PDA

View Full Version : Site Improvements

UWone77
2 January 2016, 21:47
Just thought I'd share a few things as far as the site goes.

DeviantLogic has been brought in as an Admin on the software side of things here. You guys may have noticed him as he posts. He's been testing and evaluating our site upgrade on VBulletin. He's been instrumental in the site improvements and we're glad to have his time and expertise available to us.

Effective immediately, we're upgrading certain users' mailbox sizes.

Manufacturers/Dealers/Industry Partners will go up to 400 PM's

LEO/MIL vetted accounts will now have double the storage to 100 PM's

Once we implement site sponsorship, those that choose to go that route will be rewarded with 200 PM's.

Suggestions to improve the site are always welcome.

Thanks all!

Stone
2 January 2016, 23:41
How about adding the ability to upload photos directly from your computer. Frankly the whole photo-bucket fiasco sucks...

UWone77
2 January 2016, 23:54
How about adding the ability to upload photos directly from your computer. Frankly the whole photo-bucket fiasco sucks...

That should be corrected with the upgrade.

Battle Cock
3 January 2016, 00:51
I think it's been mentioned elsewhere, but if we could get easier YouTube embedding that'd be great. Sometimes I think I want to share a YouTube link but end up not doing it because I'd have to hunt around for the imbed ding instructions.
Bigger inboxes for sponsorship are an excellent perk!

Aragorn
3 January 2016, 01:04
That should be corrected with the upgrade.

Awesome! I only have a photobucket because of WEVO...

Will we be able to upload direct from mobile devices?

Battle Cock
3 January 2016, 01:06
Awesome! I only have a photobucket because of WEVO...

Will we be able to upload direct from mobile devices?

I have tapatalk and I've been posting images directly from the app for awhile now.

Aragorn
3 January 2016, 01:20
I have tapatalk and I've been posting images directly from the app for awhile now.

Ah, I don't use tapatalk. Haven't felt the need to on my iPad, which is pretty much all I use for browsing. Wish I'd have known what you just said for the past two years though... I probably WOULD be using it then.

DeviantLogic
3 January 2016, 09:24
I think it's been mentioned elsewhere, but if we could get easier YouTube embedding that'd be great. Sometimes I think I want to share a YouTube link but end up not doing it because I'd have to hunt around for the imbed ding instructions.

The recognition of different youtube URL's has improved in the new release. The best way to insert a video is following the menu bar link and filling in the video URL since it will fill out the proper code information for you (IE youtube vs full30). The attached photos were taken from the new release, but it should still apply in the current version.

SINNER
3 January 2016, 11:52
Is it possible to add a "replies" button to jump directly to threads you have commented on? This is one of the few that do not have that feature.

alamo5000
3 January 2016, 11:57
Is it possible to add a "replies" button to jump directly to threads you have commented on? This is one of the few that do not have that feature.

I would like to know when I have been replied to and/or quoted... not sure if that's an option but it would be nice.

Battle Cock
3 January 2016, 12:33
I would like to know when I have been replied to and/or quoted... not sure if that's an option but it would be nice.

If you have a smart phone, get tapatalk and use the forum through that. It will send push notifications when you are quoted.

DeviantLogic
3 January 2016, 12:43
You can subscribe to threads. You can find the "Thread Tools" menu at the top right of every thread. Click on that, then select "Subscribe to this Thread". I normally choose "Instant Notification by Email" under the notification type.

Additionally, in the advanced editor for creating threads or replying to threads, below the "Your Message" container is an "Additional Options" container that has a subscription option you can choose there as well.

You can then access your subscribed threads through the quick links menu on the forum menu.

alamo5000
3 January 2016, 12:43
If you have a smart phone, get tapatalk and use the forum through that. It will send push notifications when you are quoted.

Tried it and don't like it. I just use my laptop or the browser on my phone.

cjd3
3 January 2016, 20:07
How about an Optics/RDS forum?

SINNER
4 January 2016, 04:49
You can subscribe to threads. You can find the "Thread Tools" menu at the top right of every thread. Click on that, then select "Subscribe to this Thread". I normally choose "Instant Notification by Email" under the notification type.

Additionally, in the advanced editor for creating threads or replying to threads, below the "Your Message" container is an "Additional Options" container that has a subscription option you can choose there as well.

You can then access your subscribed threads through the quick links menu on the forum menu.

I know how to subscribe to threads and you can also search through the "find all posts" link on your profile page. I still like the replies button on the page header. I bet it would get 10 times the use as the "Mark forums read" button.

DeviantLogic
4 January 2016, 05:51
I know how to subscribe to threads and you can also search through the "find all posts" link on your profile page. I still like the replies button on the page header. I bet it would get 10 times the use as the "Mark forums read" button.

I'll keep an eye out for similar plugins. My guess is that the searches would be fairly resource intensive for this kind of functionality. If we find something, we can always test it out.

Stone
17 January 2016, 21:21
Am I missing it or was it not included in the update. The ability to upload a photo from my computer.

Dstrbdmedic167
17 January 2016, 21:23
Am I missing it or was it not included in the update. The ability to upload a photo from my computer.

you must be overlooking it. Click the picture with the tree(insert image tab) and then you can choose to either upload from computer or from URL on another tab..

Stone
17 January 2016, 21:48
Yep that's the one I clicked on and all it says is insert URL. No browse computer option...

Add an Image from Url

Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif

DeviantLogic
17 January 2016, 22:20
My bad. If you click the same icon now you should have the option to upload from your computer. Mind giving it another whirl?

Stone
18 January 2016, 08:50
[wow][bash]removed...[bash]

UWone77
18 January 2016, 11:43
For now, we are going to revert the photo feature back to Staff/Mods only... until we figure out how to host all the expected photos from all the photographers that post on the site.

This maybe just a Staff/Site Sponsor feature. We'll keep you posted.

gatordev
18 January 2016, 13:38
I was kind of surprised you guys were entertaining the idea given all the bandwidth and storage that would take with all the shutter bugs here. Makes sense you guys would want to hold off.

DeviantLogic
18 January 2016, 14:55
Believe me, we'd like to open it up. Storage costs money though. SAS drives in RAID is a different ballgame than desktop storage [BD]

Right now we're just trying to do some math on the expected volume of images, how much storage we currently have and what will be needed, plus what the costs will be if/when we have to expand our storage.

DeviantLogic
18 January 2016, 23:24
Floodgates are officially open

Stone
19 January 2016, 05:20
Very Nice and thanks for the photo from computer option.(other thread) As far as uploading a video do you copy the link then paste it in the insert video option?

DeviantLogic
19 January 2016, 05:52
Very Nice and thanks for the photo from computer option.(other thread) As far as uploading a video do you copy the link then paste it in the insert video option?

That's correct. The interface didn't change for inserting videos, however it's now compatible with more of the YouTube link formats.