PDA

View Full Version : Life dilemma - Career choice

Josh S.
22 January 2016, 16:18
Long-winded post here so go ahead and pop some popcorn, go to the bathroom, whatever you need to do lol

Alright, so here's where I'm at. When I was in high school I decided I was going to join the Marine Corps right after I graduated. I watched tons of videos, did research, etc, and was very excited to join, until I got curious one day and decided to look up the disqualifying factors for the Marines. There it was..."No asthma symptoms after your 13th birthday." I was crushed. I had been diagnosed with sports induced asthma in 6th grade, took an inhaler before playing baseball/football, and only had one attack when I was in 9th grade/14 yrs old. The attack happened at school baseball practice, the coach called an ambulance, and they took me to the hospital and I was released 2 hours later. I haven't had any symptoms in 6 years and haven't taken any medication in a little over 5 years.

I'm currently 20 years old, I have 2 years of college under my belt, but I quit school after last Spring semester to pursue a career in insurance. My parents own an insurance agency and they proposed the idea for me to quit school, get my adjuster license, and go to work for one of the big companies as a claims adjuster to get some experience and then take over their agency down the road after they retire. I got my license a few months ago and I'm in the process of searching for a job but as the title suggests, I'm having second-thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity my parents have given me, but do I really want to sit behind a desk for the next 30 years?

With that said, my first choice would definitely be the Marine Corps. I need to see a Pulmonologist to see if I still have asthma or not because I'm not entirely sure that I do. I haven't had symptoms in 6 years and I have no doubt I can exceed the minimum PFT requirements. Even when I had asthma, I was able to run 3 miles without an inhaler and always finished close to the front. If I see all the required doctors and they tell me I still have asthma, so be it, I'll do something else. But I have to at least try. I'm prepared to go through all the tests and obtain all the necessary waivers. To those of you who have served, regardless of branch, did you ever know anyone with asthma who was able to join? Would joining the Navy or Army be a more realistic option than the Marines?

As an alternative to the military, law enforcement would be my second choice. I live about 30 minutes outside of Houston so I would probably begin my career with Houston PD. They require 48 credit hours of college and I think I have about 45 so I'll probably go ahead and sign up for an upcoming Feb.-May online course. To the LEO reading this, what are the typical work hours? How far can your career go without a college degree? What are the pros/cons of big departments such as HPD vs. small-town departments? And lastly, are you satisfied wth your career choice? Do you ever wish you would've gone another route which entailed a higher salary, or are you contempt with your choice? I know money isn't everything, but it's part of it. However, I feel like I'd much rather do something I love for lower pay, than be miserable and make better money.

Please feel free to tell me anything you think I may need to know.

Also, I went to see the USMC Recruiter today but no one was home so I'll be going back next Friday. Thought I would post this for some additional input in the meantime.

Ordnance
22 January 2016, 16:24
My advice is don't ask for advice on a life changing decision in a forum... online... Just saying.

UWone77
22 January 2016, 16:33
Just out of curiosity I have a few questions:

1. Why do you want to join the Marine Corps?

2. What about Law Enforcement appeals to you?

schambers
22 January 2016, 17:05
I would also like to echo Ordnance and UWone77; take everything on the Internet with a grain of salt. Also curious to know your motivations for the above career paths. Military service and law enforcement are two very different things in my mind.

My question: What is preventing you from finishing your degree? My advice would be to finish your education and spend some more time thinking about what you want to do. No matter what you choose, you will be better off having the degree under your belt than not and finishing your BA now will be much easier than when you are trying to balance a career and a family at the same time. Just my two cents.

alamo5000
22 January 2016, 17:18
My advice is to skip all the bullshit and become a millionaire. You can have a hell of a nice gun collection and you won't have a drill instructor screaming at you... and you also won't have to fill out nearly as much paper work or deal with nearly as many dumbass people as you would being a cop.

UWone77
22 January 2016, 17:46
My advice is to skip all the bullshit and become a millionaire. You can have a hell of a nice gun collection and you won't have a drill instructor screaming at you... and you also won't have to fill out nearly as much paper work or deal with nearly as many dumbass people as you would being a cop.

Being a "millionaire" doesn't mean you can buy all the guns you want. [:)]

gatordev
22 January 2016, 18:25
I can only go off what I've read, so bear with me...

IF you want to join the Marines, you can't be told "no" until you ask. Yes, there's all kinds of MEPS and N3M standards, but until you actually go through the process and see an outside doc for an opinion, you won't truly know the answer. Trust me, I was told "no" on two different occasions, one for a misunderstanding that wouldn't have been resolved unless I asked a simple question, and the other if I hadn't fought the process. Don't assume the answer is no, until you've been told "no," preferably at least twice.

All that said, if you're not sure that's the path you want to take, then there's plenty of other service oriented paths you can take (LE, various service organizations, etc).

alamo5000
22 January 2016, 18:30

It helps. It's certainly better than the alternative :) LOL!

