PDA

View Full Version : SBR Discussion-- My Build

alamo5000
8 December 2015, 18:15
I know it's been discussed before but for the record...

I have a lower that is either already at, or will soon be at my FFL. Shortly thereafter it will be off to be engraved.

I already bought some parts as well, and I am asking for stuff for Christmas as well... hence the thread.

Before I go into what all I am building is it true or not true that 10.3 or 10.5 builds can be more finickey than a longer build such as an 11.5 or a 12.5?

From what I recall...the whole dwell time thing matters a lot.... as does the correct porting on the barrel. And will an adjustable gas block help the gun run more smoothly when talking about such issues?

----

Now for what I am building....

*CMT non ambi lower (already bought, just have to pick it up)
*probably a CMT slick side upper (depends on Santa Claus)
*CMC 3.5lb single stage flat trigger (bought already)
*Rainier Phosphate BCG (bought already)
*SLR 10" Mlok solo lite handguard (depends on Santa)
*Probably a MFT minimalist stock (undecided)
*11.5" barrel (unknown yet)
*SLR adjustable gas block
*One of the griffin taper mounts so I can use my can on it (either the minimalist or the hammer comp so far)
*Griffin Snatch
*Probably an Aimpoint T2 with a lower 1/3 mount (probably the CMT mount)

Depends on how long the engraving process takes, but hopefully I will Form 1 soon.

alamo5000
8 December 2015, 18:19
Other questions or comments would be welcome about my choices of stock or whatnot. The reason I kind of like that one is because the bottom of it is sort of angled which in my opinion could get me more options on shooting styles.... the stock I have now if I hold it up like that it digs into my shoulder.

Are there any other stocks that are light weight and also have a slightly angled lower edge?

alamo5000
8 December 2015, 18:24
I also plan to run a VFG on there as well as a light. I will also use Battle Arms safety levers... long and scalloped work great.

alamo5000
8 December 2015, 18:28
I should also note that due to my upcoming trip this build might take a while to finish out :) BUT at least I have most of the stuff already including stamp for when that time arrives.

Uffdaphil
8 December 2015, 18:58
The long thread on M4C makes good points about the better dwell time with an 11.5" in 5.56. However the military mostly uses the ~ inch shorter sbrs I think pretty much exclusively. If you plan on shooting the *cheapest ammo I would go 11.5. But since Mil-spec brass case 55grn is the cheapest I use I feel comfy with 10.5. I had a 10.5 LMT that was problem free and currently run a factory Centurion 10.5 (maybe 10.3) upper that I got a deal on cuz it's finicky with the cheapo steel cased. Since I can mount my Recce 7 can for more dwell time it probably would shoot the garbage stuff now too. The cheapest barrels I trust are Ballistic Advantage.*

Since BCM did the definitive study of the benefits of 11.5", that is what I would get if you decide on that length. Their gas block too for piece of mind. Good luck.

alamo5000
8 December 2015, 19:20
The long thread on M4C makes good points about the better dwell time with an 11.5" in 5.56. However the military mostly uses the ~ inch shorter sbrs I think pretty much exclusively. If you plan on shooting the *cheapest ammo I would go 11.5. But since Mil-spec brass case 55grn is the cheapest I use I feel comfy with 10.5. I had a 10.5 LMT that was problem free and currently run a factory Centurion 10.5 (maybe 10.3) upper that I got a deal on cuz it's finicky with the cheapo steel cased. Since I can mount my Recce 7 can for more dwell time it probably would shoot the garbage stuff now too. The cheapest barrels I trust are Ballistic Advantage.*

Since BCM did the definitive study of the benefits of 11.5", that is what I would get if you decide on that length. Their gas block too for piece of mind. Good luck.

I have been leaning towards 11.5 just because. I don't really have a reason. I guess it's just a happy medium. I haven't done the form 1 yet so there is still a chance to change my mind.

