PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of a cheap gun?

gatordev
28 January 2016, 17:49
I've got a "sporting goods" grade Stevens 20 gauge pump that I inherited from my grandfather years ago. Other than going out and shooting some clays with some buddies, it hasn't been shot. I'd guess less than 100 rounds. Even if I were to have it cut down, I just can't find a good reason to keep it around. There are far better options for home defense (no light, lack of useful sights, better rounds from an AR, etc) and if I got rid of it, it makes room for a Garand that's been languishing in a case in my closet. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I haven't swapped them out already, but I digress...

So, what's the best way to get rid of this? I hate to take it to the police, and I'm not sure if a pawn shop would even be interested, but I've never dealt with a pawn shop, so my knowledge is limited there. I think the closest I've found on Gunbroker probably values it at $150, but I don't know I could get that for it, let alone someone who is interested. Any thoughts?

UWone77
28 January 2016, 17:51
I've got a "sporting goods" grade Stevens 20 gauge pump that I inherited from my grandfather years ago. Other than going out and shooting some clays with some buddies, it hasn't been shot. I'd guess less than 100 rounds. Even if I were to have it cut down, I just can't find a good reason to keep it around. There are far better options for home defense (no light, lack of useful sights, better rounds from an AR, etc) and if I got rid of it, it makes room for a Garand that's been languishing in a case in my closet. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I haven't swapped them out already, but I digress...

So, what's the best way to get rid of this? I hate to take it to the police, and I'm not sure if a pawn shop would even be interested, but I've never dealt with a pawn shop, so my knowledge is limited there. I think the closest I've found on Gunbroker probably values it at $150, but I don't know I could get that for it, let alone someone who is interested. Any thoughts?

Sounds like giveaway time!

Battle Cock
28 January 2016, 18:53
You know anybody who wants to give their kid a gun but can't afford it? If I was you I'd go looking for someone like that.

mustangfreek
28 January 2016, 20:47
Both good ideas

SINNER
29 January 2016, 02:42
Gun buy backs in Nazi states like Maryland are always nice to unload low value guns.

tappedandtagged
29 January 2016, 03:01
I could never imagine getting rid of a firearm owned by my deceased grandfather.

Tyrannosaur
29 January 2016, 04:35
Alright alright I'll take it if I have to...

schambers
29 January 2016, 05:35
Maybe donate it to a local range or trap/skeet place?

DutchTerror
29 January 2016, 07:57
Other great ideas, but how about a wall hanger?

Joelski
29 January 2016, 08:06
Perfect man cave decor!

Battle Cock
29 January 2016, 08:17
Perfect man cave decor!

An old ranch boss of mine had a bunch of old sawed offs hanging up at his ranch with the receivers completely cut out and welded in with chunks of metal on the wall side. I believe the barrels had pins through them too.
Not sure if the ATF would still freak out about them since they were at one time firearms, but if you can sort of demil it and do something similar, you could build a fake, none firing SBS replica out of it for a wall mount. I'm just not clear on what it would take to destroy the firearm classification so you could legally cut it down as a replica.

Former11B
29 January 2016, 12:32
I'm thinking "Demolition Ranch" style testing until failure + video footage

Battle Cock
29 January 2016, 14:12
I'm thinking "Demolition Ranch" style testing until failure + video footage

Or IV8888 style where you grab 1000 rounds of ammo and shoot nonstop until it fails. [:D] But with a pump action I can pretty much bet the human attempting the test would fail before the gun.

gatordev
29 January 2016, 16:11
Sounds like giveaway time!

Hmm, interesting idea...

Gun buy backs in Nazi states like Maryland are always nice to unload low value guns.

I'm not sure those are a "thing" in the south. Well, maybe South Miami.

I could never imagine getting rid of a firearm owned by my deceased grandfather.

I've actually thought of that. This particular shot gun was a replacement for another that was stolen out of his house years ago. He just went down to the local Big 5 or Turners and bought something cheap. I don't think he ever fired it. I'm not even sure how he thought it would be useful, since it was locked up in another room. But whatever.

What I also inherited from him is a 19th century double-barrel shotgun that used to hang on the wall of the bar in a small Montana town. That shotgun would come down every so often and help keep the piece during the turn of the century. I still have relatives that live in that town. Now THAT gun isn't going anywhere.

You guys have given me a couple of ideas to think about. Thanks.