PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork

Joelski
7 January 2016, 03:16
Okay, so my NFA cherry is officially gone, I'm curious what other members do as far as their paperwork. I've got copies made to stash in one of the battery tubes on the stock, case/bag, glove box in the truck, range box, phone and original in the safe. Anyplace else? Should I also copy my Trust paperwork to each place?

Thanks, fellas!

DeviantLogic
7 January 2016, 03:39
I have digital copies "in the cloud" and physical copies in my father's safe. Originals are in my safe, and I carry copies in my range bag plus any carrying cases.

Dstrbdmedic167
7 January 2016, 03:41
I keep an updated copy of my trust along with each stamp in a sealed folder in my truck. If your putting one in each location mentioned you're covered lol. Asking as you can provide proof you're good. I've never been asked but I can't see where anyone would have a problem if I said sure walk with me to my truck.

DeviantLogic
7 January 2016, 04:01
It sucks having to fish through all your stuff when a few county sheriffs roll up asking for paperwork. I've seen it happen. If you have multiple NFA items, keeping all the paperwork together in a binder or folder helps.

SwissyJim
7 January 2016, 10:51
I even made 1/3 sized laminated copies I put on my range pass lanyard for a quick look while I dig out my binder that is always in my range bag. I made printout copies of everything on the waterproof/rip proof NatGeo paper - those are in the binder in my bag. The originals are in the safe, I have a flash drive at work that has my digital, non-editable PDF version, and a set in 'the cloud' as well. So far, no one has bothered to ask. I even had a number of 'visitors' at the range while I was using a few - the local police, troopers, DEA and more use the range occasionally on closed days for training/qualifying, and I must have gathered a crowd of 6-8 looking and asking questions. Even let a few send rounds downrange to try them out! Not a one asked for paperwork. Maybe they saw the small versions on the lanyard around my neck... the lead training guy even offered to let me shoot their range the next time I see him there - they put cars downrange to teach new recruits you can't use doors for cover, only concealment. Hopefully when I see them doing it next, I'll have my 458Socom with me!

schambers
7 January 2016, 12:55
Made digital scans of the originals and uploaded them to the cloud. Also laminated the originals and locked them up along with the original trust paperwork.

Each of my rifles has their own gun case so a copy of the SBR paperwork goes in the case, and a copy goes in the grip core.

I only have one suppressor at this point and a copy of that stamp is stored in the associated rifle's gun case as well.

gatordev
7 January 2016, 13:48
This may be dependent on state law, but in Florida, the Trust is a protected legal document and isn't required to be shared. (Sharing it with the ATF when applying for a stamp is a different manner because it falls under tax law, which is privileged). However, a Certification of Trust, which is a separate document can be legitimately asked for, since it doesn't disclose all the legal details of the Trust.

Along with a copy of my stamps, I just have a copy of the Certification in my bag so that I'm not hauling around the actual Trust.

fledge
7 January 2016, 14:59
In addition to the above comments, my attorney has a copy of everything too in case all my copies go up in smoke.

alamo5000
7 January 2016, 15:29
Thanks for the ideas guys. I am also pretty new to the NFA thing so I have been wondering about all this. I rarely shoot off of my own property and/or a friend's ranch so I am rarely 'in public' shooting my guns or whatever... but transporting the stuff could pose a problem in some instances especially if I go somewhere else away from home.

I will make laminated color copies of my stamp(s) to keep in my rifle bag.

I will also keep a copy of everything in a safe at my parent's house. I might even rent a safe deposit box for the originals. Undecided for the latter. Oh yeah, and of course I will keep several digital copies of everything.

Slippers
7 January 2016, 16:10
Just to chime in, I do like many others have already said:

1. 1/2 size copy of each SBR stamp, sealed in a thick ziplock and placed inside the corresponding grip compartment on each lower receiver.
2. One complete copy of my trust, SBR stamps, and suppressor stamps in a waterproof envelope in each of my rifle/range bags.
3. Digital copies of everything, emailed to myself, so I can access it on my phone.

I also make sure there's a copy of the various form 20s I fill out, once a year, for interstate travel.

cjd3
7 January 2016, 18:01
Here is what i've done with my paperwork.
I have the originals at home.
I have a copy of all my trusts and stamps in various cloud accounts: DropBox, iCloud, Evernote.
I also have a reduced copy in a Locksac in my range bag.

I can't wait to start keeping a copy of my finger prints, retina scan, passport photo, DNA, and hair sample in a hermetically sealed container.

Mecha_Arms
8 January 2016, 00:20
For those of you who have copies of your full trust with you, how many pages are they? I couldn't do that with mine (not effectively I don't think).

Former11B
8 January 2016, 05:55
Okay, so my NFA cherry is officially gone, I'm curious what other members do as far as their paperwork. I've got copies made to stash in one of the battery tubes on the stock, case/bag, glove box in the truck, range box, phone and original in the safe. Anyplace else? Should I also copy my Trust paperwork to each place?

Thanks, fellas!

That sounds like A LOT of copies floating around waiting to get lost. I'd go with minimal but accessible

Joelski
8 January 2016, 05:59
I've been told that since my trust and gun both has my name in it, that my ID can serve as proof I'm the Settlor/Trustee.

cjd3
8 January 2016, 08:47
For those of you who have copies of your full trust with you, how many pages are they? I couldn't do that with mine (not effectively I don't think).
21 pages, set to print two to a page, double sided.