PDA

View Full Version : SBR Engraving with Ident Marking

cjd3
30 January 2016, 13:11
I really can't say enough about how good these folks are. I ordered my engraving from them early in the month, and they had just switched to a new web order system. They only offered UPS shipping, which is astronomical for Alaska. On a whim, I asked if they did USPS shipping. Within a few hours, they turned on that option for me. After the order, they were prompt with email communication, and every professional. I got the lower back today, and it looks great. Naturally they told me they are swamped right now, so get in line.

Hmac
30 January 2016, 13:52
Lot's of places do such engraving well, but Ident has been where most of my engraving has been done for the last several years and I only live about 90 minutes from Orion Arms. I've never had anything fancy, just NFA stuff but they are always accurate and communicate well.

Jerry R
30 January 2016, 16:12
I sent them two lowers via USPS January 19th. UPS tracking says they will be delivered to me Monday. For being swamped, that is simply awesome turnaround. Spoke with them by phone, courteous, professional, and very helpful. I'll post pics Monday after delivery.

alamo5000
30 January 2016, 17:16
I guess I scored when I was doing mine. Jeff Cross offered to engrave my lower for free if I would send it to him [:D] I have nothing but good things to say about him and his business. That's for damn sure.

That said I googled and found a few local options that were relatively close. Then I compared some of the pics of their work that they had online and turns out what I thought was the best one was also the closest to me. I emailed the guy...and before long he basically said 'come on over'... I was at his house in less than half an hour on a Sunday night...got my engraving done and was back home in no time. I am very pleased with his work for sure. I wouldn't hesitate to send more people to him.

The only reason why I went that route instead of sending it to CMT was because it cost about the same as it would to ship my lower via UPS and I didn't have to hassle with packaging it, sending it etc and it was all done in just over an hour including the drive over and back.

UWone77
30 January 2016, 17:19
You guys see that article on Truth About Guns, I believe... stating you only legally have to engrave the gun if you plan to sell it or at the time of sale?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/do-you-need-to-engrave-your-form-1ed-sbr/

alamo5000
30 January 2016, 17:40
You guys see that article on Truth About Guns, I believe... stating you only legally have to engrave the gun if you plan to sell it or at the time of sale?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/do-you-need-to-engrave-your-form-1ed-sbr/

Nope. I only engraved mine because ya'll told me to [BD]

cjd3
30 January 2016, 17:56
Nope. I only engraved mine because ya'll told me to [BD]
Ditto. Better safe than sorry?

alamo5000
30 January 2016, 18:02
Ditto. Better safe than sorry?

I got mine done on the bottom of the trigger guard so it's not noticeable at all.

All I know is I didn't know jack squat before I got here and so far I have dropped at least 10 grand on gun stuff just since joining and more on the way... the gun industry should love WEVO.

UWone77
30 January 2016, 18:12
I'll still get mine engraved. I don't rely on internet articles for legal advice anyway. [BD]

Former11B
30 January 2016, 18:15

I think if people listen to Nick Leghorn on this one, they're in for a nice Federal treat

gatordev
30 January 2016, 18:18

It would be nice if he could provide some, or any, sort of documentation or citation for this. Saying, "hey I talked to the NFA and they said it's cool," doesn't make it reality.

That said, the explanation makes sense. Since I still have a couple more years until I know I don't need to reconfigure a rifle into a Title I weapon, I'll keep engraving for now.

alamo5000
30 January 2016, 18:20
I'll still get mine engraved. I don't rely on internet articles for legal advice anyway. [BD]

I only rely on the internet to talk me into buying stuff [:D]

Former11B
30 January 2016, 20:16
On the TTAG article, one of the disagreeing commenters, BigWaylon, is an ARFCOM moderator in the NFA/suppressor section of the site. Not sure if he's an attorney or what, but he does know a lot about Class III and is providing a lot of legal references regarding the proper course of action, whereas the author relies on instruction from a single conversation with one ATF employee. No word if they were NFA branch or what, just from the ATF, and it's apparently gospel truth

Slippers
30 January 2016, 20:38
On the TTAG article, one of the disagreeing commenters, BigWaylon, is an ARFCOM moderator in the NFA/suppressor section of the site. Not sure if he's an attorney or what, but he does know a lot about Class III and is providing a lot of legal references regarding the proper course of action, whereas the author relies on instruction from a single conversation with one ATF employee. No word if they were NFA branch or what, just from the ATF, and it's apparently gospel truth

