PDA

View Full Version : Flash or Brake

cjd3
28 January 2016, 18:32
This years build is my high highly anticipated 300blk SBR. For the barrel, my current plan is to install a BA Hanson 8.3. I also have an Omega that's sitting all lonely in a strangers house, that includes an ASR brake. Since I regs tired the can, I just got my pouch and flash hider. So the question is, will the brake be effective on this rifle? I plan on shooting mostly subs.
Thanks guys.

schambers
9 February 2016, 18:41
I've switched to flash hiders for almost all of my weapons at this point. I hate being next to people with brakes and I don't want to be "that guy." If I use a brake it has a suppressor going over it before I shoot.

FWIW, I used a flash hider on a 10.5" 300blk build and I found it to be very manageable, to the point that I don't know if a brake would make any significant difference.

voodoo_man
9 February 2016, 18:46
Never a brake.

Ever.

alamo5000
9 February 2016, 18:58
I can't tell if you mean you are going to shoot suppressed most of the time or not. It is also worth noting that if you shoot subs even not suppressed it will be quieter than the alternative.

Suppressed the flash hider vs brakes it won't make any difference. None.

cjd3
9 February 2016, 19:52
Thanks for the insight. Looks like I'll go fish hider, for when the can is on another rifle, is too hot, and i can't swap it to the other. Naturally, when the can comes in, I'm going to put it on almost every host that can hold it (threading my bolt guns is going to cost), I may even tape it to my exhaust to make my car quieter and more tactical.

alamo5000
9 February 2016, 20:03
I am just saying that once you start shooting with the suppressor you won't want to go back. As for it getting too hot you will be able to shoot quite a bit before that happens. With full power .223/5.56 ammo I can do about 3 full mag dumps before my suppressor gets to about 900 degrees. It will operate between 900 and 1500 degrees...but anything over 900 and it starts to cause damage. Shooting subs though you should get at least 4 or 5 straight up 30 round mag dumps and maybe more before you get to the same spot on the temperature line...I don't know how many mag dumps you could do but it will be more than 3 easily.

UWone77
9 February 2016, 20:22
A brake is fine.

FortTom
9 February 2016, 21:55
I've switched to flash hiders for almost all of my weapons at this point. I hate being next to people with brakes and I don't want to be "that guy."

Ha..ha.. not to hijack the thread but since you brought it up.... Several of my rifles have brakes, including my LR-308. I always try to stay as far as possible from others at the club, because I don't want to be "that guy" either.

I was doing initial testing on the last rifle I built last summer. It was hot, the range was full, so I took the only table available. The rifle is a light weight 5.56 with a brake. When the range went hot, I was trying to get a mag down range as fast as I could, without driving the guy to my right insane. When I finished, I looked up, and the poor guy was sitting about 30 degrees back from straight up. I knew I rattled him, but what I didn't know was that the rifle was ejecting almost perfectly at 90 degrees, so I was blasting his brains out and pelting the hell out of him with hot brass. The guy had a heart of gold, and the more I apologized, the more he assured me it was o.k., which by the looks of him, it certainly wasn't.

I never did get to do any more testing to see why the brass was ejecting at a perfect 90, instead of further back. So I guess when it warms up, I'll have to go to the range and be "that guy" again. Yea for brakes![BD]

FT

SINNER
10 February 2016, 08:35
Run the brakes. They act as a blast baffle to a certain extent and prolong the life of the supressors.

DutyUse
10 February 2016, 12:14
Run the brakes. They act as a blast baffle to a certain extent and prolong the life of the supressors.

This. I've got an Omega in jail as well and I'm gearing up on SiCo mounts. My 300BLK SBR got a brake. I've got a few of their flash hiders for testing though.

mustangfreek
15 February 2016, 00:46
If your gonna silence, then all I've heard/read says that a brake is no better..

Wish I could quiet things down..damn epsilon is LOUD!! ...lol

voodoo_man
15 February 2016, 04:27
A brake is fine.

no its not.