I do want to go with the SLR block because I had issues using their rails with other blocks. Plus they look bad ass.

alamo5000
8 December 2015, 19:26
As far as ammo for this gun I want it to be able to run anything for the most part. My other rifle I take time to shoot tight groups and far distances. This one is going to be a completely different type of set up.

RiverRat
8 December 2015, 19:32
On a whim a couple of years ago, I bought a sale priced 10.5" Rainier Match (carbine gas) and mini-comp. Runs like a (flamethrowing) top using anything down to PMC 55gr. Literally zero malfunctions so far. I think most reputable manufacturers have the port size pretty well dialed in for 10.5" carbine barrels these days.

An adjustable block would matter only if your barrel were seriously overgassed in your configuration. Personally, I would start without and retrofit only if needed.

Dstrbdmedic167
8 December 2015, 19:38
I vote for a 10.5". The MFT stock is a great option and I highly recommend! I also say ditch the VFG and get an Arisaka Fingerstop. I was very hesitant and didnt really see the point in them until I used one. Now one goes on every build! Everything looks like a great build!

DutyUse
8 December 2015, 19:44
I second the 10.5 barrel. If your gonna sbr might aswell go as short as possible

alamo5000
8 December 2015, 19:52
I vote for a 10.5". The MFT stock is a great option and I highly recommend! I also say ditch the VFG and get an Arisaka Fingerstop. I was very hesitant and didnt really see the point in them until I used one. Now one goes on every build! Everything looks like a great build!

I would like a 10.5 because why go small if you don't go all the way small... that said I don't want to have all kinds of bullshit problems or ammo issues or have something that is picky on ammo.

DutyUse
8 December 2015, 19:55
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/f99b59606fcf1cd4d90c8741caeec469.jpg

Our 10.5 ballistic advantage barrel & GB has been 100%. It's tore down currently to swap to a different upper, but I'm very impressed for the price.

Dstrbdmedic167
8 December 2015, 20:02
I would like a 10.5 because why go small if you don't go all the way small... that said I don't want to have all kinds of bullshit problems or ammo issues or have something that is picky on ammo.

I doubt you'd have that many and besides you're gonna be running a sentry GB.. not like you can't fine tune it to what it likes...

din
9 December 2015, 01:24
Look at the barrels Sionics makes. They have made science and a beautiful 11.5". If you're planning on running it suppressed they also have an 11.5" barrel with a gas port sized specifically for that. BCM's stocks are almost as light as the MFT, but just go with what you like more. And to help reliability, Vltor A5 receiver extension. There's a long, long, long thread about it over on M4C.

DutyUse
9 December 2015, 01:59
Speaking of stocks I have the MFT on one of my lowers and I like it a lot. Probably my favorite stock at the moment t. However I'm going to try one of the BCM's on my newest build. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the popular units out there... Hell I still use and like the ctr

Farva
9 December 2015, 08:16
I've had the BCM stock on my SBR since her creation and so far it's not bad. Still a fan of the B5 stocks. I've been thinking of putting a MFT stock on the 14.5" in place of the UBR to shave some weight of the fat gal. Now as far as barrels my 10.5 is a rainier barrel and it's been flawless so far. My 11.5" build will be a BCM barrel though.

SwissyJim
9 December 2015, 10:57
I've got a 10½ Aero barrel and have thrown every kind of ammo I can buy locally at it, and not a single hiccup. I'm in the process of dialing in reloads for it, and it is running sweet. I'd say go short! And the MFT stock is great... a 458Socom 10½ upper also uses the same SBR lower, and the stock handles the thumper just fine.

alamo5000
9 December 2015, 14:49
10.5 wins :) That's what it's going to be.

I should be getting an invoice probably in the morning for some extra stuff I have going on ;)

I don't want to spoil the fun so once my two hook ups happen I will let yall know the story.

