PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with QD mounts

cjd3
14 January 2016, 19:44
I'm still waiting for Mr. Omega to come home. I sure he's made a lot of foster supressor friends at his foster home. I have both my ARs outfitted with ASR mounts, and will be getting my hunting .30-06 threaded for the fall. The question is accuracy/POI shift and durability. While the Omega comes with both an ASR and threaded mount, what would be the best option for a hunting rifle?
Presently, I'm getting near .5" groups with handloads at 100 yards.

alamo5000
14 January 2016, 19:56
I don't know about Omega or any of that...I also don't know what you mean by 'durability'. But as a general rule your accuracy won't be affected that much if any, at least mine wasn't at all with my Griffin can. Same load same gun but point of impact shift will be there simply because you have a weight hanging on the end of your barrel and the harmonics will be changed. Your main concern will need to be re-zeroing your rifle for suppressed shooting and little more.

If you log your shots...and see where the shift goes to... down 3 inches and to the right 1 inch or whatever it is...write it down and keep it, however many clicks this way or that to get to the new impact point. You can then have a zero for suppressed and unsuppressed shooting if you so choose.

alamo5000
14 January 2016, 20:21
As for which actual firearm to use or specifically which type of mounting choice will or won't be better... from my research a thread on mount in theory offers better accuracy and better repeatability. That is part of the reason I chose the taper mount system that I chose. The can is oriented the same every time it's mounted.

After looking at some videos on the ASR mount I really don't think it will make any kind of significant difference.

DeviantLogic
14 January 2016, 20:30
Historically, the direct thread mounts have produced the better accuracy / repeatable POI shift. With some of the new quick detach mounting options, I've heard that the gap has been narrowed significantly. My experience is limited with the newer QD mounts, but I'd try the ASR mount first, and if the POI shift isn't as consistent as expected then go direct thread on the bolt gun.

alamo5000
14 January 2016, 20:33
I found this on another forum...it was on a Q&A about the Omega....

"Any issues with the ASR mount staying on the can, especially after a range session? Does it stay on the can or does it want to stick to the brake/flash hider?"

"The ASR mount... honestly, yes. The old "long" ASR flashhiders hit the blast baffle, so you need the new "short" asr flash hiders. (SiCo will exchange for free). The mount stayed on the can good "enough" but there's no grooves in the Omega to really get the ASR mount on there tight. It didn't back off or anything, and it wasn't BAD but just not as great as it could be."

Other places online basically just said they don't see any significant difference, but other people said the direct thread is lighter.

cjd3
14 January 2016, 20:42
Thanks, I've got time to play this summer. In my research, I've heard of direct thread cans coming loose. The ASR would seem to fix that malady. I'll have to watch the timing of the can to see if it returns to the same spot for repeatability.

alamo5000
14 January 2016, 20:54
Thanks, I've got time to play this summer. In my research, I've heard of direct thread cans coming loose. The ASR would seem to fix that malady. I'll have to watch the timing of the can to see if it returns to the same spot for repeatability.

For hunting I don't think you need to worry about the can loosening up. While I have zero experience with direct thread suppressors, for hunting I don't see you blasting away emptying a mag.

The can loosening up...if it does happen... will happen with heat and sustained fire.

DeviantLogic
14 January 2016, 20:56
Good read from our friends at Silencer Shop: Understanding the benefits of quick-attach suppressors (http://blog.silencershop.com/understanding-quickattach-suppressors/)

SINNER
15 January 2016, 06:51
The Omega with the ASR mount has shown very little shift on any of the weapons I've tried them on. And as I expected repeatability once zeroed for the can is almost perfect.

I have both direct thread and QD mounted .30 cal suppressors and after using the ASR I honestly do not see myself dealing with any more direct thread cans. As a matter of fact I am awaiting a Harvester big bore and have already picked up four brakes and the ASR mount for it (The big bore comes with no mounts). If for 1 second I thought the QD mount would affect accuracy on my .338 Edge or Lapua I would not use it.

The brakes function well on their own also but like any effective brake they are brutally loud.

Former11B
15 January 2016, 10:44
I'd do some testing with the ASR mount first, as I really don't think you'll have any POI shift worth mentioning (that you wouldn't also have with a direct thread) that will affect hunting. And it'll keep things simple in terms of swapping it to the other ASR equipping hosts.