FortTom
22 January 2016, 18:55
if you join the military, you'd better think long and hard, and get a job that will give you skills that can relate to the civilian world. Also, it's not like it was back in my day (I retired at 38 in 1995. Used to be, if you did a good job, got promoted in a timely manner according to your time in, and kept your nose clean, you had a job for at least 20 years to 30 years. Not anymore. You can work your ass of now, do a couple of tours in scary places, and still get told "we don't need you anymore". Compared to other services, the Marines have more turn-over of first term personnel than any other branch. It's not an easy life, and many first term Marines just say screw it and get out. Will you have marketable job skills when you get out? The recruiter will tell you you're a leader! Everyone wants to hire a leader. While that's true to some extent, realize that there are hundreds of thousands of veteran leaders out there competing for the same jobs.

I'm not trying to convince you to, or not to join the Marines, I'm just saying, I wouldn't consider it as a career path, until it was close to time to re-enlist. You may have a whole new outlook on things after your first tour. Just saying. If you want adventure, and can wait a few years until you decide what to do, then go for it.

Lastly, I have to echo the sentiments of those who say that searching for a career path on a gun forum might not be the best way to research something that could have dramatic effects on your life. A great many of us here are vet's and LEO's, so you're probably not going to get a "don't do it" (join the Marines or become a Cop).

Your best bet is to talk to (in real life, a Marine, not a recruiter, or a Cop) Don't expect any recruiter, regardless of branch of service, to tell you "here's all the bad shit about a career in the military", that's not what they get paid to do. Also consider that many vet's who got out after 1 term, may be bitter, or at least biased, or dismayed with the military. Ask them why they got out. Family issues, constant separation from loved ones, etc? or non-hackers that regretted the day they enlisted, for what ever reason. Or some of them just wanted a career change, like you do now.

It's a big leap between an insurance adjuster, or becoming a Marine or LEO. Choose wisely, grasshopper.[:D]

FT

UWone77
22 January 2016, 18:58
It helps. It's certainly better than the alternative :) LOL!

I think there is a big difference between having millions in spare cash, and having a net worth over a million... is basically where I was going with that. But yeah you're right, certainly better than having nothing. [:D]

FortTom
22 January 2016, 19:00

You can buy a "million" dollars worth. That's probably quite a few...[:D]

alamo5000
22 January 2016, 19:10
I think there is a big difference between having millions in spare cash, and having a net worth over a million... is basically where I was going with that. But yeah you're right, certainly better than having nothing. [:D]

Oh absolutely. There are people in California that 'technically' are millionaires because they own a house...but they don't actually 'have' a million dollars...

I'm talking having 10-15 million free and clear... I could have a very nice life with that.

Josh S.
22 January 2016, 19:41
My advice is don't ask for advice on a life changing decision in a forum... online... Just saying.

I disagree...I'm pretty good at sifting through the BS, but if an established member/admin has some credible, helpful input, I'm all ears. Am I going to rely solely on the comments of this post to make my life changing decision? Of course not. So why not try to gain some extra info from knowledgable sources which I wouldn't have gotten otherwise?

Just out of curiosity I have a few questions:

1. Why do you want to join the Marine Corps?

2. What about Law Enforcement appeals to you?

Here lately I've noticed that I've formed sort of a pessimistic, yet realistic view of our society and I just don't feel like falling into a path of monotony for the next 30+ years. I want to go to work everyday never knowing what to expect, whether good or bad. At this point I'm pretty set on Military or Law Enforcement as my two primary options as a way out of that path. I'm not much of an air or water person, so it was between the Army and Marines and I chose the Marines for several reasons. I've always admired the brotherhood they have between one another and their traditions and values. Don't get me wrong, each branch has these traits, but from the outside looking in they are far more prevalent in the Marine Corps. I would like to have the honor of serving my country but I also believe in public service and enjoy helping others any way I can, which is why law enforcement is my second choice.

Army203
22 January 2016, 19:41
A vet with a degree is more valuable than a vet without a degree. You will be much more competitive with at least a BA when you get out of the military. I can't speak for the Marines, but I had four guys in my Infantry platoon who left the Marine Corp because promotions were faster and easier to get in the Army.

I also had three guys who had their college knocked out already. They came in as an E-4 and quickly climbed the enlisted ladder because education gets you points. One is now a W3 flying choppers after he made his Staff Sgt. The other is now a Cpt leading an Infantry company. The last guy had his BA in CJ and rubbed the right elbows and got picked up by CID.

My advice, finish school if you can. Don't just settle with one branch of the military. You have five to pick from, and the Coast Guard does some pretty cool shit if you get the right job. Let MEPs tell you "no" like others have said.

tact
22 January 2016, 20:13
I would encourage you to talk to different recruiters of different branches. I was pretty young, they all promised me a litany of material things......faster promotions, nice cars, dorms, etc. One didn't. I would also echo FTs suggestion of advice from former vets especially those that are in the line of work you're favoring. I don't buy picking a job that you can transition to easily in the civilian world unless that is your goal.....get in get out. Do what you want to do. And just because you decide to enlist doesn't mean the schooling you've had is lost, as countless people have started and finished degrees while in the military.

Josh S.
22 January 2016, 20:19
if you join the military, you'd better think long and hard, and get a job that will give you skills that can relate to the civilian world. Also, it's not like it was back in my day (I retired at 38 in 1995. Used to be, if you did a good job, got promoted in a timely manner according to your time in, and kept your nose clean, you had a job for at least 20 years to 30 years. Not anymore. You can work your ass of now, do a couple of tours in scary places, and still get told "we don't need you anymore". Compared to other services, the Marines have more turn-over of first term personnel than any other branch. It's not an easy life, and many first term Marines just say screw it and get out. Will you have marketable job skills when you get out? The recruiter will tell you you're a leader! Everyone wants to hire a leader. While that's true to some extent, realize that there are hundreds of thousands of veteran leaders out there competing for the same jobs.