Ride4frnt
9 December 2015, 15:10
My sbr is 10.5" mas defense barrel. Cheap enough that if it doesn't last it's no skin off my back. Runs all ammo I've put through it, but I don't shoot steel case ammo.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/09/661cbc1a6f178b96c7a93ed5ba766a98.jpg

UWone77
9 December 2015, 17:04
I'm planning on another Ballistic Advantage 10.3 or 10.5 for my next SBR upper. It'll be used with the Superlative Arms Piston Kit.

alamo5000
9 December 2015, 17:07
I'm planning on another Ballistic Advantage 10.3 or 10.5 for my next SBR upper. It'll be used with the Superlative Arms Piston Kit.

Speaking of Ballistics Advantage... I am still negotiating but that's what I will end up with. 10.5 with a pinned SLR adjustable gas block with a 9.7" Solo lite rail....

I am going to try and wrap it all up in the morning.

alamo5000
9 December 2015, 17:12

Why a piston kit?

alamo5000
9 December 2015, 17:15
Here are my muzzle options... chime in to which one you like better.... I am leaning towards the first or the last of these three. What do you think?

http://cdn3.volusion.com/zwlmq.eyhrp/v/vspfiles/photos/TMM-2T.jpg?1440073790

http://cdn3.volusion.com/zwlmq.eyhrp/v/vspfiles/photos/TMFC-2T.jpg?1425489559

http://cdn3.volusion.com/zwlmq.eyhrp/v/vspfiles/photos/GATMHC556-2T.jpg?1446204959

JFQuest
10 December 2015, 03:20
I just received a pair of the Tapered Flash Comps from my Black Friday order for both my Carbine and my SBR (as my Recce7 is still in NFA jail).

GOST
10 December 2015, 05:55
Here are my muzzle options... chime in to which one you like better.... I am leaning towards the first or the last of these three. What do you think?

http://cdn3.volusion.com/zwlmq.eyhrp/v/vspfiles/photos/TMM-2T.jpg?1440073790

http://cdn3.volusion.com/zwlmq.eyhrp/v/vspfiles/photos/TMFC-2T.jpg?1425489559

http://cdn3.volusion.com/zwlmq.eyhrp/v/vspfiles/photos/GATMHC556-2T.jpg?1446204959
Coming from one who has owned several different comps, I prefer brakes. In my opinion the comps are not much tamer than a brake, and don't handle nearly as well. The reviews on the last one look promising.

RiverRat
10 December 2015, 08:23

10.3" BA Hanson Performance with pinned 0.75" gas block, QPQ finish with FailZero extension, 1 in 7 twist, 20 oz.........sale for $171.36 on BA's website.
(http://ballisticadvantage.com/10-3-inch-556-hanson-carbine-cmv-performance-barrel.html)
http://ballisticadvantage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/1/0/10.3_hanson_profile.jpg

alamo5000
10 December 2015, 14:57
I ordered a ballistic advantage 10.5 barrel, an SLR adjustable block, and a SLR 9.7" rail.

I should have them by monday or tuesday.

My lower is supposed to arrive tomorrow as well.

alamo5000
10 December 2015, 19:10
Coming from one who has owned several different comps, I prefer brakes. In my opinion the comps are not much tamer than a brake, and don't handle nearly as well. The reviews on the last one look promising.

I am so torn on which one to get.

alamo5000
10 December 2015, 19:41
I went with the Hammer Comp....

Now I might need some help here....

The only couple parts that I have left to get is a mil spec buffer tube kit... the only thing is I want an end plate that has a QD socket with it.

I also need a pistol grip, probably Magpul.

Dstrbdmedic167
10 December 2015, 19:51
you could piece a set together and then get the QD socket you want... as far as a grip I like the umbrella or B5 grips but thats something on personal preference and can be easily swapped of course...

alamo5000
10 December 2015, 19:59
you could piece a set together and then get the QD socket you want... as far as a grip I like the umbrella or B5 grips but thats something on personal preference and can be easily swapped of course...