To lend BigWaylon a bit more credibility, he's also active on m4c. I don't know the guy personally, but he does seem to know his way around class 3 stuff quite well. He also wrote a good guide for doing an eform 1, since that system is terrible: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147975-Visual-guide-How-to-fill-out-a-Form-1-using-EFORMS

Deadwing
30 January 2016, 22:23
This is why i engraved my Form 1 SBRs:

§ 479.102 How must firearms be
identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer,
or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify
the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping
(impressing), or otherwise conspicuously
placing or causing to be
engraved, cast, stamped (impressed)
or placed on the frame or receiver
thereof an individual serial number.
The serial number must be placed
in a manner not susceptible of being
readily obliterated, altered, or removed,
and must not duplicate any
serial number placed by you on any
other firearm. For firearms manufactured,
imported, or made on and after
January 30, 2002, the engraving,
casting, or stamping (impressing) of
the serial number must be to a minimum
depth of .003 inch and in a print
size no smaller than 1⁄16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping
placing or causing to be engraved,
cast, stamped (impressed), or
placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel
thereof certain additional information.
This information must be placed in a
manner not susceptible of being readily
obliterated, altered or removed. For
firearms manufactured, imported, or
made on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamping
(impressing) of this information must
be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation
has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized
abbreviation) and also, when applicable,
the name of the foreign
manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically
made firearm, the city and State
(or recognized abbreviation thereof)
where you as the manufacturer
maintain your place of business, or
where you, as the maker, made the
firearm.

ATF Publication 5300.4 (https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download)

John Moses
31 January 2016, 21:40
SBR lowers must be engraved. If it is not a factory SBR being transferred as such. The Truth about Guns needs to get their facts straight. That being said, I love IDENT, however my last SBR stamp came back in 28 days and my Engraving took 31 days.....LOL. Another good place is LEO in Tucson.

Farva
31 January 2016, 21:45
I'm lucky to have a LGS that does engraving. I also work with someone who engraved on jewelry and such

alamo5000
31 January 2016, 21:54
I'm lucky to have a LGS that does engraving. I also work with someone who engraved on jewelry and such

I was told that just anybody can't do engraving... that it had to be an licensed person...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/license-needed-engage-business-engraving-customizing-refinishing-or-repairing-firearms

"Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]"

UWone77
31 January 2016, 21:56
I was told that just anybody can't do engraving... that it had to be an licensed person...

Licensed in what?

Farva
31 January 2016, 21:56

That much I don't know. It's the first I've heard of it. I would imagine the gun shop that does it would have their ducks in a row. Either way, they're engraved [BD]

alamo5000
31 January 2016, 21:58
Licensed in what?

Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/license-needed-engage-business-engraving-customizing-refinishing-or-repairing-firearms

UWone77
31 January 2016, 22:04
Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]

LOL... I'm glad I've always had mine engraved by an FFL/SOT I know there are some rogue engravers out there, engraving NFA items in their garage with no FFL.

fledge
31 January 2016, 22:06
Licenses to receive a firearm, that is an FFL, not licensed to run an engraving machine.

A jeweler can do it if you are present because it is still in your possession.

alamo5000
31 January 2016, 22:09
LOL... I'm glad I've always had mine engraved by an FFL/SOT I know there are some rogue engravers out there, engraving NFA items in their garage with no FFL.

I went with a guy that was really close to me but he's on the level...He's got all the initials... FFL SOT yada yada...

This pic isn't of my engraving (it's one of the sample pics) but mine came out looking just like this...

http://www.nfainvestments.com/engraving2.jpg

alamo5000
31 January 2016, 22:11
Licenses to receive a firearm, that is an FFL, not licensed to run an engraving machine.

A jeweler can do it if you are present because it is still in your possession.

I don't know how they can enforce the engraving rule after the fact. Just saying. Maybe set up a sting operation or something?

gatordev
1 February 2016, 03:55
I don't know how they can enforce the engraving rule after the fact. Just saying. Maybe set up a sting operation or something?

Alamo, the "engraving license" is not a thing, it's a poorly worded Q&A. They mean the engraver has to be properly licensed to receive and take possession of a firearm, FFL.

tappedandtagged
1 February 2016, 04:59
Does Ident's price include return shipping?

Jerry R
1 February 2016, 11:35
Does Ident's price include return shipping?