I'm not trying to convince you to, or not to join the Marines, I'm just saying, I wouldn't consider it as a career path, until it was close to time to re-enlist. You may have a whole new outlook on things after your first tour. Just saying. If you want adventure, and can wait a few years until you decide what to do, then go for it.

Lastly, I have to echo the sentiments of those who say that searching for a career path on a gun forum might not be the best way to research something that could have dramatic effects on your life. A great many of us here are vet's and LEO's, so you're probably not going to get a "don't do it" (join the Marines or become a Cop).

Your best bet is to talk to (in real life, a Marine, not a recruiter, or a Cop) Don't expect any recruiter, regardless of branch of service, to tell you "here's all the bad shit about a career in the military", that's not what they get paid to do. Also consider that many vet's who got out after 1 term, may be bitter, or at least biased, or dismayed with the military. Ask them why they got out. Family issues, constant separation from loved ones, etc? or non-hackers that regretted the day they enlisted, for what ever reason. Or some of them just wanted a career change, like you do now.

It's a big leap between an insurance adjuster, or becoming a Marine or LEO. Choose wisely, grasshopper.[:D]

FT

I appreciate the input, FT. Don't worry, this isn't a spur of the moment decision. I didn't wake up this morning and say, "I think I want to join the military." I've been considering it for several years and never got to the point where I went to talk to a recruiter, until today. I wouldn't have walked up to that door if I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

Also, like I mentioned in my previous post, this thread isn't the extent of my research. I have several friends in the Navy, Army, Marines, and Air Force and I plan on contacting all of them to pick their brains. My family is also close with the police chief and several police officers in our town who I plan on setting up meetings with as well. I'm trying to gain as much info as possible, from as many sources as possible, and figured there may be some info to be had here....and I was right.

Would you happen to know if mechanics in the military have to have prior experience or does the military teach them everything they need to know? I would prefer to go Infantry but considering my history of asthma it's likely that I'll have to choose another job if I do get in. I have a strong passion for automobiles and I don't think I would mind being a mechanic one bit.

Thompson
22 January 2016, 20:35
Would you happen to know if mechanics in the military have to have prior experience or does the military teach them everything they need to know? I would prefer to go Infantry but considering my history of asthma it's likely that I'll have to choose another job if I do get in. I have a strong passion for automobiles and I don't think I would mind being a mechanic one bit.
Speaking for the Army side of the house, I do not think you have to come in with prior knowledge and/or experience (for the most part). After you graduate Basic Combat Training (BCT), you'll be sent off to Advanced Individual Training (AIT) - where you'll learn the job (MOS).

Josh S.
22 January 2016, 20:35
I would encourage you to talk to different recruiters of different branches. I was pretty young, they all promised me a litany of material things......faster promotions, nice cars, dorms, etc. One didn't. I would also echo FTs suggestion of advice from former vets especially those that are in the line of work you're favoring. I don't buy picking a job that you can transition to easily in the civilian world unless that is your goal.....get in get out. Do what you want to do. And just because you decide to enlist doesn't mean the schooling you've had is lost, as countless people have started and finished degrees while in the military.

Thank you, tact. My plan is not to get in and get out. If I get in I plan on staying in as long as I can. No one is forcing me to join and I have a very strong mentality so I'm pretty confident I wouldn't be bailing after my first deployment. As far as school goes, it's just not for me. It's not that I'm dumb, I currently have a 3.4 GPA, and I could finish if I wanted to. I have to use student loans though and don't feel like racking up $60-100k in debt before I graduate, just to get a job I probably could've gotten without a degree, such as a job in insurance. Like Dave Ramsey says, "Education is not a correlation to success." Sure it may help. But it is by no means necessary. With enough determination and motivation and a strong work-ethic, a person can become successful with or without a degree. People will disagree with me all day long, but it won't change my view on education.

FortTom
22 January 2016, 20:36
Generally, in the military, you receive training for the job you are going to be doing. You take an aptitude test, and if your scores are high enough for you to get training, such as electronics, data processing, mechanics, etc...and the branch you choose has jobs to fill, that's where you'll go. You can also be a "cop" in the military. There you go, best of both worlds.

FT.

Army203
23 January 2016, 00:00
Thank you, tact. My plan is not to get in and get out. If I get in I plan on staying in as long as I can. No one is forcing me to join and I have a very strong mentality so I'm pretty confident I wouldn't be bailing after my first deployment. As far as school goes, it's just not for me. It's not that I'm dumb, I currently have a 3.4 GPA, and I could finish if I wanted to. I have to use student loans though and don't feel like racking up $60-100k in debt before I graduate, just to get a job I probably could've gotten without a degree, such as a job in insurance. Like Dave Ramsey says, "Education is not a correlation to success." Sure it may help. But it is by no means necessary. With enough determination and motivation and a strong work-ethic, a person can become successful with or without a degree. People will disagree with me all day long, but it won't change my view on education.