I am spending money like a drunken sailor so all I need is to locate a good buffer tube kit (milspec but but no chinese made chit) and grip. I will probably go with the MOE until I find something I like better. Also I want to find a QD end plate because that's how my sling that I never use is set up.

Prices are all over the frickin place. 99 cents up to 25 bucks for a damn end plate.

My brain is on overload right now to be honest. I am almost shopped out for tonight.

I guess I will just need a standard buffer but since I don't know crap about SBRs I guess I will find out.

UWone77
10 December 2015, 20:33
I am spending money like a drunken sailor so all I need is to locate a good buffer tube kit (milspec but but no chinese made chit) and grip. I will probably go with the MOE until I find something I like better. Also I want to find a QD end plate because that's how my sling that I never use is set up.

Prices are all over the frickin place. 99 cents up to 25 bucks for a damn end plate.

My brain is on overload right now to be honest. I am almost shopped out for tonight.

I guess I will just need a standard buffer but since I don't know crap about SBRs I guess I will find out.

For an SBR, I like end plates with a QD, like the Fortis.

I know not everyone likes 1 point slings, but for SBR's at the range, I love'em.

alamo5000
10 December 2015, 20:38
For an SBR, I like end plates with a QD, like the Fortis.

I know not everyone likes 1 point slings, but for SBR's at the range, I love'em.

I've never had an SBR but after my usual over analysis of things I found that I like it too [:D]

Not that I have ever owned an SBR... but just in general.

My sling can go from one point to two in no time flat...

Should I get a fortis?

After that all I need is a buffer, a tube, and a spring.

Since I have absolutely zero SBR experience (never even shot one) do I need anything special in that regard? Also how can I tell a shitty Chinese buffer tube from a decent one? I don't want to pay a hundred bucks for one either if I can help it.

alamo5000
10 December 2015, 20:43
Well I just bought a Fortis QD end plate... [:D]

Next up is a non shitty buffer tube, a buffer, and a spring.

And of course an Aimpoint T2.

That last one will have to wait.

EDIT: oh yeah... and a grip.

RiverRat
10 December 2015, 22:44
After that all I need is a buffer, a tube, and a spring.

Since I have absolutely zero SBR experience (never even shot one) do I need anything special in that regard?

If you're that worried about your extension, get one made from 7075 and it should clear your "not shitty" hurdle easily. Costs a few bucks more, but not that much. Damage Industries (short, but useable threads) for $26, BCM via AIMSurplus for $39, Spikes if you want to overpay. Plenty more if you dig around a little. Personally, I've not had a bad mil-spec sized extension yet...even the PSA kit 6069 tubes have been fine on "soft use" carbines.

Springs vary way more that I used to think they would, but I try not to obsess about them regardless of barrel length. I didn't need to do anything in this area to have a reliable 10.5" upper.

You might consider starting with an H or H2 buffer. If you buy an H2 and find it too heavy for your build, you can always swap one weight with a standard carbine and have two (slightly discounted) H buffers :P

DutyUse
11 December 2015, 00:29
If you buy a stock with it I think this is the best deal around for a quality kit.

55$ gets you a 7075 buffer tube, H buffer, spring, and castle nut, and all with rainier quality. This is my go to these days if not using an A5.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-milspec-buffer-tube-kit-coupon-code-sale-6697

GOST
11 December 2015, 01:58
http://www.griffinarmament.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=GAMRE

alamo5000
11 December 2015, 05:41
If you buy a stock with it I think this is the best deal around for a quality kit.

55$ gets you a 7075 buffer tube, H buffer, spring, and castle nut, and all with rainier quality. This is my go to these days if not using an A5.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-milspec-buffer-tube-kit-coupon-code-sale-6697

That's what I am looking for... but they are out of stock.

I will find one. I was just so tired (worn out) from a long day yesterday that I started to go cross eyed looking at my computer screen.

I still have to send off my lower for engraving and all that before I can do anything with it anyway so it's not like I am in a rush. I just don't want something from Hai Xian Fu Limited that will come over on a slow boat from Hong Kong.

