PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to spend $250 on a new AR?

adrenaline151
3 March 2009, 17:47
I'm going to buy a new Daniel Defense rifle, probably on Monday(or order it anyway), and depending on where I end up ordering from, I might have up to $250 left over to spend on goodies.... I'm trying to decide where to put it. Most likely I will just buy ammo, but I already have 750 rounds or so on hand(I know it's not much for some, but I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like and it will probably last me a while), and I'd like to spend the money on the rifle itself, since the money came from the sale of another rifle.
My ideas so far have been: a handful of pmags(not $250 bucks worth, though!), a gear sector or VTAC sling, a Surefire MB556K, LaRe UDE kit(to be different!), Geissele SSA trigger, MIAD grip(or MOE if I can get a black one)...
basically I have $250 burning a hole in my pocket. At some point I'll have to decide on an optic, but it probably won't be until this summer when I can try some Eotechs and Aimpoints out first. I already have a VLTOR Modstock and TangoDown grip, flashlight mount and Surefire G2 LED, so I have a few toys to try out on it...
A case of Lake City XM193 would probably help more than anything else, though! What do you all think?

adrenaline151
3 March 2009, 18:22
BTW... my main use for the rifle will be a course or two(not much around these parts), and mostly will be home defense(although not particularly likely, we don't even lock our doors around here), but the most use it will probably ever see will be calling coyotes, and shooting over bait.

JustMatt
3 March 2009, 19:20
You can do alot with $250
1. PMags/Lancer mags - 4 should run you no more than $100
2. GearSector, VTAC or BFG Vickers sling - $40-90 depending or what type
3. Vertical forward grip - less than $100
---There you go. If you shop around you should be able to do all that that for $250ish

Cameron
3 March 2009, 21:47
AMMO!

Army Chief
4 March 2009, 00:59
One of the nice things about buying a fairly well-appointed rifle is that it really doesn't need much to be ready for service. A basic light -- which you already have on hand -- is about the only thing that is missing, and most of these other components (grips, cases, triggers, stocks, optics, slings ...) can be obtained at will later on as you have the funds.

Feeding devices are the exception, of course, since they will almost certainly be subject to future restrictions at some point. For that reason, I would seriously consider bumping up that PMAG order to a dozen or so. (I tend to buy them in $200 blocks.) Best case, you will have quality mags for a lifetime; worst case, you will have something of inherent value that could probably be sold for a premium a few years from now.

AC

Eric
4 March 2009, 06:30
Equipment-wise, magazines would be at the top of my list. Pmags would be the fist choice. Next up is ammo and a 2 pt sling.
Down the road, if you don't have formalized training (or heck, even if you do), I would suggest a basic carbine class.

103m 95g
4 March 2009, 08:02
Magazines and Ammo

Stickman
4 March 2009, 11:24
I would start with PMAGs, and you should only be paying around $15 a piece for them, don't get stuck with higher priced ones. A good 2 point adjustable sling, and you might think about the Magpul training DVD. Its not a substitute for getting out and doing shooting classes, but it may be a nice way to make sure you aren't the bottom of the class when you do get to a training course.

A MIAD or MOE grip may be a nice piece to drop on it as well, and they are pretty cheap, but I wouldn't buy other furniture at this point as the MOE stock on the DD is pretty good.

adrenaline151
4 March 2009, 11:39
you mean $200 for a half a dozen pmag isn't a great deal? Lol.
I almost bought a bunch the other night when Noveske had the 5 packs for $74.95. There were 20 in stock and I went to dinner and came back and there were none. Then I checked gunbroker and found out how much dinner actually cost me.

Army Chief
4 March 2009, 12:16
Gunbroker is the last place I would check for these right now. Just get on a waiting list, and settle in for a month or two, and you'll be all set.

AC

Hozen
4 March 2009, 12:37
Like the other guy said, get some ammo. The DD carbine is pretty setup from the factory. No need to spend more money on an already expensive rifle. Plus, a gun without ammo is no better than a baseball bat. $250 dollars should get you 550-650 rounds of ammo depending on what you get.

JustMatt
4 March 2009, 18:59
For ammo my suggestion is PRVI 69grn-75grn BTHP. Reason being is that right now it's about all I can find that is decent, cheap and plentiful. Ive got 1k of each and so far have had zero issues and it's decently accurate.

TehLlama
7 March 2009, 07:40
Drop a MIAD/MOE on it, and spend the rest on PMags. I'm assuming you've already got an aimpoint set up for it, so you should be good.

BTW: if you decide you don't like the VFG, lemme know ;)

scumhunter
8 March 2009, 08:02
If you are open minded about your optic you may want to consider the Burris Fast Fire. If you don't know, it is a small red-dot optic very simular to The Dr. Optic. I have been running with the Fast Fire on my SWAT rifle for about a year now. No problems with it at all. It holds zero very well and it has a very long battery life. You can add this to your kit for $180.00 - $225.00, no problem.

michschi
15 April 2009, 12:17
I agree with the ammo comment. I just bought the last eight boxes from fleet-farm last night!

uspopo
19 April 2009, 07:20
Magazines, ammo, a quality sling and training..

NickDrak
19 April 2009, 19:18
I wouldnt mess with the trigger. Leave the stock MilSpec trigger in there.

Im a little late to the party, but I would advise getting a Surefire X300 and mount it directly in-front of the FSB in the 12 o'clock position (works great!). Put the rest of your funds toward mags.