PDA

View Full Version : Starting down this path now...

Joelski
10 December 2015, 18:56
Red dot started as a Vortex Strikefire and jumped to an Aimpoint micro, now this:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Glocks/RA-Recce/20151210_213502.jpg~original

My first more or less "decent" magnified optic I've ever owned. I've had other scopes, but just wreavers and nothing in this price range, which granted is obviously beginner grade and a long way to get to SPR class that I;m aspiring to. Just got it today, mounted and leveled it, so I don't have input on the quality of the optic. I'm rolling the dice on so many opinions that the Vortez glass and warranty make it a decent scope to get into the world of long range shooting. I'm scared to think what will end-up on this rail soon... Pray for me, brothers!! :)

UWone77
10 December 2015, 20:35
Do yourself a favor, get a real mount for that optic.

Dstrbdmedic167
10 December 2015, 20:43
Do yourself a favor, get a real mount for that optic.

Totally expected this...

Nice Joelski! You'll enjoy it and will want more soon!

UWone77
10 December 2015, 20:46
Totally expected this...

Nice Joelski! You'll enjoy it and will want more soon!

It's the OG Pepper Boy himself. He will tell you all about the life of a post-PEPR Mount and the 10 step program he entered to break this nasty habit!

Dstrbdmedic167
10 December 2015, 20:49
It's the OG Pepper Boy himself. He will tell you all about the life of a post-PEPR Mount and the 10 step program he entered to break this nasty habit!

I literally LOL'd... I'm totally gonna get my B.I.L to make you a shirt for christmas hahaha...

ohh and Life is good [BD]

UWone77
10 December 2015, 20:51
I literally LOL'd... I'm totally gonna get my B.I.L to make you a shirt for christmas hahaha...

ohh and Life is good [BD]

I do need a shirt.

Joelski
11 December 2015, 02:52
What is this PEPR thing of which you speak?

That was better than telling me to get a real scope! :)

Shhhhh!

voodoo_man
11 December 2015, 03:17
Bobro...

Make it happen

GOST
11 December 2015, 04:42
Aero also has some very good and lite weight mounts for the price.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts.html

Joelski
11 December 2015, 05:03
Bobro...

Make it happen

Aye-Aye, sir!

alamo5000
11 December 2015, 05:51
Aero also has some very good and lite weight mounts for the price.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts.html

I highly recommend an Aero Mount. Just use blue loctite on all the screws.

I also even more highlier (is that even a word?) recommend getting the leveler kit from Slippers if you buy an Aero mount. Those two things are meant for each other and will make your life a lot easier.

BoilerUp
11 December 2015, 06:08
Great looking build but I had the same initial reaction as UW on the scope mount. Not that I've used, tested or even touched everything on the market, but my AR-15 scope mount decision tree works like this:

IF budget is limited OR weight is a major concern, THEN buy AeroPrecision extended (1") or SPR (30mm) mount
ELSE buy Bobro extended

That said, I just ordered a Bobro mount but would have seriously considered a Midwest Industries mount if I could have found one on sale that would have made it at least $50 cheaper than the Bobro. However, I found a Bobro on sale (Black Friday) for only about $15 more than the MI mount.

Use coupon code "SLICK20" at Granite Ridge outfitters right now for 20% off the Aero Precision mounts: http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Ultralight-Mount-Sale_c51.htm

Slippers
11 December 2015, 08:03
My only hesitation with the aero mounts is that the design causes the scope to rotate as it is tightened. Makes install a little annoying.

At the same time, I think it's a little silly to see $200 scopes in $250 mounts. Much better to see a $400-500 scope in an aero mount. At least then you're putting money in the glass, where it matters.

Joelski
11 December 2015, 08:21
Good thought. Going to return this mount and get the Aero. I want to be comfortable with this scope before I spend more on glass, most likely to go with the 20" .308 I want to build.

Bronco75
11 December 2015, 09:32
Another +1 for Bobro. I sold all my LaRue mounts and replaced them with Bobro mounts. It doesn't matter how much you spend on glass if your mount sucks.

You spent some good money on that rifle build it looks like...it's screaming for a Bobro!

din
11 December 2015, 17:28
Unless you want QD, get a Nightforce Unimount. Since you're not using the Aimpoint any more, I'm accepting donations.

Joelski
11 December 2015, 18:07
Another +1 for Bobro. I sold all my LaRue mounts and replaced them with Bobro mounts. It doesn't matter how much you spend on glass if your mount sucks.

You spent some good money on that rifle build it looks like...it's screaming for a Bobro!

I realize I put pleather shoes on a Calvin Klein rifle, it's almost embarassing to show, but if you golf, you know you don't hit blades until you master cavity back clubs. I've been an iron sights and red dot shooter forever, butI'm not going to delude myself about my skill level with longer shots and just want to dip my toe before I spend insane money on a variable power dealio. But rest assured, I will spend insanely (for me), when the time comes!

Since you're not using the Aimpoint any more, I'm accepting donations.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Glocks/ESEE-15/20151211_205527-1.jpg~original :)

Bronco75
12 December 2015, 09:01
I realize I put pleather shoes on a Calvin Klein rifle, it's almost embarassing to show, but if you golf, you know you don't hit blades until you master cavity back clubs. I've been an iron sights and red dot shooter forever, butI'm not going to delude myself about my skill level with longer shots and just want to dip my toe before I spend insane money on a variable power dealio. But rest assured, I will spend insanely (for me), when the time comes!

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Glocks/ESEE-15/20151211_205527-1.jpg~original :)

I can throw the golf clubs farther than I can hit the ball LOL

Joelski
12 December 2015, 09:12
I can throw the golf clubs farther than I can hit the ball LOL

You aren't hitting blade clubs just because your favorite pro does, are you? ;) Of course, some days, there's something just satisfying about wingin' a club into the lake.