PDA

View Full Version : Good shop in Fort Worth?

BoilerUp
12 December 2015, 06:44
A friend is planning to build his first AR. I'd like to be able to steer him to a good shop to pick up the stripped lower. He lives north of Ft. Worth, Texas. Any recommendations? Anyone know of any good shops in that area that carry Aero Precision stripper lowers? I know DSG is in Ft. Worth but they don't seem to have any good mid-range lowers in stock.

alamo5000
12 December 2015, 07:04
Aragorn is from up there. Ask him.

I think jonpac07 is too.

If you go to any gun show up there you can get em cheap.

alamo5000
12 December 2015, 07:13
Does it have to be Aero?

I think a LOT of stuff is sold out now. Black Friday plus that damn terrorist thing...

If it's his first AR do you think ordering one online and showing him how to go through an FFL would be helpful?

For me the latter opened Pandora's box [BD]

BoilerUp
12 December 2015, 07:26
Doesn't have to be Aero, but something in that range. Is anyone machining forged lowers in Texas? I typically pick up the lower from a local shop that I like and trust since the transfer fees generally wipe out the savings from ordering elsewhere anyway. It's also good to know your local sources for small parts in case you need a last minute replacement part for whatever reason.

alamo5000
12 December 2015, 08:03
Doesn't have to be Aero, but something in that range. Is anyone machining forged lowers in Texas? I typically pick up the lower from a local shop that I like and trust since the transfer fees generally wipe out the savings from ordering elsewhere anyway. It's also good to know your local sources for small parts in case you need a last minute replacement part for whatever reason.

There is no shortage of places up there. Believe me.

If he was around my area (a few hours south) I could hook him up. Houston has something like 1700 dedicated gun shops just in the city limits. For me it was NO problem finding a shop to sell me whatever I wanted...the best thing I ever did was get to know an FFL. Every time I go over there he smiles real big and says 'son of a bitch! you again!'.... LOL!!! He's a funny guy.

Speaking of that, I have a lower I need to go pick up. :)

In Texas we have no income tax forms but we do have 8.25% sales tax and most FFL fees are around $20-25 bucks so it really just depends on what you are ordering and how much it costs

So if he knows he wants to do an aero build just pay 1 shipping cost and 25 bucks and he will save money.

Aragorn
12 December 2015, 14:13
I'm from as far north as you can get in the DFW area and still say you're from it. Unfortunately where I live is kinda a hipster college town and the only shops I know of are super small and non AR-centric. However, DSG is in Fort Worth and I remember seeing lowers and LPK's in their showroom.

...I'm just to used to buying all my AR goodness from the interwebs. Rainier hasn't complained yet.

UWone77
12 December 2015, 14:18
I'm from as far north as you can get in the DFW area and still say you're from it. Unfortunately where I live is kinda a hipster college town and the only shops I know of are super small and non AR-centric. However, DSG is in Fort Worth and I remember seeing lowers and LPK's in their showroom.

...I'm just to used to buying all my AR goodness from the interwebs. Rainier hasn't complained yet.

I don't know Texas, but I have been purchasing various items from DSG Arms for years. Top notch outfit with products to fit every budget.