PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Paint?

alamo5000
7 January 2016, 19:29
Does anyone know anything about automotive paint? Particularly how to strip it off without damaging the underlying metal?

At my work they bought us all Yeti cups that look like this:

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/01/10372901.jpg

The only thing is they ordered a custom paint job on them that has an (ugly) company logo on it.

If nothing else I want to strip the paint off of the cup. Eventually if I can find someone to do it they will repaint it with my name on it.

Dstrbdmedic167
7 January 2016, 19:49
I have the same cup and thought mine was just Stainless steel? A lot of people are doing either auto paint or cerakote. Just about any reputable pained can do it for you...

alamo5000
7 January 2016, 19:54
I have the same cup and thought mine was just Stainless steel? A lot of people are doing either auto paint or cerakote. Just about any reputable pained can do it for you...

Mine is stainless steel, that's why I want to be extra careful about not damaging the cup. If I can figure out some kind of paint stripper that will take off the paint that will be good.

Honestly I don't want to spend a fortune on a frickin' cup.... but at the very least I want to take that ugly ass logo off it.

Dstrbdmedic167
7 January 2016, 19:57
Mine is stainless steel, that's why I want to be extra careful about not damaging the cup. If I can figure out some kind of paint stripper that will take off the paint that will be good.

Honestly I don't want to spend a fortune on a frickin' cup.... but at the very least I want to take that ugly ass logo off it.

Mine appears to be bare stainless is what I was getting at. Also the above picture is just a piece of paper.. the only logo on embossed(raised words" yeti") at the bottom of the cup. It isn't going anywhere without removing some serious amount of metal...

alamo5000
7 January 2016, 19:57
Basically they hired an auto body shop or someone to paint the cups with the company logo on them... apparently it wasn't cheap for the paint job...but I am just wondering if there is something I can buy at the auto parts store or where ever that I can at least make it look like stainless steel again.

Dstrbdmedic167
7 January 2016, 20:01
ohh well that bit of info helps... mineral spirits should remove it without damaging the SS.. at worst send it off and have it redone... its not like you paid for the cup [BD]

alamo5000
7 January 2016, 20:14
ohh well that bit of info helps... mineral spirits should remove it without damaging the SS.. at worst send it off and have it redone... its not like you paid for the cup [BD]

Mineral spirits... OK.... I was thinking finger nail polish remover but that paint job they put on there is pretty thick. I don't want to scrape it, sand it, or blast it because it might hurt the metal.

Basically whatever I end up using needs to pass a test... if you pour it on the hood of your car then wipe if off it should be bare metal... but not damage the metal.

Once I strip the paint off the cup will be fine :)

I can then ask around about getting a new paint job.

Dstrbdmedic167
7 January 2016, 20:15
Good luck lol

alamo5000
7 January 2016, 20:25
Maybe I will try something like this:

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/paint-remover-stripper-thinner/rust-oleum-clear-and-base-coat-remover/660007_0_0/?checkfit=true#tab-reviews

or this

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/paint-remover-stripper-thinner/rust-oleum-rust-stripper/660002_0_0/?checkfit=true

Slippers
7 January 2016, 20:33
Check Lowes or Home Depot for a small can of MEK. Use it outside, preferably with a respirator. It's much stronger than paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc. Shouldn't hurt stainless steel, but you can always test it on the underside of your cup, first.

alamo5000
7 January 2016, 20:39
Check Lowes or Home Depot for a small can of MEK. Use it outside, preferably with a respirator. It's much stronger than paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc. Shouldn't hurt stainless steel, but you can always test it on the underside of your cup, first.

If you look at the picture above... the top line of the 'Yeti' sticker down to that bottom line where they connected the base is where it's painted from. The base is bare stainless steel.

I will try that. That is the kind of thing I was wanting... something that will strip it right off. MEK.

Joelski
8 January 2016, 03:17
Brake fluid does the trick nicely of removing clear coat and base coat. Not sure about whether it might alter SS, though... always test on an inconspicuous area first. Preferably not the wife's car! [BG]

SINNER
8 January 2016, 03:51
Aircraft paint remover.

gatordev
8 January 2016, 03:59
Aircraft paint remover.

I think a lot of times, that's MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

SINNER
8 January 2016, 06:00
It should be 70-80% Dichloromethane if it's a good brand.

DutyUse
8 January 2016, 10:17
Aircraft paint remover.

This

gatordev
8 January 2016, 12:54
It should be 70-80% Dichloromethane if it's a good brand.

Now you got me wondering. I know at some point I've had maintainers use MEK, but maybe it was for something else. I'm going to have to ask next week.

GaSwamper
8 January 2016, 14:50
Now you got me wondering. I know at some point I've had maintainers use MEK, but maybe it was for something else. I'm going to have to ask next week.

