PDA

View Full Version : 9mm pistol list

alamo5000
18 December 2015, 18:07
I have a Sig 226 that I just bought a silencerco threaded barrel for (because its 1/2x28 threads). This is going to be my main go to host for my Revolution 9 suppressor that is in jail right now.

I want to make a list of other 9mm pistols that are or could potentially be a suppressor host. Basically I want to eventually get more pistols that fit the bill. I see so many pictures around....but I want to make a list of some of the top bad ass 9mm pistols that I could potentially add to my collection.

Eventually I will add 3 or 4 of those to my collection.

The only caveat is the gun needs a threaded barrel and be semi auto... and really I am hoping for one that I don't need to send to a gunsmith to get threaded or whatever. I don't want any kind of specialized gunsmithing stuff...

From this list I will pick a few and start to narrow down my choices.

Dstrbdmedic167
18 December 2015, 18:21
Glock 17/19 or VP9. You've already got a sig. That's all you'd need in a true pistol category...

din
18 December 2015, 18:59
9mm Springfield Range Officer. You would need to have a new barrel fit, but it'd be so worth it.

SINNER
18 December 2015, 19:24
CZ 75's and FN FNX's both run well suppressed.

SwissyJim
18 December 2015, 19:55
Love my Glock34 suppressed (Lone Wolf Barrel)... not a single hiccup running my own sub loads, altho I have 'tweaked' it a bit

DutyUse
18 December 2015, 20:38
Any of the Glocks but I'd probably go for the 19 or 34 depending what I wanted

alamo5000
18 December 2015, 21:05
CZ 75's

I have a CZ 75B but no threaded barrel. Where can I get one? You know?

I still will get some more pistols :)

alamo5000
18 December 2015, 21:10
9mm Springfield Range Officer. You would need to have a new barrel fit, but it'd be so worth it.

Interesting :) I will have to look into that.

Glock 17/19 or VP9. You've already got a sig. That's all you'd need in a true pistol category...

That VP9 looks mightly interesting :) So far I like this list.

Any of the Glocks but I'd probably go for the 19 or 34 depending what I wanted

Honestly I have never really used a Glock. I have to look more into that and see some different offerings. I am always open to new things ;)

DutyUse
18 December 2015, 21:13
I have never really used a Glock

heretic!!!!

alamo5000
18 December 2015, 21:29
heretic!!!!

I know, I know...I just tend to stick with superior firearms...like Sigs :)

That said I did buy a Glock 42 the other day... it seemed pretty nice for it's purpose.

My first Glock ever...

alamo5000
18 December 2015, 21:32
I am still researching the CZ 75B threaded barrel... seems like a pain in the ass... I hope I can find one that won't cost an arm and a leg.

RiverRat
18 December 2015, 22:45
For your CZ, a factory-produced threaded barrel (http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/042004940102_Threaded-Barrel-9mm-75-12x28) might be an option.

For new pistols:
Nighthawk Customs Enforcer 1911 (http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/enforcer-1140.html) in 9mm w/ threaded barrel It'll set you back about $4K, but you did say "badass" and this passes that hurdle.

At a more modest price, Springfield is making the 4.5" XD(m) with a factory threaded barrel (http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-4-5-full-size-9mm-threaded-barrel/) now. Put a #1 backstrap on the 4.5" and it points more like a 1911 than most polymer guns. Decent triggers and very reliable. I liked this design enough to buy a 3.8" after I already had a 4.5" - and it might be even better than the 4.5"

alamo5000
18 December 2015, 23:24
For your CZ, a factory-produced threaded barrel (http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/042004940102_Threaded-Barrel-9mm-75-12x28) might be an option.

For new pistols:
Nighthawk Customs Enforcer 1911 (http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/enforcer-1140.html) in 9mm w/ threaded barrel It'll set you back about $4K, but you did say "badass" and this passes that hurdle.

At a more modest price, Springfield is making the 4.5" XD(m) with a factory threaded barrel (http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-4-5-full-size-9mm-threaded-barrel/) now. Put a #1 backstrap on the 4.5" and it points more like a 1911 than most polymer guns. Decent triggers and very reliable. I liked this design enough to buy a 3.8" after I already had a 4.5" - and it might be even better than the 4.5"

I saw that top one after I started digging in a lot more, but it's not in stock. I will probably eventually pick one of those up. I got put on the wait list.

