PDA

View Full Version : What's more of a pain in the ass?

adrenaline151
27 February 2009, 21:20
Would you say getting an FFL or getting Class 3? Is there any state that is easier or harder to get either in(besides CA, man who the hell would want to live there?)?
Is Class 3 worth bothering with just to have one rifle with one suppressor to shoot paper in the back yard and maybe take some classes with? Or is it well worth it just to help out already damaged ears(that is what I would tell the wife of course!).
Sorry if anyone lives in CA, I apologize for my comment and my Senators, both of whom have become so open minded that their brains have fallen out[crazy]. Yes, I am from Maine.

Army Chief
28 February 2009, 02:12
Is Class 3 worth bothering with just to have one rifle with one suppressor to shoot paper in the back yard and maybe take some classes with?

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what it is that you are really asking here. If you're wondering whether or not it is practical to apply for a 03 FFL (Class III/NFA Federal Firearms License) in order to own a suppressed SBR, the answer is no. In fact, that it is probably not even possible, given your stated purposes.

Obtaining a license to deal in Title 2/Class III firearms is not nearly as straightforward a process as applying for a regular Title 1 FFL. To begin with, you have to already possess an FFL and be actively engaged in the firearms business. You must then demonstrate that you intend to actually deal in NFA arms. I'll gloss over the infamous recordkeeping requirements. Fees start at $500 annually, and go up from there, depending upon which aspects of the business (i.e. manufacturing) you intend to engage in. The overriding point, though, is that it isn't possible to get a 03 FFL for what amounts to "hobbyist" purposes, and even if it were, it would not be worth the added expense.

If, on the other hand, you're simply asking about the relative merits of going through the process of registering/purchasing and owning an SBR and a suppressor, well, that sort of depends. Only you know whether or not the ends justify the means, but I will say this: unless you're willing to really learn the laws that apply to NFA weapons, you're likely wading in over your head if your purposes are purely recreational. I'm not questioning the wisdom of using a suppressed weapon as a plinker so much as I am trying to make it clear that these weapons come with restrictions -- even after they are transferred -- and small infractions can carry big penalties when a Title 2 firearm or device is involved. Some caution is warranted.

Assuming you're past all of that, and just interested in owning a short carbine with a can, then there isn't any reason why you can't make that happen as a Maineiac. :) Just find a Class III dealer who can help get you up to speed on the requirements, be prepared to part with $200 (x 2) in NFA taxes, purchase/transfer what you desire, and make sure you know the ground rules about where/when/how you can or cannot use your new weapon.

AC

adrenaline151
28 February 2009, 05:37
I just want to have a suppressor for a 16" barreled rifle.

Army Chief
28 February 2009, 07:59
Too easy, bro. Find a Class III dealer* that is close to you there in the North Country and you're well on your way.

AC

* One possibility: Pine Tree Trading in Lewiston at (207) 786-2213 -- per the AAC web site.

adrenaline151
28 February 2009, 08:11
do I have to get some kind of license to own one?

SHIHAN
28 February 2009, 10:10
do I have to get some kind of license to own one?

You need to go through the tax stamp process.

Army Chief
28 February 2009, 11:12
Not a license -- just a purchase process whereby you pay the $200 tax, get fingerprinted, secure a signature from your Police Chief, and submit the requisite forms to the BATF for approval.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't get a license to own SBRs in the process; you get authorization to own (or manufacture) a specific SBR in specific configuration and identified by a specific serial number.

AC

TehLlama
2 March 2009, 09:56
BATFE considers a suppressor a firearm - that's really most of it. It requires its own tax stamp and a background check (fingerprinting, LEO signoff*), but A_C has it exactly right.

The trust route is another option, but that's for another thread.

Getting an FFL is really only practical if you intend to make money with for most, C&R is as far as most collectors get.

Nazgul
20 March 2009, 21:51
Recently purchased a short barreled shotgun, class III. Took 3 months to process, very little hassle. Find a Class III dealer and they will talk you through it. Piece of cake. Just be patient.

The SERBU Super Shorty is tons of fun.

Don