PDA

View Full Version : CMP 1911 update...1K for rack grade

Army203
25 January 2016, 16:30
So, I am a 1911 "Fan-Boy" if you will. I just enjoy shooting them, maintaining them, and carrying them. Naturally, I was looking forward to getting a CMP 1911 when I found out that the US Army was going to be kicking a bunch loose. Just saw the update on the price for a rack grade model...1k [wow]

I mean for 1K and up ball park I could get a non beater 1911 or build a kickass Glock[crazy]

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/01/19/a-cmp-1911-update-from-cmp-chief-operating-officer-mark-johnson/

Thompson
25 January 2016, 16:42
Don't worry you aren't the only one with that reaction. I was gunning on rack grades to be around $500 range so I could pick up a couple to blast with.

I sit on the CMP forums; everyone is disgusted too ... At that price, I could get a half decent USGI 1911.

But hopefully that was just Mark's initial price assessment.

Side note/PSA: If anyone wants to pick up a Garand, do it within the next 12'ish months. The CMP has stated that, unless they can somehow acquire more rifles elsewhere (from other lend lease programs), they are slated to run out. Once they are gone; they are gone .... I don't want to contemplate the price of a typical Garand mixmaster once the supply is gone.

DutyUse
25 January 2016, 16:44
Don't worry you aren't the only one with that reaction. I was gunning on rack grades to be around $500 range so I could pick up a couple to blast with.

I sit on the CMP forums; everyone is disgusted too ... At that price, I could get a half decent USGI 1911.

But hopefully that was just Mark's initial assessment price assessment.

Side note/PSA: If anyone wants to pick up a Garand, do it within the next 12'ish months. The CMP has stated that, unless they can somehow acquire more rifles elsewhere (from other lend lease programs), they are slated to run out. Once they are gone; they are gone .... I don't want to contemplate the price of a typical Garand mixmaster once the supply is gone.

Thanks for posting Thompson. I've been meaning to get a CMP garand

Thompson
25 January 2016, 16:49
Thanks for posting Thompson. I've been meaning to get a CMP garand
Not a problem. More than happy to help a fellow WEVO member.

And for anyone interested in CMP Garands - the Service Grade rifles are currently the best bang for your buck. (Sorry, didn't mean to pull the thread off topic)

Army203
25 January 2016, 16:58
Not a problem. More than happy to help a fellow WEVO member.

And for anyone interested in CMP Garands - the Service Grade rifles are currently the best bang for your buck. (Sorry, didn't mean to pull the thread off topic)

No, that's fine. I have been thinking about getting an M1 in 308. Guess I better pull that trigger soon and thank you for the info.

Battle Cock
25 January 2016, 17:57
I wonder if the near universal lack of demand will encourage lower prices. There's no way I'd pay $1000 for a rack grade 1911.

Thompson
25 January 2016, 18:00
No, that's fine. I have been thinking about getting an M1 in 308. Guess I better pull that trigger soon and thank you for the info.
My pleasure.

Great choice for a shooter. New Criterion barrel and all.

I wonder if the near universal lack of demand will encourage lower prices. There's no way I'd pay $1000 for a rack grade 1911.
I don't know; you'd be surprised. Granted, the CMP typically does (eventually) get things priced at a fair price ... one of the exceptions of this rule is over at the North Store, all the rifle racks are pretty much bare .... except for the M1D racks. From what I've read, those shelves stay virtually untouched, due to the price.

But we'll see. When you get 3 idiots stupid enough to pay idiot prices ... It's like gun shows; prices wouldn't be that high, if NO one was willingly to pay it.

schambers
25 January 2016, 18:40
I've been waiting for the CMP 1911 pricing to solidify as well. $500 would be ideal for rack grade but I don't think $1000 is entirely unreasonable. Keep in mind that people buying these are probably buying them as historical pieces and not hard use guns. There are also probably a lot less 1911s in their inventory compared to the rifles.

The CMP is not exactly a charity organization and has to pay the bills somehow. If they can get $1000 for rack grade, then that's what they will charge.

Thompson
25 January 2016, 19:43
Keep in mind that people buying these are probably buying them as historical pieces and not hard use guns. There are also probably a lot less 1911s in their inventory compared to the rifles.

The CMP is not exactly a charity organization and has to pay the bills somehow.
But that's just it though - a rack grade is one that is pretty darn beat to shit already. (The grading, if it's paralleled to the Garands, goes like: Rack --> Field --> Service --> and then probably, something like a Service/Service Special) People who buy rack grades most likely intend to shoot it (myself included; there's just no way in hell I'm paying $1000 for a rack grade). Imagine paying $1400 for a Colt 6920 (a bit overexaggerated/loose comparison, but you get the point).

On hand, there's currently zero 1911's in the CMP's possession. Depending on when they are released, the CMP (according to the legislation in the new NDAA) up to 10k can be transferred per year. So for now it may seem as if there are more Garands in inventory. But keep in mind, supposedly the Army has 100k 1911's sitting in storage (literally just down the road from the CMP North Store) ... and back when Orest (former President of the CMP) was around, he said that apparently the Navy also had 1911's ... to the tune of 300k.

The CMP isn't exaxctly a charity organization like you said, but some folks on the forum said that the CMP is sitting on $250 million - free and clear.

The CMP for sure can get $1000 for a rack grade; the only people who would then actually buy it, will be people dumb enough to pay such a stupid price or those who are more fortunate than most and have a decent degree of disposable income.

mustangfreek
27 January 2016, 03:50
Damn 1000 bones....

I also was intrigued by these pistols and also have a thing for 1911's, but that's just too much