PDA

View Full Version : My first 300AAC Blackout

ttribby60531
17 January 2016, 13:17
I am considering building a 300AAC Blackout. I just finished my first AR build in 5.56. My next build I was planning on a 13.7" 223wylde with a pinned and welded kx5. However I am curious about the 300AAC Blackout and how it would perform in a 13.7"barrel. I've read that the round is excellent in a shorter barrel but I have seen a lot of people who shoot 300AAC Blackout normally use a 10.5" barrel. Unfortunately my state does not allow sbr's. I have considered building a pistol chambered in 300AAC Blackout as well and maybe one day I will or I will just move haha.

When it comes to building I consider myself a novice so Thanks to everyone that will provide feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

mustangfreek
17 January 2016, 13:23
Another thing to consider with 300 , is the price of ammo..reloading for this round is very helpful.

Can't add much else, I have most parts and stuff for a bo build.

ttribby60531
17 January 2016, 13:33
My Dad is very into reloading so I can always use this project as an excuse to learn how to do it.

alamo5000
17 January 2016, 13:35
If you're not going to suppress it and you can't SBR it then I would spend a little extra and do a .308 build.

P39
17 January 2016, 13:39
I've built 2 BO's. One was built as a pistol so I can ultimately suppress it. The other is a rifle.

DutyUse
17 January 2016, 14:21
The benefits I see going to the 300 is the ability to go with a super short barrel and have an excellent suppressor host.

In fact I just did an 8.5" SBR build and have a Silencerco can on order for it. Eventually it'll be one of our home defense rifles with intended role of 50 yards and in. I think in that role it excels.

If your not going to go super short (10" barrel or less) and don't plan to suppress it, then I probably would look at something else. Just my two cents

UWone77
17 January 2016, 14:32
The benefits I see going to the 300 is the ability to go with a super short barrel and have an excellent suppressor host.

In fact I just did an 8.5" SBR build and have a Silencerco can on order for it. Eventually it'll be one of our home defense rifles with intended role of 50 yards and in. I think in that role it excels.

If your not going to go super short (10" barrel or less) and don't plan to suppress it, then I probably would look at something else. Just my two cents

This is spot on. 300 blk was made for short or short/suppressed. Otherwise, no real point.

Then again... I have a whole safe full of no real point guns. [BD]

SwissyJim
17 January 2016, 18:08
can't add anything that has not been said (short, suppressed, reloading) but I CAN say that my short barreled suppressed 300BLK is the one rifle that ALWAYS goes to the range with me, and is the only one I have that has a dedicated suppressor on it. It's that much fun.

Aberration79
18 January 2016, 08:08
http://www.ozarkordnance.com/300-AAC-Blackout_c_13.html

I have only ran the 147gr FMJ. Not only is it the best price on FMJ I have found, but its new 300BLK brass. 39c/rnd @ 1000. Not too bad IMO. 5.56 was more than that during the hoarding.

I am on my second lot of 500. I have maybe 1 round per 30/mag that doesn't go bang. I haven't really counted, its just plinking ammo. Running 8.5" barrel, MVB Stoc/double stack spring and carbine buffer.