A lot of branches will offer student loan repayment. You may want to look into that. As for wanting to go in the Infantry, I spent 6 years in the Army Infantry, It is a young man's game and will beat you down over time.

If you are worried about Asthma I wouldn't pick the infantry. Even in a Mechanized unit we still ran about 5 miles three times a week or more. Don't for get the road marches, and not short ones, but 15K-25K can be a normal thing. That being said, it was highly rewarding and you with make life long friends you will call your brothers. You will learn what a POG is. The infantry teaches better leadership than other MOS IMHO because promotions come fast and they expect you to know your shit. That being said, in the infantry you will have some very, very smart people because on average they tend to get some people with high GT scores. However, you will also see some people who are...well a step above retarded is about as kind as I can put it.

One bright side about going in the Army compared to other branches is the ability to get your MOS written in stone at MEPs. People can enlist for SF right out the gate and fast track into it. You can also do the same if you want flight school.

Just remember if you are in a high tempo unit or MOS finishing school while you are in will be very hard.

I knew when I was 17 and getting ready to join that I wanted to be Infantry. It came down to picking the Marines or the Army. I know I didn't want to be around water and the Marines belong to the department of the Navy. Which meant I could get stuck on a ship for 6 months...nope not for me. So, I joined the Army, picked Infantry and Airborne.

FortTom
23 January 2016, 01:12
A lot of branches will offer student loan repayment. You may want to look into that. As for wanting to go in the Infantry, I spent 6 years in the Army Infantry, It is a young man's game and will beat you down over time.

If you are worried about Asthma I wouldn't pick the infantry. Even in a Mechanized unit we still ran about 5 miles three times a week or more. Don't for get the road marches, and not short ones, but 15K-25K can be a normal thing. That being said, it was highly rewarding and you with make life long friends you will call your brothers. You will learn what a POG is. The infantry teaches better leadership than other MOS IMHO because promotions come fast and they expect you to know your shit. That being said, in the infantry you will have some very, very smart people because on average they tend to get some people with high GT scores. However, you will also see some people who are...well a step above retarded is about as kind as I can put it.

One bright side about going in the Army compared to other branches is the ability to get your MOS written in stone at MEPs. People can enlist for SF right out the gate and fast track into it. You can also do the same if you want flight school.

Just remember if you are in a high tempo unit or MOS finishing school while you are in will be very hard.

I knew when I was 17 and getting ready to join that I wanted to be Infantry. It came down to picking the Marines or the Army. I know I didn't want to be around water and the Marines belong to the department of the Navy. Which meant I could get stuck on a ship for 6 months...nope not for me. So, I joined the Army, picked Infantry and Airborne.

Great advice. I think you're the first to mention how many jobs take a heavy toll, both mentally and physically, and it was my experience where I saw many people burn out completely at about the 14 year mark. At that point many are ready to get out of the sandbox and be "promoted" to planner, etc desk jobs, in air conditioned offices, if you've done a great job. I've seen folks get out after 12 or 14 years, with only six left for a permanent retirement check. They just couldn't get up and face the day anymore. The day I retired, I felt the whole world was lifted off of my shoulders.

The military also produces more divorces, mental breakdowns, alcohol, drug abuse, and other "dark side of life issues" than nearly any other career.
I'm just expanding a bit on Army203's comments about being a young mans game, and the toll it takes on you.

Earlier I posted that I wouldn't consider it a life long career until I had 3 years or so, in. You mentioned after that fact that you were going in for the long term. Until you realize what you got yourself into, you really don't know what you're going to do. I saw many, many, excellent and promising young men, who could have had great success, but they just burned out and got out after their first term to pursue other things. Nothing wrong there. Better to burn out than crash and burn, the next stage of trying to endure burn out.

Good luck to you no matter what you may choose.

FT[:D]

gatordev
23 January 2016, 04:55

First up, have you taken the ASVAB? That's going to determine what the military will want to offer you (mentioned above). Next up will be your MEPS/DODMERB physical. That will determine if you're fit for duty. And if you're determined not to be, you still have a process to appeal for certain conditions.

This is true for all of the services and not just the Army. You just need to make sure what the recruiter is telling you matches the document you're signing. It's not uncommon for the recruiter to say one thing but sign you up for something else.

Thompson
23 January 2016, 08:32
Next up will be your MEPS/DODMERB physical. That will determine if you're fit for duty.
I'm not sure about how it works on the enlisted side, but at least for ROTC/USMA - you can try to get a waiver (no guarantees of course ... have no idea how it'd work, if it'd work for something like asthma) for the DODMERB stuff.

jbjh
23 January 2016, 10:11
Not trying to talk OP out of joining, but I will say that a lot of people mistake their job for their life. If you have a job that's your life's passion, that is awesome. But as long as your job isn't a soul-crushing, life-wasting ulcer-maker, allows you to make 3x the cost of housing, save for the future and do a bit of traveling, then you have a job to have a great life. You don't want to look back and only have great "job stories" to tell.

And as an aside, you mentioned not cottoning to water; you realize that the Marines are by very definition, naval infantry? Whose raison d'être is traveling by ship and being deployed for amphibious assault? I see a lot of water involved there.

