PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned.

Uffdaphil
4 December 2015, 09:48
1. Don"t assume a "new" upper will funtion right out of the box. My Noveske Gen III obtained in a swap was indeed new, but who knows how long it sat in the box.First time out yesteday it would load, but not fire. No firing pin dimple and felt a bit sluggish charging the BCG. Well, even though I slopped some CLP through the ejection port the night before, the bolt would barely move by hand. Dried out coating (Froglube?) felt like tacky glue. Swapped in a proven BCG and all good. Learned that degreaser is my friend.

2. If you are as bad a shot as me you can get by without high sights on a pistol suppressor. My G19 has tall sights while the P226 does not. At close range sighting down the can surface the Sig still did better than the Glock. Learned that I'm too cheap to spring for taller Sig sights.

3. After months of searching occasionally for a missing Mbus Pro sight, I still never remember whether I'm missing a front or rear. Pulled a pile out of the safe to plck for range and ding, ding, ding -- one rifle missing front and one missing rear. Learned (okay, confirmed) that I am an idiot.

Deadwing
9 December 2015, 20:43
I'm glad i'm not the only one who learns little lessons like these. [BD]

UWone77
9 December 2015, 21:04
Reminds me of the first time I spent big $$ on a BCM. Spent another 1k "upgrading" it. By the time I made it to the first range trip, malfunction city.

Uffdaphil
10 December 2015, 10:37
Spent an hour scrubbing the crud of the BCG. Degreaser did not do well. Mineral spirits worked better. Installed a BCM upgrade spring and left off the O-ring. Functioned 100% at the range yesterday.

Let a couple of guys try the Sig with can and they too shot well using tube top for sight.

Deadwing
10 December 2015, 10:45
Sounds like you're still missing an MBUS Pro... :P

Uffdaphil
10 December 2015, 11:06
I grabbed two more sets on Black Friday so will not be caught short again.

Joelski
10 December 2015, 14:00
Don't "test fit" something (like, oh, a trigger) and not take it completely apart prior to final assembly. Embarrassing times will ensue! :D

Uffdaphil
10 December 2015, 15:15
Yesiree Ski. And if the lower in the vise points the opposite direction of the Geissele diagram the spring legs may entertain.