PDA

View Full Version : My First Piston Build

rxer311
2 February 2016, 15:10
I finally decided to try a piston build. After a lot of thought and going back and forth I finally decided on a Superlative Arms piston kit around a Lanco Tactical receiver set. I also decided on a RA/Fortis Switch rail for ease of piston cleaning. Barrel is a Voodoo 14.5" middy with pinned manimal flash hider. The piston block barely fit under the rail...but it fit.

Up to this point it has only been test fired at the wide open position. Looking forward to a range trip.

One question...would you even bother putting BUS on a rifle with a switch rail...seems your return to zero would be garbage.

Here is the kit I used.
http://suparms.com/collections/retrofit-piston-kits/products/750-adjustable-piston-system-mid-length-clamp-on-melonited-low-pro-ar15

Jerry R
2 February 2016, 15:40
Nice looking build. Interested in hearing your first range report. What is it about the switch rail that makes you feel backup sights would not be useful? I would think lockup would be similar enough to be reasonably close. Verify next range trip. I'm a little reluctant to run any optic without a backup set of irons. But that's just me.

Eric
2 February 2016, 16:17
If it's just a paper puncher BUIS are optional, but mandatory on a defensive carbine. Any front to back movement on the rail with the RDS?

UWone77
2 February 2016, 16:22
Just curious, did you end up using a roller cam pin?

rxer311
2 February 2016, 17:00
If it's just a paper puncher BUIS are optional, but mandatory on a defensive carbine. Any front to back movement on the rail with the RDS?

No...but I did have that issue on an Anderson upper that I had. Every other upper I had it on is fine. The Anderson Upper Pic rail was out of spec.

rxer311
2 February 2016, 18:00
Just curious, did you end up using a roller cam pin?

No I did not. I may end up upgrading to one if I see excessive cam wear.

Jinxy
28 February 2016, 16:51
Nice build! I basically built same thing. Syrac mid length piston/16" chf rainier/fortis switch 15. I used a pof roller cam on mine, mostly because of all the wear I saw when I had an original Adams arms piston kit (which is who created Syrac, which now Syrac looks to be the same as superlative). I've seen hardly any wear with the roller. Adams arms originally told me that the wear from the cam pin is normal and should not be cause for concern.

I put buis on it but to be totally honest I've never even sighted them in. I have same thoughts about returning to zero after taking rail off. I have an acog ta31f on it and I plan on stealing the buis for a new build 😁