DutyUse
23 January 2016, 10:50

Man if you've got two years of college under your belt, why not go for an associate degree? I'm in a very competitive job field and am so grateful to have my Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice to distinguish me above my peers. Everyone successful has motivation and determination, but I've found in many instances it's not enough.

DeviantLogic
23 January 2016, 11:10
Screw money...do whatever makes you happy. If people try and talk you out of something, tell them to go to hell.

From my personal experiences...I graduated from college with 2 degrees and had a good job coming out of school that I didn't hate, but didn't like very much either. The best thing I ever did was take a step back and think about what I really like doing...ditch the job that I had and take a lower salary for a job that had nothing to do with what I went to school for. Being able to go to work every day and enjoy what I do is so much more valuable than any paycheck I could have been getting. I've been able to excel in my career, in large part because I'm truly interested in what I do. After a couple years, the money eventually caught up with the career choice as well.

I will say that I wouldn't have been able to get to my position though if I hadn't graduated college though...even if you're king sh*t, many companies require a Bachelors degree to get past HR.

gatordev
23 January 2016, 12:53
And as an aside, you mentioned not cottoning to water; you realize that the Marines are by very definition, naval infantry? Whose raison d'être is traveling by ship and being deployed for amphibious assault? I see a lot of water involved there.

AWESOME point. The world we fight in today won't be the world we fight in 10 years from now (or at least, not necessarily). The Marines have been spending a lot of time on land the last 14+ years, but that can change quickly.

BTW, worst food I've eaten in the Navy: A LSD full of Marines off of Haiti. Though that's certainly not the Marines' fault.

Former11B
23 January 2016, 16:00

FT

With the Marines, A LOT of first term enlisted don't make it to a second contract: see "Terminal Lance". To me, the military is about doing things you CANT do in the civilian world, law enforcement included. I was an enlisted infantryman during my service (and I had childhood asthma....don't say shit to the recruiter if you know it's not and hasn't been an issue in years. Only you can know if you're willing to accept the consequences of that, though). Again: do what you want in the military, don't settle for some desk job. You may not get a second chance at it. I got out of the Army after 10 years as an E-6...and now I have the desk job and a Masters Degree. But before this, I was door kicking and head busting and I wouldn't trade that for any "marketable" skill.

The Marines have a low promotion rate, high turnover rate and you're a little older than their ideal 17/18 fresh from high school recruit. Check with an Army recruiter about an 11X infantry/airborne or option 40 (Ranger) contract

voodoo_man
23 January 2016, 16:19
What is your goal in life?

What is your passion?

Where do you want to see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

tact
23 January 2016, 18:31
Low promotion and high turnover.....not exactly logical.

urhero
23 January 2016, 18:52
+1

Promotions in the Army are going to run a lot better. I knew countless guys who got out of the Marines and came to the Army and were glad they made the switch.

Just go 18X and be done with it [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tact
23 January 2016, 19:00
+1

Promotions in the Army are going to run a lot better. I knew countless guys who got out of the Marines and came to the Army and were glad they made the switch.

Just go 18X and be done with it [emoji57]

By logical, I meant it doesn't compute. Yes the Army always uses that as a selling point. I guess if a person wants to be a slug and expect to be given regular promotions they would comparatively be slower. However, if one applies oneself, remains competitive, and stands out you can promote fairly quickly.

Former11B
23 January 2016, 19:31

In the Marine infantry lower ranks, E-1 to E-3, it's almost a way of life. For the trigger pullers, assaultmen, and other infantry types have extremy high cutting scores (promotion points needed) and saying they're simply not working hard enough is a disservice to them. Not enough slots for all the Senior lance corporals who would other wise be eligible. Rear echelon pukes are getting promoted because they don't have the forward mobility issues their infantry brethren face. So, after remaining in 4 years, maxing out their Lance Corporal and no hope for reenlistment, they get out as "terminal" Lance corporals. So high turnover and low promotion may sound strange, it's a way of life

urhero
23 January 2016, 19:36
By logical, I meant it doesn't compute. Yes the Army always uses that as a selling point. I guess if a person wants to be a slug and expect to be given regular promotions they would comparatively be slower. However, if one applies oneself, remains competitive, and stands out you can promote fairly quickly.
I think that's going to hold true across the branches. You can't just sit back and wait for it to come just because you put your time in. Of course I don't have first hand experience with the Marines but from what I've gathered from talking to those who do, all things being equal there seems to be more opportunity to promote in the Army. Maybe that's partly a function of size (Larger branch equals more available slots) Maybe not.

Realistically, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I occasionally wonder if I should have gone to the Marines but, the Army treated me well and I ended up with a lot of good opportunities.

Army203
23 January 2016, 20:17
I think my last bit of advice will be this, don't become a 19K or 19D if you join the Army, or I will fucking hate you for life.[BD]

Former11B
23 January 2016, 20:35
I think my last bit of advice will be this, don't become a 19K or 19D if you join the Army, or I will fucking hate you for life.[BD]

Oh I never got tired of hearing a Cav Scout or an Engineer say "well, we're pretty much infantry because we do what they do, and then some." Actually, yeah I got pretty dang sick of it. The only scout I could tolerate went through Drill Sergeant School with my and was Ranger qualified. He didn't run his suck about scouts.