I also don't want to over pay.

BoilerUp
11 December 2015, 06:01
That's what I am looking for... but they are out of stock.

I will find one. I was just so tired (worn out) from a long day yesterday that I started to go cross eyed looking at my computer screen.

I still have to send off my lower for engraving and all that before I can do anything with it anyway so it's not like I am in a rush. I just don't want something from Hai Xian Fu Limited that will come over on a slow boat from Hong Kong.

I also don't want to over pay.

Similar kit from BCM: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-STOCK-HARDWARE-KIT

alamo5000
11 December 2015, 06:43
Similar kit from BCM: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-STOCK-HARDWARE-KIT

Done. Bought. Purchased.

Thanks for the link.

I trust BCM. :)

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
11 December 2015, 07:52
I would run the 11.5" barrel. The 10.5's might run fine when the gas ports are the right size- the military guns seem to run well. One of the issues with the validity of saying that of course is that the military only runs a controlled ammo pressure. That makes it way easier to be reliable. A consumer gun will see various types of ammunition, and I don't really believe the 10.3 is good for that type of use. It sounds like you also have a sound suppressor in the mix and that means various types of ammo pressure + extra pressure from a can. I have a Daniel Defense 10.3 and we run various types of ammo and cans and it runs for total garbage. The 10.3" barrel doesn't have remotely ideal dwell time for DI operation. Reliability problems can be traced to that. The DD barrel is probably oversized at the gas port compounding reliability issues- the gun was malfing about 1 in 10 rounds prior to a GA SOB buffer and at that point reliability increased to about 99%, but one malf in a hundred is still pretty horrible IMO.

On the muzzle devices, the taper mount hammer comp is probably the way to go for the short gun. The minimalist will have excessive muzzle flash on the short guns.

tact
12 December 2015, 12:24
As soon as you mentioned DD barrel I knew where the post was going. DD is known for jacked up/oversized gas ports. My 10.5 WOA runs great with a variety of ammo suppressed and unsuppressed.

alamo5000
13 December 2015, 17:45
It looks like I am all in now [BD] Well almost.

I got my lower from the FFL and I was going to send it off for engraving. Actually Jeff Cross said he would engrave it for free for me!!! What a super nice guy. I've never met him in person but I would like to [:D]

That said by the time I UPS'ed it to them for engraving and so forth it was still pretty cheap... but I found a guy that is really close to me that engraved it for me while I waited. I called him to inquire and he basically said 'come on over and I will fix you up'...

I threw on a jacket, drove over this evening (Sunday)... left my house at 6pm and got back home with a beautifully engraved lower by 7pm. He did it for under $50 flat and there was no wait or shipping.

Now I just gotta figure out that whole efile form 1 thing.

From what I can remember the only parts I lack now are iron sites and a red dot+mount. Everything else is ordered and en route already.

alamo5000
13 December 2015, 19:25
I submitted my efile form 1 with some help from Distrbmedic167 and a youtube video from silencer shop.

Oh I hope I didn't mess that up.

Dstrbdmedic167
13 December 2015, 19:28
You should be good. Now the wait begins.. Again...

alamo5000
13 December 2015, 19:38
You should be good. Now the wait begins.. Again...

I have two stamps in process at the same time! LOL!

Double jail.

Dstrbdmedic167
13 December 2015, 19:39
I have two stamps in process at the same time! LOL!

Double jail.

Lord help us all...

alamo5000
13 December 2015, 19:40
Lord help us all...

I blame all of you.

You are horrible influences. [BD]

Right now I have a Revolution 9 waiting in jail (although they haven't cashed the check yet) and now this SBR.

DutyUse
13 December 2015, 19:41
Lord help us all...

:D

alamo5000
13 December 2015, 19:46
I will make it a point to complain about the government at least once a week for the next 5 months.

alamo5000
13 December 2015, 19:47
I just hope I didn't screw up the efile thing. First time and all.

