PDA

View Full Version : anyone store their stuff in a safe in an unheated garage?

n4p226r
23 January 2016, 12:10
moved to new house. got a new safe. only place to put it is in an unheated garage.

current inside safe temp is about 30 degrees

1. anyone see any issue with this?
2. anyone have any suggestions on what cleaner/lube to use? (i currently use fireclean but heard its a lube, not a protectant)

tappedandtagged
23 January 2016, 12:30
My dad has kept his safe in his unheated shop for 5 years with no detriment. He has a couple silica packs (don't think he has ever changed them) and a Golden Rod for humidity control. The oil he uses is a mix of 3 in 1 oil, Rem Oil, Ed's Red and whatever else he has on hand. ETA: The safe is a Cannon Fat Boy fire rated safe.

alamo5000
23 January 2016, 12:35
Is it a wet environment? Dry? Humid? I think humidity will matter more than just temperature alone. I think you would be wise to use a plug in dehumidifier and some desiccant. Seasonal changes and stuff like that will matter too. How hot does it get in summer?

As for which lube to use it honestly depends on how much you shoot and what you like/prefer. Others have their own opinions but mine is really you can use almost whatever you like but just make sure you keep the guns lubed. With almost anything if you let it sit for months on end with no use it won't be ideal. Some oil type stuff will dry out and become tacky. Stuff like seal 1 and froglube will also have issues if you put it on and just let it sit for ages on end.

DeviantLogic
23 January 2016, 12:44
I don't think temperature is going to be as much of a problem as humidity. Using a few of the silica packs and keeping everything oiled you should be okay. I'm not really a fan of keeping all my guns in the garage since I feel it's less secure than keeping in the house. Having the safe bolted to the concrete would be a minimum requirement if I kept a safe in the garage.

Cleaner/lube is kind of a personal choice. I use CLP as a general purpose protectant.

Hmac
23 January 2016, 13:33
Temperature isn't the problem, it's the temperature change. When the temp in the safe rises to the dew point, you'll get some degree of condensation, which will equal rust (and possibly mold) even in small amounts. So in the dead of winter, likely no problem. In the spring, when air temps are going up and down (daytime/nighttime) ...condensation will occur. Two solutions....one is a calcium chloride granule like DampRid or something to absorb moisture, the other is some degree of heat...just enough to keep the temp above the dew point. Doesn't have to be much in a small safe like that...a 30-40 watt (incandescent) light bulb or aquarium heater would be plenty.

Mecha_Arms
24 January 2016, 00:29
You might want to consider the Peet Safe Dryer.

Hmac
24 January 2016, 09:07
You might want to consider the Peet Safe Dryer.

Excellent. I've used the Goldenrod (http://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725731-GoldenRod-Original-Dehumidifier/dp/B00CYBDFWI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453655151&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=goldfenrod) units too, which are a little more space efficient. The 50 watt unit is plenty to keep the inside of a safe above the dew point. I have a pair of the 18 inch units since they were a little cheaper, for some reason, and my gun cabinets aren't insulated.

Bear in mind that these heaters won't really lower the humidity inside the safe, they will only keep the safe temperature above the dew point. The humidity isn't the problem...the problem of rust and mold occurs when that moisture in the air is allowed to condense. Then you get condensation or "dew" on the surfaces of your firearms. Usually it only takes a few degrees temp increase to prevent that.

The Goldenrods are just heaters. IIUC, the Peet dryer will actually aid in circulating the air. I don't know if that's a big deal in something as small as a gun safe, especially if the safe is insulated as most fireproof safes are. My gun cabinets are just sheet-metal Stack-Ons, so I need a little extra heat, even though they're small.

n4p226r
24 January 2016, 10:47
Thanks. I'll check out those products. I currently have a 24" golden rod and some dessicant. I also have the liberty safe alert system So I can track temp and humidity. I think I'll be good to go.

Former11B
24 January 2016, 13:20
moved to new house. got a new safe. only place to put it is in an unheated garage.

current inside safe temp is about 30 degrees

1. anyone see any issue with this?
2. anyone have any suggestions on what cleaner/lube to use? (i currently use fireclean but heard its a lube, not a protectant)

Mine is in an insulated but unheated/AC'd garage now. No rust issues, no problems, even in the humid SC summers. I have a big golden rod in the safe and it keeps everything in tip top shape. But I do clean my guns before putting them away

Naytwan
24 January 2016, 14:51
Years ago I kept mine in an unheated garage. I bought a couple large silica packs and I did not have any issues. I lived in Long Beach, CA at the time and the temp change was not that great.