No, shipping is added. My invoice was $55 each for the two engraving jobs, and $24.19 total for return shipping via UPS Ground Adult Signature Required. Turn around time for me was twelve days, and five, or six, of that was transport to and from. I think they did a nice job. It's a big photo, have to click it to see the engraving. I wish Rainier had their billet lower with no logo on the left side. Ident offers military emblem engraving. Would have had the Naval seal (not UDT) engraved.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/NFA%20Pictures/IMG_1166%20Trust%20Engraving%20Size%201538_zpst5bn 1y7r.jpg~original

Former11B
1 February 2016, 12:42
To lend BigWaylon a bit more credibility, he's also active on m4c. I don't know the guy personally, but he does seem to know his way around class 3 stuff quite well. He also wrote a good guide for doing an eform 1, since that system is terrible: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147975-Visual-guide-How-to-fill-out-a-Form-1-using-EFORMS

He's also active on an NC/SC gun forum I'm on and helped re-write a lot of the SBR/Form 1 stickies/FAQs we had that were outdated. I would definitely take his word over the author of the article.

Tar Heel State Firearms in North Carolina (Charlotte) also does excellent firearm/SBR engraving, from customized logos to SBR/Suppressor engravings. I want to get my OIF commemorative lower engraved on the right side of the magazine well with my Combat Infantryman's Badge and maybe tour dates in OIF

Dave Timm
14 February 2016, 08:32
No, shipping is added. My invoice was $55 each for the two engraving jobs, and $24.19 total for return shipping via UPS Ground Adult Signature Required. Turn around time for me was twelve days, and five, or six, of that was transport to and from. I think they did a nice job. It's a big photo, have to click it to see the engraving. I wish Rainier had their billet lower with no logo on the left side. Ident offers military emblem engraving. Would have had the Naval seal (not UDT) engraved.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/NFA%20Pictures/IMG_1166%20Trust%20Engraving%20Size%201538_zpst5bn 1y7r.jpg~original

I really like RA lowers too but also wish they offered a non logo option. I think they have a cool logo and no doubt want to brand their products but I think a lot of guys like the clean option. Perfect example is San Tan offering clean options and I think they sell very well for them.

titanse05
14 February 2016, 09:00
I really like RA lowers too but also wish they offered a non logo option. I think they have a cool logo and no doubt want to brand their products but I think a lot of guys like the clean option. Perfect example is San Tan offering clean options and I think they sell very well for them.That is the way RA lowers used to be. Now they have to have logos on every face. Not my cup of tea.

Treat yourself to a CMT SSA lower. No logos.

n4p226r
25 February 2016, 15:23
Treat yourself to a CMT SSA lower. No logos.

i wish they offered a non-ambi forged version like that

Sak007
25 February 2016, 18:39
I really like RA lowers too but also wish they offered a non logo option. I think they have a cool logo and no doubt want to brand their products but I think a lot of guys like the clean option. Perfect example is San Tan offering clean options and I think they sell very well for them.I don't like the Rainier logo it should look more like it normally does .

usmcvet
29 February 2016, 06:08
Thanks for the info.
This is why i engraved my Form 1 SBRs:

§ 479.102 How must firearms be
identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer,
or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify
the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping
placing or causing to be
engraved, cast, stamped (impressed)
or placed on the frame or receiver
thereof an individual serial number.
The serial number must be placed
in a manner not susceptible of being
readily obliterated, altered, or removed,
and must not duplicate any
serial number placed by you on any
other firearm. For firearms manufactured,
imported, or made on and after
January 30, 2002, the engraving,
casting, or stamping (impressing) of
the serial number must be to a minimum
depth of .003 inch and in a print
size no smaller than 1⁄16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping
placing or causing to be engraved,
cast, stamped (impressed), or
placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel
thereof certain additional information.
This information must be placed in a
manner not susceptible of being readily
obliterated, altered or removed. For
firearms manufactured, imported, or
made on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamping
(impressing) of this information must
be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation
has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized
abbreviation) and also, when applicable,
the name of the foreign
manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically
made firearm, the city and State
(or recognized abbreviation thereof)
where you as the manufacturer
maintain your place of business, or
where you, as the maker, made the
firearm.

ATF Publication 5300.4 (https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download)

usmcvet
29 February 2016, 06:11
You can engrave it with a hand held electric pencil if you want. You just need to meet the requirements. There is no license required to mark the lower. You can also mark the barrel if you prefer

"Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]"