FortTom
23 January 2016, 22:45
Get this. i'm not trying to insult any of my "brothers" in the mil. Here are some hard truths. You want a career in the Marines, or whatever. Flush out your head gear. When Uncle Sam puts a rifle in your hand, and tells you to kill can you do it? Do you want to do it? You know what FNG? That guy that US tells you to kill, may not have a hard feeling for you. He may want to be in any way shape or form, a conscript who doesn't got a damned hard feeling for you. He just want's to go home and see his 2 year old daughter, and son. Sorry dude, but you have to kill him. He's the enemy. Doesn't matter what branch of the service you choose. Your brothers are going to dump ammo on his ass, and kill him. Are you up for that?

You get a job with the Sheriffis dept. You're out in the middle of nowhere. You pull over a Mercedes with tinted windows. You're 20 miles from your backup. Can you approach that car, wondering if the driver is going to say "hello Sir", or he and his cocaine buddy's are going to blow your ass away. Sorry about your kids, your family and your life. See ya' later. Cops have to deal with that shit every day of their lives.

Oh, just a regular day? Nice, 78 degrees outside. To bad that a routine exercise that you've done a dozen or more times, goes wrong. Your buddy, who you and your wife or girlfriend hang out with everyday, well you get to tell her and her kids, that daddy died today. sorry.

My point is that military people die. That's what we do. I lucked out. I'm still alive.

Are you ready for that much "I want to go out every day and get a new adventure"? Bullshit. Watching your friends die, or getting yourself killed is not an adventure. It's bullshit. Every man on this forum that has lost a bro, will tell you not to sit and dream about war, and war skills. You or one of your buds will certainly die.

If you have to ask if you need to join the Marines, Army, Air Force or Coast Guard, and haven't considered the fact that you might not live past a training exercise, much less a battle, flush out your head gear.

Get a job in the civilian sector, unless you're willing to do all of the aforementioned.

I'm not trying to insult you, or nudge you towards or against a job in the military or LEO field. But it's not a really glorious way to live.

Do you feel like going to a wreck at 0200hrs. and try to identify the remains of a teenager who was texting and hit a tree? Can you be the one to try to scoop the remains out of the car? Can you be the one, because your county can't afford a Chaplin, to wake the parents up, and tell them their kid's bodies are pretty much gelatin?.

I'm not trying to guide you into any field. I'm just warning you that it's not all glamorous. Someone, earlier mentioned that many young Marines didn't get a chance to re-enlist. They got killed. Are you sure you want a chance to get killed? Why not have a friend shoot a few live rounds over your head, so you can hear the distinct zip sound it makes. Then consider joining the Marines, Army, Air Force or Coast Guard. Put that TV bullshit out of your head. Visit a VA center and look at the kids with one, tow or three limbs missing, then go see the recruiter.

For those of you who are active duty, I'm not trying to talk this man out of joining one service or another. I'm trying to, whether he realizes it or not, that it's not just a career, it's a hellish life, and not to think of it as a "glorious" way to live.

I did 20. I regret many things in my life. Much of it had to do with "the guy who had nothing to hate about me". My job was just simply to kill him. Period. Or, him, me. Dude, do what you want that?. My suggestion is to sit on your ass and adjust insurance. You'll make way more much money, and not have to live like every day is "combat" day, like a cop. If after sitting on your ass, you decide you want to deal with all of the bullshit that comes with combat (especially if you're an Army or Marine Infantry man) then go for it. It's not a career, it's a way of life. Are you really willing to do what it takes? Can you sort through bodies after you called in an A--10 and see nothing but skulls, brains and eyeballs, an burned up bodies?

Kids don't get all of that education at the recruiting depot.;) It also isn't pretty, glamourous, or heroic. It's just the way shit goes.

I wish you the best, I truly do. But life in the "war" is for real. It's no TV bullshit.

I've had one long time member here call me mean, an asshole, and bitter. We'll I love puppies, tit's and beer. I'm not mean. If I were, I wouldn't give a shit what happens to you. But I do.. again, choose wisely.

Later,
FT

Army203
23 January 2016, 23:10
100% Truth.^

FortTom
23 January 2016, 23:17
100% Truth.^
Army203 just told you volumes more than I did, without saying a word. "Listen" to him.

FT...

tact
24 January 2016, 02:36
Not getting into branch wars, but will also offer up that there are Federal LEO jobs out there.....and some are even considered paramilitary with opportunities to try out for selection into the tactical units.

I was offered something similar from my father.....best decision I made was to go my path. I'd rather die living.

Former11B
24 January 2016, 09:11
Like FortTom said, your service may cost you. And I don't just mean years and holidays away from home and loved ones. I did my job and I loved it, but I also got hurt. It could have been much worse, as some of my friends in Iraq experienced disfiguring burns, amputations, and beyond. One is wheel chair bound and shits in a bag because he caught a low round that missed his plate and smashed up his guts and spine. I got "lucky" with moderate vertebral damage, concussion/TBI, and hearing loss. I've got enough surgical equipment inside the cost of which could've bought a $250k house. I'm stuck on pain meds because there's no medical intervention possible. Would I do it over again? Yes, certainly. But I didn't do 10 and "get out", my commitment is now life long.

You just gotta be OK with that.

urhero
24 January 2016, 13:14
Just decide if you're willing to take the level of risk involved and make a decision either way. Which ever way you go then live with that decision. Everyone has different experiences. Some love it, some hate it.