As for the other... I am probably not going to drop 4 grand on a single pistol... at least not yet ;)

DeviantLogic
18 December 2015, 23:32
Love the M&P's. Smith and Wesson makes factory threaded barrels and Wilson Combat also makes threaded barrels for them.

alamo5000
18 December 2015, 23:44
heretic!!!!

I will say something about glocks... for me given that I haven't handled every single model out there... but the grips on them leave a little to be desired (for me). I don't have big giant mitts so the ones I have picked up I pretty much sat right back down in about 5 seconds. I might not be very knowledgeable about Glocks... that's for sure... so if there is something I don't know or should know please fill me in. Basically the grips on almost every Glock I have handled has felt extremely awkward feeling.

They might be fine in every other aspect but that has been the major turn off for me.

DutyUse
19 December 2015, 00:06
I've got little girl hands so I feel your pain. I had to force myself to learn to shoot Glocks well because the double stacks also didn't fit well.

The Gen 4's with no backstrap are thinner and feel some better, while a Glock 19 with a grip reduction is about perfect IMHO. They are expensive though and you have to be a motivated glock lover..

MP9's with the small backstrap fit me just about the best for a factory gun/grip and I've tried a ton.

schambers
19 December 2015, 06:52
I think the VP9 may require more research as a suppressor host. I seem to remember seeing reports of problems when running suppressed... Can't remember if it was with subsonic ammunition or regular ball...

Uffdaphil
19 December 2015, 08:20
I also wanted two nines for my Rev9. First I got a Factory G19 threaded with high sights and needed a reverse thread piston from Griffin. Was surprised the sight does not extend above the top of the can. Top of dot is just below top plane of the can. Works fine though. Gen3 grip is a bit fat for my stubbies, but not bad with an extended mag release. My other G19 is for carry and the quiet one w/light for HD.

Next I got a metric threaded Sig barrel for my P226 (MK25)) with standard sights. It shoots just as well or better then the G19 just using the can plane to sight. Obviously not the best idea for night time. Hogue G10 grips seem to fit my hand better than the stock Sigs. Piranhas are great, but show wear quickly. Now prefer traditional checkered.

Comparing grip comfort at the LGS the VP9 was by far the best for my small mitts. I sold both my M&Ps as the backstrap bulge was uncomfortable for me and I shot worse than any other handgun. A CZ75 compact PCR feels fantastic and very accurate. Traded for a sweet 1911. Also had a Beretta 92FS which was sweet but too big a grip. But I'm trying to stick to 3 types of mags hence only Sig, Glock and 1911s these days.

I think it important to have uniform threading for HD guns. When the adrenaline is pumping, turning a loose can the wrong way could be fatal. For us small handed, ideal comfort will drastically limit choice. Tolerable with a little practice is my standard. My unmodified Glocks don't feel awkward at all anymore.

Edit: Another possible to consider. Had a Sig P229 Enhanced Elite with the reduced grip and beaver tail. Comfy and a great shooter. Just decided I wanted one long barrel nine.

alamo5000
19 December 2015, 08:58
I also wanted two nines for my Rev9. First I got a Factory G19 threaded with high sights and needed a reverse thread piston from Griffin. Was surprised the sight does not extend above the top of the can. Top of dot is just below top plane of the can. Works fine though. Gen3 grip is a bit fat for my stubbies, but not bad with an extended mag release. My other G19 is for carry and the quiet one w/light for HD.

Next I got a metric threaded Sig barrel for my P226 (MK25)) with standard sights. It shoots just as well or better then the G19 just using the can plane to sight. Obviously not the best idea for night time. Hogue G10 grips seem to fit my hand better than the stock Sigs. Piranhas are great, but show wear quickly. Now prefer traditional checkered.

Comparing grip comfort at the LGS the VP9 was by far the best for my small mitts. I sold both my M&Ps as the backstrap bulge was uncomfortable for me and I shot worse than any other handgun. A CZ75 compact PCR feels fantastic and very accurate. Traded for a sweet 1911. Also had a Beretta 92FS which was sweet but too big a grip. But I'm trying to stick to 3 types of mags hence only Sig, Glock and 1911s these days.

I think it important to have uniform threading for HD guns. When the adrenaline is pumping, turning a loose can the wrong way could be fatal. For us small handed, ideal comfort will drastically limit choice. Tolerable with a little practice is my standard. My unmodified Glocks don't feel awkward at all anymore.

Edit: Another possible to consider. Had a Sig P229 Enhanced Elite with the reduced grip and beaver tail. Comfy and a great shooter. Just decided I wanted one long barrel nine.

