PDA

View Full Version : FSB option

cjd3
16 December 2015, 13:48
So next year, I'd like to free float my Stag carbine, and I'm looking at economical options. The current rifle has the Stag factory barrel; 4150 1/7" HP MP. It seems like a rather good barrel, and I really see no reason to replace it.

I'm pretty happy with ALG offerings, and will probably put on a V2. Now comes the question of the gas block. I will be running this rifle suppressed once the Omega breaks out of jail (still pending 9/14 since yesterday), and I like the SLR.

Since I'll be removing the FSB, should I go with the clamp on, as I doubt the barrel's been dimpled. Or would one of the set screw locations line up with the pin channel?

Secondly, how should I treat the bare metal once the post has been removed?

Or am I way over thinking this and just cut off the post (yeah, I'm not going to do that)

Hmac
16 December 2015, 15:31
I would simply have your FSB cut down. You can do it yourself with a Dremel and some black paint (lots of YouTube on the process - even a Brownells video), but it's common and cheap to send it off to have a gunsmith do it.

UWone77
16 December 2015, 16:43
Hmac gives good advise, I'd just shave down the FSB. Lots of great DIY video's online on how to do it yourself. Nothing is more secure than a double pinned FSB as your gas block.

If you decide to just go with a lopro, you could always get an extended lopro gas block to hide the bare metal. I've used one of these in the past:

https://www.rainierarms.com/gas-block-rainier-arms-low-profile-extended

voodoo_man
16 December 2015, 17:44
...keep your stag the way it is

Buy another upper or piece one together. Plenty of forum sponsor companies have a lot to offer...don't mess with a gun that works

cjd3
16 December 2015, 20:51
...keep your stag the way it is

Buy another upper or piece one together. Plenty of forum sponsor companies have a lot to offer...don't mess with a gun that works
Yeah, this was my initial thought too. Might as well save up for the set up.

voodoo_man
17 December 2015, 05:50
Yeah, this was my initial thought too. Might as well save up for the set up.

Two is one....

Hmac
17 December 2015, 07:20
Two is one....

Yes, I agree...two complete rifles is better than one.

Personally, I've never been comfortable with the "all-purpose rifle system". When I grab the rifle out of the safe for whatever reason, I prefer not to have to think about or address which upper to put on it. Multiple uppers for one lower might be cost efficient. Just not my preference. I'd rather have two or three rifles than one "rifle system".

DutyUse
17 December 2015, 08:43
It doesn't make sense either for how cheap you can build a quality lower