Choose your own path and be man enough to live with the decisions you make

Farva
25 January 2016, 09:53
l and I was released 2 hours later. I haven't had any symptoms in 6 years and haven't taken any medication in a little over 5 years.

As an alternative to the military, law enforcement would be my second choice. I live about 30 minutes outside of Houston so I would probably begin my career with Houston PD. They require 48 credit hours of college and I think I have about 45 so I'll probably go ahead and sign up for an upcoming Feb.-May online course. To the LEO reading this, what are the typical work hours? How far can your career go without a college degree? What are the pros/cons of big departments such as HPD vs. small-town departments? And lastly, are you satisfied wth your career choice? Do you ever wish you would've gone another route which entailed a higher salary, or are you contempt with your choice? I know money isn't everything, but it's part of it. However, I feel like I'd much rather do something I love for lower pay, than be miserable and make better money.

I'll Make a few comments on the LEO side of this question.

First of all know there are a lot of guys here with more time on the job than me. I'm a Corporal with a small Sheriff Department and I have only 3 years experience, which I'm sure most guys will read and have a chuckle to themselves that I feel like I'm even remotely qualified to speak to you about this subject. Also my experiences will vary since my 3 years of service have been spent inside a county jail.

I was much like you, had a good job that paid well but felt unfulfilled in what you were doing. I too had the call to the military/ LEO world and I could no longer ignore that call and continue to sit at a desk and waste my life away. I took nearly a 15k dollar pay cut to get started in law enforcement. I still say it's the best decision I ever made and I would do it again and again in a heart beat.

All the above being said its by no means been easy. As I said before I'm only 3 years in, but it's been a long, exhausting, hard 3 years. It's felt like so many more years have pasted. It will defiantly take its toll on you, mentally and physically and it also takes a toll on your family. I will be the first to tell you I'm not the same person I was before I got into law enforcement. Some changes have been for the better and some for the worst. That particular aspect has been especially hard on my wife as I'm no longer the same man she married many years ago. But I have a good support network with family and friends.

As far as the "normal work hours" question, anyone will tell you there's no such thing in law enforcement. You work until your work is done, which its pretty much never done. Some agencies work 8 hours some 9's, 10's or 12's. Regardless of how long your tour of duty is supposed to last, often you'll be working overtime, pulling shift coverage, sitting on crime scenes for hours and hours upon more hours, staying late to wright reports, sit at the hospital for whatever reason etc etc. the reasons are endless.

On the size of a department you want to work for that's up to you. There's pros and cons to both large and small. Large departments have the potential for a lot of opportunity albeit room to promote, special programs like K9, SWAT, ERT, gang units, narco teams, air patrols etc. also it give you a chance to move around depending on the area that agency covers if say there's a guy or maybe a supervisor that you just can't get along with and never will and being around them makes your life and job miserable. But you also have the chance of much more politics involved in the job and never knowing all the people your working with. Smaller agencies won't have as much opportunity for advancement and possibly not as much extra programs. But you'll know the people you work with very well. This could also lead to even worse political issues with the "good ole boy" system. If your not friends with the right people then your stuck in the water and you won't be able to get away from someone who makes you hate life.

As it's been said before a cops life is dangerous so know exactly what your getting into because a bad day at work could be your last day ever. You need to know if you, as it was said above, can see the kind of horrific things you'll encounter in this world. Know if you can tell kids' parents the things mentioned above. Can you handle seeing the scene of someone who has committed suicide? Or run into a room and save the life of someone who just cut both their wrists all the way to the tendons, dumping blood everywhere. Being in a jail my experiences are limited but they've by no means been easy. Being on constant high alert all day every day so you don't get stabbed or your throat cut. Hell we found a pipe bomb outside the facility just last week. It's a constant fight for survival.

BUT don't just look at the bad things this career as to offer. If you only focus on the bad things and evil of the world your going to encounter it will DESTROY you. Be aware of them and prepared to deal with it, yes, but don't dwell. There is a lot of good things you get to do with this career. The people you help, the people you'll meet. I will say I absolutely love the people I work with and in my opinion you'll meet no greater people than the ones in this profession that are in it for the right reasons.

Best decision I've ever made. But you have to make your own.

UWone77
25 January 2016, 14:52
I have a ton of thoughts on your post, but I guess I'll dish it out a little at a time. Being a LEO is an honorable profession. For the most part, at least where I am, it pays well, the benefits are great, and the retirement is decent. This job is truly a calling, not something you can just decide to do one day (not saying that's how you got to this point) Much like what the military guys are saying, don't let Hollywood, and recruiters pump up the job to unrealistic expectations. The job has long period of boredom, lots of paperwork, little supervision and direction, mundane tasks, and some times it's down right shitty. My biggest advice is to be a LEO you have to be MENTALLY TOUGH. Not just "yeah I can handle that" You will be tested, stressed, and pushed to the edge. If you don't have the mental toughness to get through what you're exposed to, it's going to be a short career.

If you watch videos like this and still have the desire to be part of the Blue Line, then more power to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2-NEo3NVU

Josh S.
27 January 2016, 00:11
As of this point, I'm not ruling out the Army one bit. Y'all raised an excellent point of the Marines primarily being a land based force in recent years, but that that could change at any moment. It's very likely that the Army may be a better choice for me but I will be doing as much research as I can, as well as talking with friends in the Army and Marines before deciding.