For my Sig 226 I bought a silencerco barrel because I want everything to be 1/2 x 28. I don't want a special piston for just one gun. I took a few unsupressed shots with it and it was so far actually quite good.

On one hand I don't like Glocks but on the other I am interested in them. I am not sure about which model it was but my FFL has I think a 17... whichever one he has actually wasn't bad at all in my hand.

I will try to stop in a gun shop or a gun show and fondle the merchandise some more, but I kind of want to narrow down the list some. In concept a Glock would be great....if I could get one that is comfortable in my hand.

Honestly I have also kind of taken an interest in some Springfield models as well...

So if I can get a threaded barrel for the CZ75B, I have my 226 ready to roll, and then maybe throw in a Glock or something else...then hey, that's a good start. My main objective is to have a gun or guns that are enjoyable to shoot.

Another project I have in mind is threaded .22... Griffin is about to release a .22 end cap for the Rev 9... I will use it on a .22 as well.

I like this rifle here:

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/models.html

I have handled one and I love the stock on it. The only problem is no threaded barrel. I also don't like those little harris stubs. If I got one I would want to put a small piece of rail up there so I can use my Atlas.

Another good option is this one:

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

It comes with a threaded barrel but I am not sure about the whole take down thing. It seems ok I guess.

I'm still open to other things and truth be told the .22 is on the back burner for now...

I have too many wants right now. I have a Sig 938 that is my EDC gun... I had a Kahr that was chambered in .40 but I want to go all around 9mm for most of my guns... so I need a backup carry gun... I am thinking an XDS or a Glock 43...

I'm pretty much covered for the time being but I have to keep a wish list going :)

alamo5000
19 December 2015, 09:04
I figure for about $3000 spread over time I could make a pretty good dent in my want list.

Uffdaphil
19 December 2015, 09:42
For me the Glock is my work truck and the 1911s a Ferrari with the Sig in between. The 1911 may be surpassed in capacity, but never will there be a sexier body with a booty so fine to grab hold of. It"s the only handgun I love to shoot as much as a rifle.*

alamo5000
19 December 2015, 09:58
For me the Glock is my work truck and the 1911s a Ferrari with the Sig in between. The 1911 may be surpassed in capacity, but never will there be a sexier body with a booty so fine to grab hold of. It"s the only handgun I love to shoot as much as a rifle.*

I have a sig 1911 and I really love that thing! I know all about that booty grab [BD]

Part of the reason why I sold my Kahr is because I didn't like the style of the trigger. I like clean crisp triggers with a defined break. That Kahr trigger took some getting used to. It wasn't bad, it just seemed mushy to me.

Txfilmmaker
19 December 2015, 11:03

Big agree! Might add Walther PPQ, but I think the VP9 edges the Walther by a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P39
19 December 2015, 11:26

I tend to agree. For years I could never get myself to buy a Glock. Today I picked up a Gen 3 G19. I'm pretty excited about it. My EDC is my 1911 and the back up is a Sig P238 (also primary summer EDC). I also have a Ruger SR9C that I'm considering selling. It's a decent shooter, but never gets carried and I think will be surpassed by the G19. All that said, my Ultra Carry is my go to. Love that thing.

mustangfreek
19 December 2015, 12:10
M&P 's are probably the best fitting, and fitting in my hand out of all the polymer style pistols.. Don't have one anymore.. but with the apex trigger and a little polishing it had s very nice trigger.. along with the ergonomics Judy made it a comfy grip/shooter

And there all over for good deals like $379 .. damnit wish I wasn't bbbbroke

http://www.cdnnsports.com/s-w-m-p9-9mm.html#.VnW5Xuw77CR

Txfilmmaker
19 December 2015, 12:27
M&P 's are probably the best fitting, and fitting in my hand out of all the polymer style pistols.. Don't have one anymore.. but with the apex trigger and a little polishing it had s very nice trigger.. along with the ergonomics Judy made it a comfy grip/shooter

And there all over for good deals like $379 .. damnit wish I wasn't bbbbroke

http://www.cdnnsports.com/s-w-m-p9-9mm.html#.VnW5Xuw77CR

I carry a M&P compact 9mm with the Apex Duty/Carry kit. I like it a lot. I use to have a Glock 19 that I liked quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SINNER
19 December 2015, 15:47
One of my CZ's has a factory threaded barrel and another has their 6" barrel cut down and threaded. A shop near me has the factory threaded barrels in stock for $150 if you have no luck finding one.

DutyUse
19 December 2015, 16:31
CZ's are super nice. A SP-01 Shadow Target is on my short list.