Joelski
13 December 2015, 20:50
My guy pointed out a mistake I'd made and he corrected it, with my permission, prior to submitting. Yeah, I was shocked.

alamo5000
14 December 2015, 16:47
I got a bunch of stuff in the mail but I have a question.

Is it normal for a buffer to rattle? I mean the actual buffer.

Normal or not normal?

Farva
14 December 2015, 17:05
I got a bunch of stuff in the mail but I have a question.

Is it normal for a buffer to rattle? I mean the actual buffer.

Normal or not normal?

Depends on the type of buffer but if I'm not mistaken all your hearing is the weight inside moving around.

alamo5000
14 December 2015, 17:14
Depends on the type of buffer but if I'm not mistaken all your hearing is the weight inside moving around.

Yes its the weight inside moving around. That's it. It's the BCM kit mentioned earlier in the thread.

I got a standard buffer because I don't know what difference buffers make...as in a heavier one does what vs a lighter one and so forth. Maybe after I am all built up I can buy a few and experiment some but I am getting ahead of myself.

Farva
14 December 2015, 17:16
Yes its the weight inside moving around. That's it. It's the BCM kit mentioned earlier in the thread.

Got that very same kit on my SBR and love it.

alamo5000
14 December 2015, 17:19
Got that very same kit on my SBR and love it.

Well hopefully pretty soon I will get to test this bad boy out in pistol configuration because I ain't into going to jail.

In another few days I should have everything except irons and a T2 (and mount). I have not ordered either yet.

My funds are nearly tapped out.

Farva
14 December 2015, 17:21
My funds are nearly tapped out.

the curse of buying quality stuff [BD]

alamo5000
14 December 2015, 17:40
the curse of buying quality stuff [BD]

True but I prefer to go with good stuff. There is a point of over paying but I would rather have something nicer that I will enjoy shooting.

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
17 December 2015, 14:30
As soon as you mentioned DD barrel I knew where the post was going. DD is known for jacked up/oversized gas ports. My 10.5 WOA runs great with a variety of ammo suppressed and unsuppressed.

I felt the experience I had was partially because of a larger port, and it also made obvious the shortcomings of the poor dwell time in the system- it is very sensitive to port size because it has very little dwell time.

alamo5000
17 December 2015, 17:34
shifting gears here a little bit.

I am putting together my lower and I have a few observations.

First off the bolt catch/release pin... CMT beefed that up alot than what they had with the previous models (which apparently I now have one of each). It's a welcome change albeit for my purposes a minor one.

I bought a battle arms mag release button and I like it a lot better than the seekins one. I know it's a small thing, but small things matter.

I also bought a bunch of strike industries stuff... springs, detents, mag release, take down pins, plungers, all that stuff, that little piece that holds your buffer in place (and spring)... man, I am telling you... for small parts I personally can tell a difference. The stuff they sent me was all extremely quality. If you are looking for mix and match parts for a lower build... after today... I wouldn't even think of looking past Strike Industries. To me there is a noticeable difference.

I just thought I would pass that along.

cjd3
17 December 2015, 19:04
Good info on Strike. I was swapping lower parts this week, and zing, lost a pivot spring and detent. Found the detent right away, found the spring yesterday. The Brownells tool is great, just remember to rotate down before removing it.

Mecha_Arms
18 December 2015, 09:53
I've been wanting to get my hands on some of the Strike Industries stuff. I'll have to move that up the priority list.

alamo5000
18 December 2015, 10:26
I've been wanting to get my hands on some of the Strike Industries stuff. I'll have to move that up the priority list.

Everything I touched was great. Even the finish on the mag catch was great.

For being small parts I was completely impressed.

Mecha_Arms
18 December 2015, 14:07
Everything I touched was great. Even the finish on the mag catch was great.

For being small parts I was completely impressed.

I had been looking at some of it online, and saw a few parts on a build at Rainier Arms. Not sure I'm high on their safety, but some of the other stuff seemed nice.