PDA

View Full Version : Information requested on some older guns

Former11B
19 December 2015, 08:34
Ruger M77 .243...Mannlicher/International? with Leupold 2-7x

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsoval1nhz.jpg

Browning Hi Power (Belgian made) and an early Colt M1911 (all I know is that it's been reblued)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspx4kvkti.jpg

RiverRat
19 December 2015, 10:06
It's unclear what exactly information you're looking for..........can you be more specific in what you would like to know?

The Ruger M77 family is a nice Mauser 98-based hunting rifle. Specific to the International: the light barrel, typical Ruger sear geometry and potential for binding at the end cap make it less optimal for heavy range/precision use. Check the barrel to ensure it's floated - long stocks that aren't well stablized can also expand/warp and bind. I THINK the Internationals run short barrels - if that's the case I would suggest staying at or below 80 gr bullet weights. If the trigger bugs you, look at the Timney aftermarket adjustable drop-in (though the factory trigger can be reprofiled if you're into extensive modding). And for what it's worth, the Mannlicher variant is drop dead sexy (IMO).

alamo5000
19 December 2015, 10:25
I have a friend on another forum who wrote a book (including photos) of '101 classic firearms'...

I sent him a link to your pistol pictures to see if he can help answer some questions.

Former11B
19 December 2015, 10:57
I know I can look up information about the browning based on serial number, but is there a similar place for the colt? And I don't know anything about the ruger so if there's a place I can research its serial number also that would be cool. I know it is an M 77 but I don't know the specific model

RiverRat
19 December 2015, 12:14
Basic Ruger Mod 77 ID:

Just says "Model 77" or "M77" on receiver = gen 1 (until 2001). Adjustable (overtravel) trigger, modified ejector. Trigger may need a new set screw from Ruger.
Says "M77 Mk II" = gen 2. (2001-2006) Lost the adjustable trigger, reverted to Mauser ejector, modified open bolt.
Says "M77 Hawkeye" or "Hawkeye" = gen 3 (2006 to date). Greatly improved trigger, matte/satin finish.

Ruger S/N lookup and manuals here (http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.htm)

I believe that the designation for the Mannlicher stocked version was "RSI" - at least in the days of the M77 Mk II. You'll see lots of references to both "International" and "RSI International" - including on graphics culled from Ruger. Ruger seems to be pretty free with designation changes. All refer (to the best of my knowledge) to the same rifle variant (sporter/short barrel with Mannlicher). I know at least some of the RSI models came out with tang safeties (a plus in my book, hope your has one).

Former11B
19 December 2015, 13:36
Thanks for the link. It is a 1984 model and fortunately it does have a safety on it.

The 1911 was made in 1918 based on the serial number.

The Hi-Power was made in 1958 according to Brownings records. I was told it was straight from Belgium; nothing about assembly in Portugal or anything. It's in fantastic shape

velocity2006
19 December 2015, 14:58
If the 1911 has been reblued its value is diminished greatly. You should be able to call colt and request information on it, I believe they will send you the records for a fee.

Former11B
19 December 2015, 16:23
If the 1911 has been reblued its value is diminished greatly. You should be able to call colt and request information on it, I believe they will send you the records for a fee.

Resale value, while it would be nice to retain, isn't my overall concern because it's going to stay in the family. Other than the bluing being redone, it's in fantastic shape for something 100 years old. I like the thumb safety; the edges are rounded and it feels really good drawing and taking the safety off at the same time

RiverRat
19 December 2015, 16:26
Contact Ruger for a replacement overtravel screw on your M77 (http://www.ruger.com/pdf/m77.pdf) (unless you replace the entire trigger package). Unlikely to cause a problem, but they issued that early model notice for a reason.

Former11B
20 December 2015, 07:23
Thanks a bunch for the link!

Slippers
20 December 2015, 08:56
That HP looks great. Usually accurate and have great triggers. I'd use one over a 1911 any day. :)

alamo5000
20 December 2015, 11:41
Here is the response from a guy on another forum (a photography forum of all things). He wrote a book (a picture book) of vintage firearms.

Based only on your pictures here is what he said:

"The top pistol is a Browning High-power pistol of more recent vintage, equipped with target sights and rubber wrap-around grips. It's in 9mm Luger caliber, and was the last invention by John Browning. It has been produced continuously from 1935 to present.

The lower pistol is a Model of 1911 .45 ACP U.S. military pistol. It's an early one, in pretty good shape. The 1911s were manufactured from 1912 to around 1926. They were used in the WWI, and were superseded by the Model 1911A1 (minor changes), which is still made today by many manufacturers. Special units and the Marines still favor this gun for its power over the 9mm current issue Beretta Model 92. It was the invention of John Browning and may still be the world's most enduring pistol design. Early 1911s are worth quite a bit these days.

Hope this helps."

I am certain he could give a ton more information but I didn't know what else to ask.

Former11B
21 December 2015, 13:53
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqhhjcbmd.jpg

A better shot of the Ruger. It is in excellent shape and the wood is gorgeous

Thanks for the information Alamo. I know for sure that the Browning was made in 1958 by researching the serial number. So if that is a "more recent" vintage, the gentleman may be of much older one hahah