PDA

View Full Version : New build - headspace question?

cutt1100
19 January 2016, 21:40
I have a new barrel marked 5.56 Nato. I plan to shoot only 223's in it. Do I need 5.56 headspace gauges or 223 headspace gauges? Both Midway and Brownells has both. Thanks

DeviantLogic
19 January 2016, 22:39
5.56 barrel = 5.56 headspace gauges

DutyUse
20 January 2016, 00:24
Why do you think you'll need a headspace gauge? Any quality bcg and barrel will be in spec 99% of the time

mustangfreek
20 January 2016, 07:32
I have a new barrel marked 5.56 Nato. I plan to shoot only 223's in it. Do I need 5.56 headspace gauges or 223 headspace gauges? Both Midway and Brownells has both. Thanks

First build or AR? If so I get the DIY thing as that's me, but if you got a friend or someone close by that's done it before I'd say offer up something and have them help/ guide of what not..Just a friendly suggestion, they are like Legos but by the question assuming your new to the platform or just building?

Also welcome!!

5.56 barrel = 5.56 headspace gauges

X2

SINNER
20 January 2016, 08:44
Why do you think you'll need a headspace gauge? Any quality bcg and barrel will be in spec 99% of the time

I ALWAYS headspace every build. Way more than people expect are borderline at best. Details like head spacing and pinning gas blocks, dimpling barrels on ones that can't be pinned all make the difference between another dining room assembler and a true builder IMO.

DutyUse
20 January 2016, 09:48
No arguments here. I just don't think a one and done builder needs to buy a set.

Hmac
20 January 2016, 09:58
I've never headspaced any of the 12-15 uppers that I've built, nor have I ever felt the need when swapping BCGs. IMHO, generally unnecessary if you're using a quality barrel and BCG.

Dstrbdmedic167
20 January 2016, 10:04
I think using headspace gauges is a great tool for giving you that extra piece of mind and verification that everything is in order. Is it truly needed? That depends on you. As HMAC said as long as your using quality parts from reputable companies your highly unlikely to have an issue relating to headspacing.

UWone77
20 January 2016, 10:08
I ALWAYS headspace every build. Way more than people expect are borderline at best. Details like head spacing and pinning gas blocks, dimpling barrels on ones that can't be pinned all make the difference between another dining room assembler and a true builder IMO.

LOL, this is so true. I love watching people at the range bitching their new build doesn't run... all dining room assemblers who have watched 1 youtube video.

DutyUse
20 January 2016, 10:21
Attention to detail certainly separates the hobbyists. But if a friend asked me should they buy a go/no go/ field gauge kit for their one build I would tell them they'd be better served spending that money on a matched bolt from the manufacture instead.

n4p226r
20 January 2016, 10:58
this reminds me to go look for a set of gauges. i've only built one (the other was a complete upper).

any opinions on the places that match the bolt to the barrel within tighter tolerances to the mil spec?

n4p226r
20 January 2016, 10:59

do i get extra points for sourcing and buying a tube of 33MS grease? I've used about 1/10000 of the tube on my first build

UWone77
20 January 2016, 13:22
do i get extra points for sourcing and buying a tube of 33MS grease? I've used about 1/10000 of the tube on my first build

Just buy a Gear Sector Handguard, they include a small tub, enough for a lifetime of builds. [:D]

cutt1100
20 January 2016, 14:33
It's a Wilson barrel with a Wilson BCG.

Joelski
20 January 2016, 14:56
You can spend $60 on a go/no go set, but I'd wager $1,000 of UWOne's money that those parts are in-spec.

cutt1100
20 January 2016, 16:08
#319-223-464EK.223 (5.56 NATO) Go 1.4636”
#319-223-467EK.223 (5.56 NATO) No-Go 1.4666”
#319-223-470EK.223 (5.56 NATO) Field 1.4696”
This is the reason I asked the original question.

John Moses
20 January 2016, 18:17
I would buy the Headspace gauges... you have to remember that everyone and their brother are selling barrels, and BCG's these days. I have seen out of spec "designer" barrels and BCG's as well as Mil-spec /Mil contractor ones. I am not sure if you have Wilson parts, or Wilson Combat parts, as they are not the same. I know WC is doing some barrel work in house. Wilson makes barrels for a lot of folks in the industry. At the end of the day you have to place a value on your face,eyesight etc. To me $60 is a fair price for a piece of mind. I have not seen many people who build one AR and stop, so chances are you will build another at some point.

P39
20 January 2016, 18:30
I would buy the Headspace gauges... you have to remember that everyone and their brother are selling barrels, and BCG's these days. I have seen out of spec "designer" barrels and BCG's as well as Mil-spec /Mil contractor ones. I am not sure if you have Wilson parts, or Wilson Combat parts, as they are not the same. I know WC is doing some barrel work in house. Wilson makes barrels for a lot of folks in the industry. At the end of the day you have to place a value on your face,eyesight etc. To me $60 is a fair price for a piece of mind. I have not seen many people who build one AR and stop, so chances are you will build another at some point.

You make 2 great points here. The first is that everyone and their brother is making barrels and BCG's and you simply don't know what you're getting. The second is that once you build one, you will undoubtedly build at least another.

That said, I didn't check headspace on my first build, but I have on all others.

cutt1100
20 January 2016, 22:45
They are both Wilson Combat. I'm with John Moses and P39 on this one. $60.00 is not a lot to spend for peace of mind. Not to open a can of worms but, just wondering why some companies list a 5.56 and a 223. And another company says they are both the same.

SINNER
21 January 2016, 02:38
They are not the same. 5.56 NATO chambers have slightly longer head spacing than .223. Use the gauge that matches the barrel markings.

MoxyDave
21 January 2016, 10:24
I bought a Lilja barrel and had to send it back due to headspacing issues. This can and does happen even with the most expensive parts. Always a good idea to verify headspace.

SINNER
22 January 2016, 07:19
6 magazines worth of ammo is about what a set costs. So for a tool that checks the most critical dimension on a weapon and lasts a lifetime some people will actually debate it's worth. Mind boggling.

And name brand and cost has nothing to do with a out of spec part. I've had $400 triggers completely incompatible with a $80 safety. Just look at all the fitment issues discussed every day. Poor upper/lower fit, barrel extensions to uppers, the list never ends.

Judging by my experience with actually checking the head space, 2-3% of the firearms built the head spacing is off.

mustangfreek
24 January 2016, 01:15
I bought a set of. 556 gushed for peace of mind, so far everything I've played with has been good.. A few tighter then other chambers but all passed.

Got a 300 build on the block and dont plan on many so would rather see if I could borrow a set atleast if not buying or having a reputable gun shop/ smith get it done.