Well, used to be it was used for everything from general cleaning to getting sealant off your hands. But ever since they figured out it was bad enough to make your babies be born naked they outlawed most uses, at least in the Air Force they did. But yea the old stuff would take the paint off.

GaSwamper
8 January 2016, 15:02
As far as taking the paint off your cup, yea either one, stripper or MEK will probly do it. Stripper will probly be a little less labor intensive if you follow the directions. But, the only thing I would worry about is what's behind it. Not a garuntee but if that stainless was slick there could still be a chemical etched looking area behind, or they scuffed it to make the paint stick better. Just a thought.

John Moses
8 January 2016, 21:14
I would just have it blasted with walnut shells if it were me....

gatordev
9 January 2016, 04:45
Well, used to be it was used for everything from general cleaning to getting sealant off your hands. But ever since they figured out it was bad enough to make your babies be born naked they outlawed most uses, at least in the Air Force they did. But yea the old stuff would take the paint off.

That may very well have been the case. I saw it used at one point, and now it's not.

Joelski
9 January 2016, 05:22
Somebody mentioned the phrase "labor-intensive", here's a thought; slap a stickie over the offending logo and call it a day.

sprayed99
11 January 2016, 21:42
aerosol aircraft stripper is the only thing that will remove it as a DIY type thing. However, you could also cause etching to the under lying stainless. I have been shooting paint for about 12 years on high end restorations. I normally soda blast finishes off.

alamo5000
12 January 2016, 19:41
I have been shooting paint for about 12 years on high end restorations.

How much would you charge me to repaint a cup? [:D]

SINNER
12 January 2016, 20:44
I'd Cerakote it.

alamo5000
13 January 2016, 05:06
I'd Cerakote it.

How much would that cost? I don't want to invest too much into a frickin' cup.

DutyUse
13 January 2016, 13:33
Just rattle can it camo and be done with it? There's a little redneck in all of us :)

alamo5000
13 January 2016, 14:19
I have certified more than my fair share of redneck blood flowing through these veins :)

I come from a long line of bona fide rednecks...

I was thinking that I might just do that though... Don't know about camo but I might just spray paint it and change it when I get tired of it.

alamo5000
16 January 2016, 18:26
Even though it was cold and rainy today I finally got around to testing out what I am going to do with my cup.

I bought a can of spray on paint stripper and it took off pretty much everything.

What I sprayed on there wasn't paint. I did buy a can of paint just in case I decide to try it though. I used some spray on rubber coating. It gives it a pretty good grip. I can peel it all off if I want to as well.

The only thing that I kind of screwed up on (which really isn't a big deal) is on the top edge when I went to peel the tape off it was pretty covered up so I had to score it gently with a knife, which I didn't get exactly straight. For the most part it came out pretty good.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1685/24344425341_289b7517a6_c.jpg

alamo5000
16 January 2016, 18:58
I will add this though...I have heard all kinds of stuff about these cups.... and for $40 per cup I was curious about all the hype.

After I got done with my screwing around with this thing I filled it up with ice and water and set it down with the lid on. I went to the movies and ran around for a bit and more than 5 hours later I came back home...

After 5 hours the cup hadn't sweated a bit and to my surprise the ice had barely melted. It was pretty good. I guess it does live up to the billing.

BTW my redneck mod cost about $20 bucks and that would be enough to strip and cover at least a dozen cups, maybe more.

SINNER
16 January 2016, 19:04
Looks good with the undercoating. Those cups certainly rock.

alamo5000
16 January 2016, 19:11
Looks good with the undercoating. Those cups certainly rock.

It's starting to grow on me for sure. I am normally not one to buy or use a $40 cup but hey, there is always a first time for everything.

It took me two tries to get it looking nice. I had to peel off the first attempt but then after that I put on two light coats and it turned out pretty good. It's smooth but also kind of grippy. I tried to cut that top line with a DPX Hest which probably isn't the best tool for that kind of job...

SINNER
16 January 2016, 20:25
Yeah application has a big effect on the finish. Lots of light coats for heavy texture. Thick coats for smoother finish. We used to dust tacky coats with sand to give grip on bumpers and steps on pipeliner trucks.

alamo5000
16 January 2016, 20:44
Yeah application has a big effect on the finish. Lots of light coats for heavy texture. Thick coats for smoother finish. We used to dust tacky coats with sand to give grip on bumpers and steps on pipeliner trucks.

I don't know anything about paint or painting so any tips are always welcome. I am going to see how durable the stuff I used is for a while first. Who knows. I might peel it off and try different things. As for now I am generally satisfied with the initial results.

I would like to make that top edge more straight though. Other than that... not bad [:D]

Joelski
17 January 2016, 03:29
Although it's probably some to do with the rubbery material vs. paint, it's generally easier to get a crisp edge by removing the masking, or striping tape before the paint has much chance to set up.