If I go the law enforcement route I will most likely begin my career with HPD or possibly one of the larger suburbs of Houston. This brings me to another question: Would y'all go with a city or a county police department? I'm curious what the pros/cons would be of going with Harris County vs. HPD, or if they would be pretty similar for the most part. I think a small-town department would be a good fit for me down the road but I would probably gain experience with a larger department first. I'm pretty sure the two small departments I have in mind require prior experience anyways.

This decision has been a long time coming, and like UW said, I feel it's my calling in life. I honestly would consider myself to be mentally tough. Am I tough enough to endure a career as a LEO? I would like to say that I am, but the truth is I don't think anyone knows that for sure until they have done it.

Stickman
27 January 2016, 19:30
Would y'all go with a city or a county police department?

I would certainly go the route of the city cop. Why? The pay is better, and you will see how poorly you are treated and screwed by your admin in a quicker amount of time. All this means less time as a rookie, more time as a real cop who hates his administration, the public, and most people you meet.

Farva
27 January 2016, 20:43
I would certainly go the route of the city cop. Why? The pay is better, and you will see how poorly you are treated and screwed by your admin in a quicker amount of time. All this means less time as a rookie, more time as a real cop who hates his administration, the public, and most people you meet.

I'll echo this statement.

There are pros and cons to each.

Your county sheriffs office get paid less, have worse benefits and your life insurance policy is pretty much non existent with little to no retirement. BUT they get their authority from the Constitution.

City cops get paid better (depends on the agency of course) have more benefits, better retirement and life insurance policies. Also most are Union (FOP) or something similar. But their authority comes from things like city ordnances and such.

Former11B
28 January 2016, 08:21
As of this point, I'm not ruling out the Army one bit. Y'all raised an excellent point of the Marines primarily being a land based force in recent years, but that that could change at any moment. It's very likely that the Army may be a better choice for me but I will be doing as much research as I can, as well as talking with friends in the Army and Marines before deciding.

If I go the law enforcement route I will most likely begin my career with HPD or possibly one of the larger suburbs of Houston. This brings me to another question: Would y'all go with a city or a county police department? I'm curious what the pros/cons would be of going with Harris County vs. HPD, or if they would be pretty similar for the most part. I think a small-town department would be a good fit for me down the road but I would probably gain experience with a larger department first. I'm pretty sure the two small departments I have in mind require prior experience anyways.

This decision has been a long time coming, and like UW said, I feel it's my calling in life. I honestly would consider myself to be mentally tough. Am I tough enough to endure a career as a LEO? I would like to say that I am, but the truth is I don't think anyone knows that for sure until they have done it.

Your PMs are full. However, if you decide to go the military route, or need more information to decide (you can't learn enough before hand, IMO) and want to know about military, specifically Army life, drop me a line, or 203 & Boiler. I'm sure I can speak for them in this instance that we would be more than happy to discuss it with you

FortTom
28 January 2016, 22:00
I have a ton of thoughts on your post, but I guess I'll dish it out a little at a time. Being a LEO is an honorable profession. For the most part, at least where I am, it pays well, the benefits are great, and the retirement is decent. This job is truly a calling, not something you can just decide to do one day (not saying that's how you got to this point) Much like what the military guys are saying, don't let Hollywood, and recruiters pump up the job to unrealistic expectations. The job has long period of boredom, lots of paperwork, little supervision and direction, mundane tasks, and some times it's down right shitty. My biggest advice is to be a LEO you have to be MENTALLY TOUGH. Not just "yeah I can handle that" You will be tested, stressed, and pushed to the edge. If you don't have the mental toughness to get through what you're exposed to, it's going to be a short career.

If you watch videos like this and still have the desire to be part of the Blue Line, then more power to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2-NEo3NVU

Yep! That's about how I pictured it. 24/7 everyday of your entire career, something like this can happen.
FT

UWone77
3 February 2016, 14:12
A buddy that's prior service wanted me to pass this along. Maybe you guys can confirm or deny. :)

tact
3 February 2016, 14:50
......correct.

FortTom
5 February 2016, 17:11
The basic part is pretty much true, and it all goes down hill from there....for me, it took 20 years to figure that out...[:D]

Former11B
8 February 2016, 06:30
"When you get back from deployment and find out you're getting sent to TRADOC....."

UWone77
2 April 2016, 12:15
I thought of this thread while I was on a call today. Mentally ill woman that was starting fights and yelling/screaming at random people. When I rolled up, she had her pants off. Then proceeded to find a box and take a very large #2 in the box.

I immediately thought, fuck this shit. I didn't sign up for this crap.

Literally shit and crap.

Joelski
2 April 2016, 13:25
I thought of this thread while I was on a call today. Mentally ill woman that was starting fights and yelling/screaming at random people. When I rolled up, she had her pants off. Then proceeded to find a box and take a very large #2 in the box.

I immediately thought, fuck this shit. I didn't sign up for this crap.

Literally shit and crap.

And NO, EMS will NOT transport your poopy mental for you. Hose the seats out like everybody else.

Put a roll of each in your trunk bag.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61aPqLVxELL._SY355_.jpg