PDA

View Full Version : Changing a early 80's Colt

airborneski
1 March 2009, 04:55
I've got a 604 Colt A2. I live in NY, so it's a preban capable of being modified and it has a A2 flash hider w/ a bayo lug. No forward assist, and no deflector. It has a A2 barrell w/ A2 handguards. I'm thinking of putting a Magpul collapsing UBR stock on it, a duckbill mount, and an eotech hanging down to cowitness the sights. My question is would anyone tamper w/ an old classic Colt to modify it. It runs all ammo I put in it, even WOLF, which my M@P won't run. The Smith is nice, but wont shoot the Wolf, has no brake or F.H. due to NY laws. That said, the Smith has my Acog w/ TA 51 mount, could I mount this on my 604 upper w/o having to drill a second hole in the carry handle? 1.Should I modify the COLT?
2.Should I mount the Acog on the Colt A1 carry
handle or duckbill mount an eotech?
3. What brake should I get for the Smith, and is it a do
it yourself project? Could I hold the gun w/ a fake
mag in a vice, and get the proper die, thread the
barrell by hand?

gotm4
1 March 2009, 06:34
FWIW ARs that have trouble with Wolf 99% of the time will run with Wolf after a reaming with a Ned Christensen 5.56mm NATO neck and throat reamer.

airborneski
1 March 2009, 07:13
Do I just take my ar apart, place it in the chamber,then what? Is my chamber chromed? Will this hurt my chamber?

Stickman
1 March 2009, 11:24
I would get a new upper, I wouldn't modify the original unless money was super tight.

For the price of a decent carry handle extension to mount the Eotech, you could buy a flattop upper, which would be a much better way to go.

Army Chief
1 March 2009, 12:02
I don't know that a 604 upper is collectible, per se, but Stick is right: by the time you get all of your work-arounds in place, you could have just bought a new flattop -- and if money IS tight, you could probably finance the whole thing by selling the take-off upper. There is a market for Colt components of just about every possible variation.

AC

airborneski
1 March 2009, 14:32
I guess I've got a little more thinking to do, thanks for the ideas.