PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Dropping reciprocity with 25 states

KW900A
22 December 2015, 09:19
Virginia is dropping reciprocity with 25 states.

I apologize if this has been posted, it just hit our news today. This could make future travels a headache...

Virginia to Not Accept Conceal-Carry Permits from 25 States
http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Virginia-to-Not-Accept-Conceal-Carry-Permits-from-25-States-363254731.html

Be aware this could apply to many of you too.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 December 2015, 09:31
I never have cared for Virginia. Just another reason not to go north... That's just BS...

Edit: thanks for the heads up KW900A

alamo5000
22 December 2015, 10:35
I can't read it on my phone...so why are they doing this?

Dstrbdmedic167
22 December 2015, 10:46
I can't read it on my phone...so why are they doing this?

They're virginia thats why... no common sense in the commenwealth...

Seriously though their reasoning is that the 25 listed states are not as thorough in filtering out people that should not be allowed to conceal. Virginia has a lot more hoops to jump through to obtain your CCWP. Since I live 45 min from VA I either have to obtain their permit, carry illegally or not carry..

alamo5000
22 December 2015, 10:51
I refuse to go to or do business in states that have stupid gun laws. I've driven completely around Colorado before. I've also turned down jobs based sheerly on the gun laws in the states that offered.

RiverRat
22 December 2015, 11:21
This is the price of geographical proximity to the complete ass-hattery found near Washington DC, New York City, all of California - especially where and when the Democratic Party is barely holds a grip.

The current VA Atty Gen (first democrat in several cycles) won his post by 0.04% of the vote and he'll will thrown back into the election process in 2017. He clearly needed to hammer this agenda while he had his brief opportunity.

KW900A
22 December 2015, 14:38
Unfortunately this all really took off a few months ago here when the two news reporters were killed while they were reporting. The family has been pushing for 'stricter control' and has the democratic state government on their side. So while seemingly doing 'something' essentially an agenda is getting pushed using the same scare tactics to get support the federal government is using.

KW900A
22 December 2015, 20:15
I'll see what happens with the laws in Ohio, North Carolina and Pennsylvania, I may have to look into non resident permits if need be. From what I am told, Pennsylvania requires mutual reciprocity so I know we are getting the boot from them.

Slippers
22 December 2015, 20:55
NC is fairly strict, so this is surprising.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 December 2015, 21:22
NC is fairly strict, so this is surprising.

Agreed and they want $79 to get their license... just an online test and the $$.. smh

KW900A
23 December 2015, 02:03
Well here in va I qualified for mine by showing proof of taking a hunter safety course... When I was 11...

UWone77
28 December 2015, 19:57
Now this is epic. GOP in VA is moving to defund the Governor's security detail.

http://www.allenbwest.com/2015/12/boom-virginia-republicans-fire-back-with-perfect-response-to-2nd-amendment-clampdown/

Dstrbdmedic167
28 December 2015, 20:00
I read this today and grinned from ear to ear... Never ceases to amaze me the idiocy that leads us sometimes...

Aragorn
28 December 2015, 20:34
Hmmmm.... defunding the Secret Service whenever an anti-gun/anti-self defense president is in office certainly would save the U.S. some $$.

Or, you know, just give them mace or whatever.

six8
30 December 2015, 13:33
Well here in va I qualified for mine by showing proof of taking a hunter safety course... When I was 11...

That's it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joelski
30 December 2015, 14:04
Instead of paying all that taxpayer money for an armed detail, just have the gub'ner follow suit with the Colorado university's advice to female students when they suggested that intentionally pooping their pants would fend off any would-be rapists. Apparently, they haven't seen what goes on in the ghan... OTOH, an armed confrontation probably would fix any regularity issues.[:D]

Army203
30 December 2015, 16:55
Crazy that Nebraska is on that list but not Utah? Both States require damn near the same training and live fire qual.

It is amazing that they are going to try and remove his security detail...

FortTom
30 December 2015, 17:58
Now this is epic. GOP in VA is moving to defund the Governor's security detail.

http://www.allenbwest.com/2015/12/boom-virginia-republicans-fire-back-with-perfect-response-to-2nd-amendment-clampdown/

I read this today and grinned from ear to ear... Never ceases to amaze me the idiocy that leads us sometimes...

That's it??

Yep, I laughed my ass off when I read that on the news. No I hope they can make it so. Same for Obama, his husband, and Hillary Clinton.

FT

KW900A
13 January 2016, 08:51
That's it??

Well you also have to have a clean background check etc. But with the proof of passing a hunter safety course, that showed my 'competency' with handling a firearm, there by not requiring me to attend a firearm course to get the ccp.

Even if said course was taken over 20 years ago and I do not remember actually handling any guns, much less shoot one. To me that requirement could use a little fine tuning.

KW900A
31 January 2016, 04:45
UPDATE---

An agreement has been reached. It still has to be voted on in the house, but it's republican controlled, so hopefully it pushes through.

Included in the deal is the reversal of the 25 state rejection, actually now they are reporting there will be reciprocity with nearly all 50 states. I read somewhere, reciprocity with all states providing a ccp. I need to dig into that more.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/29/464882165/virginia-reverses-new-concealed-carry-restrictions-secures-bipartisan-gun-deal

This article better outlines the details...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/01/29/virginia-concealed-carry-compromise-will-require-state-police-at-gun-shows/

Thompson
1 February 2016, 04:35
Not sure which is better or which is worse. The reciprocity reversal, or this:

In return, Republicans agreed to pass bills to revoke weapons for someone who was under a two-year protective order for domestic violence ...
Emphasis on "domestic violence" ... Just like that similar ruling in CA.

Aragorn
1 February 2016, 09:57
Not sure which is better or which is worse. The reciprocity reversal, or this:

Emphasis on "domestic violence" ... Just like that similar ruling in CA.

Wait, person UNDER protective order, as in person NEEDING PROTECTION, has their weapons REVOKED? As in seized? Or can't buy more?

KW900A
1 February 2016, 18:48
No I don't think that's it... At least I hope not. I believe in this wording, 'protective order' means restraining order. I did some googling and came up with that.

If that's the case, I'm not sure why they can't say restraining order...

Aragorn
1 February 2016, 19:12
No I don't think that's it... At least I hope not. I believe in this wording, 'protective order' means restraining order. I did some googling and came up with that.

If that's the case, I'm not sure why they can't say restraining order...

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Unfortunately the way things are with politics, no matter how rediculous something sounds plays no factor in whether or not it becomes a thing.

Seriously. My desire to remain well informed is at direct odds with my need to remain sane -.-

KW900A
2 February 2016, 05:49
Seriously. My desire to remain well informed is at direct odds with my need to remain sane -.-

Truth

Thompson
2 February 2016, 07:54
I hope you haven't read into AFT language/wording then. You might just get a migraine [BD]

WHSmithIV
7 February 2016, 01:01
Last I hear the governor threw it out and reciprocity is back in force. Also, the AG will be out. Governor said he was going to pull the state police detail from him.

KW900A
11 February 2016, 08:14
Now the big money protestors are getting involved with the deal. Michael Bloomberg took out a full page ad in the Richmond paper against it. Good news is our governor at least at the moment is seeming to have a backbone and sticking to his guns on this... Bad pun sorry...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/bloomberg-gun-control-group-launches-new-ad-against-mcauliffe/2016/02/09/5ef0e3e6-cf16-11e5-b2bc-988409ee911b_story.html