PDA

View Full Version : SilencerCo Glock 17 barrel quick takes

gatordev
16 January 2016, 12:05
This isn't meant to be an exhaustive review, but instead a place where I can log continued reactions to the barrel...

I picked one of these up during their post-Christmas sale at the last minute (there may have been alcohol involved when making the purchase) and I figured worst case, I could sell it if I ended up wanting to go with something else. I was debating going with a factory LH threaded barrel or with one of the other nitrided match barrels that are out there. They all seemed to be hovering around the same basic price point. When the SilCo barrel came up for sale for $150, I said what the hell.

My factory Glock (non-TB) has about 2700 rounds through it and has had very good accuracy. I've mostly run Seiler & Bellot or Federal 115gr and it's been able to consistently hit a 50% IPSC at 50 yards without an issue. I've stretched out to 100 yards on a full-sized IPSC and it did fine. Not a huge surprise for Glock, but it's consistency in closer has also been very good (more so than my G19, but I'm thinking that may be shooter error).

I really wasn't sure what to expect from SilCo's barrel, as the reviews so far online have been thin. Today's range trip was only 97 rounds expended, about half of which were suppressed. Unfortunately today the max distance was 15 yards. Will hopefully go farther next weekend.

Looks like so far, accuracy is not a concern. It was shooting out a 2" bull at 15y with no problems. I want to say it was slightly tighter than my OEM barrel, but maybe I was just having a good day. Running it suppressed had no noticeable POI change (other than the shooter causing some fliers on his own). So far, I'm very impressed and look forward to run it some more unsuppressed to get more data.

(Recycled picture):

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1579/24169828822_618ecb0125_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CPNG3A)

voodoo_man
16 January 2016, 12:12
My G17L has a silencerco threaded barrel. I bought one from them because they offered it and I don't really trust lone wolf or the other cheapy types and didn't want to spend $$$ on a barsto. Works well so far, accuracy is on par with an OEM barrel.

http://i.imgur.com/KYqGWga.jpg

SwissyJim
16 January 2016, 12:44
Good to know...I just picked up a Sig MK25 that included a SilencerCo threaded barrel for it. I am having to have it fit as it did not drop in, and was worried I was spending money on a barrel not worth it! I too found very, very few reviews on them. I do like that it is the normal 1/2x28 threads instead of Sig's LH stuff...that way I don't need another piston.

SINNER
16 January 2016, 12:45
I have one in a 21 and in a HK VP9. Zero complaints with either one although the one in the VP9 has seen minimal use (under 300 rounds).

SwissyJim
20 January 2016, 16:45
Got a call today, my Sig is ready and being shipped back. Guy said he was impressed with the SilencerCo barrel... tests after fitting and new sights showed it was every bit as good as the OEM barrel. Good enough for me... he was rated in the top 3 Sig Sauer gunsmiths from SigTalk so can't be all bad, right? I'll have it by Tuesday to test out.

alamo5000
20 January 2016, 17:08
I bought a silencerco barrel for my 226 because I too didn't want to hassle with the changing of the piston for different guns. My can is in jail still but a few test shots showed very good accuracy with mine.

I also picked up a 1/2x28 threaded barrel for a CZ 75B so I now have two suppressor hosts just waiting for my stamp. :)

gatordev
24 January 2016, 10:47
Another 211 rounds fired yesterday, 181 of which were suppressed. Without the can, 50y shots on half-sized steel targets were not a problem. It did have a pretty major POI shift once the can started heating up, but that's more academic than concerning given we were screwing around at that distance.

Closer in, it continued to be a great performer, unsuppressed. I did have one or two FTFeeds, but it may have been due to getting gummed up as the gun got dirty with the can. The barrel itself is still a little stiff in the slide as it breaks in. I continue to be a happy customer.

Deadwing
31 January 2016, 02:05
I wish i'd picked one up for my G19 while they were on sale. I was debating getting the SilencerCo barrel or an AAC threaded barrel since i've still got promo store credit and chose not to decide. I've read that the AAC barrels are made by Storm Lake, which seems to be a step up from Lone Wolf, but nothing to write home about. I may just get a factory threaded barrel, since i've already got M13.5x1LH pistons for my USP9.

Glad to hear you're getting good results so far, gatordev. I look forward to further updates.