch/release is ambi as is the mag release...

Has anyone used them? Are there any downsides? What are the odds of bumping/hitting/or pushing the mag release while carrying the rifle (for example)?

I am sure they would be overly awesome because CMT does not put out junk... that said can you take the pre-installed parts out for replacement if ever needed? Would they hold up over a really long time (like 20+ years) or would they eventually need to be replaced?

I am not quite sure of how those ambi levers actually function (internal workings) or if there are some proprietary parts in there or what...

Thanks!

cjd3
5 December 2015, 12:12
I should have mine in a few days. I'll letcha know how it feels. I had a SanTan blemished lower and sold it because of the slop.

Joelski
5 December 2015, 13:16
I have this lower, with the Rainier Arms markings and it's right up there with the best of them. The Ambi controls (Left is off-handed for me) are easy to reach and operate and tolerances are good. I have not experienced any unintentional mag drops in several outings, running single and two point slings. I think you'll like it quite well, and don't anticipate the additional controls ever wearing out for me.

alamo5000
5 December 2015, 13:34
I bought a regular CMT lower already because I am familiar with them but also because I don't think I will ever use the ambi stuff. None the less I am still interested.

DutyUse
5 December 2015, 13:52
Cmt makes the nicest ambi lowers that I've handled so far. Really like the controls

UWone77
11 December 2015, 17:53
Once you install a BAD-ASS it really becomes a full ambi lower. For lefties this is a nice feature to have. I'd say the only down sides are cost. If you're a righty, you may not be using a lot of these features, so it may not be worth it. If you like doing off hand drills, it helps.

I'm sure the springs could wear out on the ambi controls, but probably no faster than any other spring on your lower.

Joelski
11 December 2015, 18:16
A little off-side shooting practice never hurt anybody. Those controls come in handy shooting from cover when you can only shoot with your weak side. OTOH, if you practice, you won't have a truly weak side.

GaSwamper
11 December 2015, 19:37
I have one and love it! There is no downside that I can find except maybe I get so used to haveing the bolt release at my right finger tip I catch myself feeling for it on other lowers now.

GaSwamper
11 December 2015, 19:42
I do feel this is a lifetime part, the controls are all solid and don't think there will be a wear issue. I've also been using this rifle stalking, walking, climbing for months now and not single accident with controls, rifle slung in front and back.

DutyUse
11 December 2015, 21:14
I have one and love it! There is no downside that I can find except maybe I get so used to haveing the bolt release at my right finger tip I catch myself feeling for it on other lowers now.

I agree. I'd put that feature on all my lowers if I could. It's non-obtrusive and feels like it's in a natural position, I really like it.

cjd3
19 December 2015, 22:19
I've built mine up now, and am pretty happy with the dry testing I've put it through. Mates nicely with it's UPUR brother. However, the only downside I can see is the ambi mag release is a bit pointy at the top, and may snag something. However, I am very happy with this lower.