PDA

View Full Version : What is your longest pistol shot?

alamo5000
6 February 2016, 16:32
Today I was goofing around with a P226 and I decided to try and take longer shots with my pistol. Normally I shoot pistols up close 7-15-20 or 25 yards and try to focus on doing all that stuff as right as I know how to do (I still have a lot to learn) but today I tried to mix it up some. I went back to beyond 50 yards and I was connecting with my steel plates fairly consistently. Of course some misses but more hits than not. Mainly I was just curious about real world scenarios where I might need to make a longer shot.

I tried a mag or two standing in regular stance and I tried sitting down. I tried sitting on the ground and a number of other things....all pretty much the same result.

It definitely would have rained lead down on a bad guy putting lead really close to his vicinity and most of the shots would have caused damage. Although I did notice that the ammo was pretty inconsistent. Despite the same aiming point some of my shots were very low and others were a lot higher on the target. The end result is that if you aim for the head you would get some pretty good connection at that range. [:D]

Has anyone else ever tried shooting longer ranges with a pistol?

Does anyone ever train or practice shots like that (or longer)?

gatordev
6 February 2016, 16:44
My longest is with a G17 at 106 yards (the 100y berm had an inset) on an IPSC steel target while standing. Kind of fun to do, is good on making sure you're practicing fundamentals, but is mostly a goof off exercise for me. However, I've more seriously done drills from 50 (and moving in to 25 and 10) on steel to build confidence and then start back at 50 on paper to trying to keep hits in the A-zone as a tool to make sure you're not just blasting at the steel.

I've done something similar with an AR out a little farther out (like ~100y) and moved in, again, making sure to focus on A-zone hits. Again, forces you to keep the fundamentals going while trying to pick up the pace over time.

Battle Cock
6 February 2016, 16:48
I used to shoot squirrels with a tricked out 1911 at around 75yd with good consistency. Anything longer tended to get close at best.

I think it's important that people have at least a rudimentary experiential knowledge of what their handguns can and will do when used to engage targets at extended range. I've done some shooting out to 300 yds with a 1911 but I can't hit anything smaller than a pallet. I'd say I've observed some inconsistency in cheap ammo at that range as well. But I really haven't done it enough to be sure, and with all the variables of shooting handguns, it's entirely possible that I as the shooter was the source of the inconsistency.

alamo5000
6 February 2016, 16:49
My longest is with a G17 at 106 yards (the 100y berm had an inset) on an IPSC steel target while standing. Kind of fun to do, is good on making sure you're practicing fundamentals, but is mostly a goof off exercise for me. However, I've more seriously done drills from 50 (and moving in to 25 and 10) on steel to build confidence and then start back at 50 on paper to trying to keep hits in the A-zone as a tool to make sure you're not just blasting at the steel.

I've done something similar with an AR out a little farther out (like ~100y) and moved in, again, making sure to focus on A-zone hits. Again, forces you to keep the fundamentals going while trying to pick up the pace over time.

Mine was just a goof off thing to satisfy curiosity. I might come up with something more 'drill like' later on... like I said I was able to hit the majority of shots at 50 yards... my target is only 12" wide so I guess that kind of complicates it some.

I might try something like shooting 5 shots at 50 yards... the run up on the target stopping at various distances say do 50/30/20 drills...dropping 5 shots each time...just to see if I can do it...

alamo5000
6 February 2016, 17:01
I used to shoot squirrels with a tricked out 1911 at around 75yd with good consistency. Anything longer tended to get close at best.

I think it's important that people have at least a rudimentary experiential knowledge of what their handguns can and will do when used to engage targets at extended range. I've done some shooting out to 300 yds with a 1911 but I can't hit anything smaller than a pallet. I'd say I've observed some inconsistency in cheap ammo at that range as well. But I really haven't done it enough to be sure, and with all the variables of shooting handguns, it's entirely possible that I as the shooter was the source of the inconsistency.

Yes I agree with your statement 110%. It's a very good idea to know what you and your gun is capable of. That's part of the reason why I did it. I only shot 100 rounds just to see if I could do it. Each subsequent magazine I was getting more and more shots on target. The first one was like 7 on target then 9... then 10... then 12 and so on...

Next time I will try it with a 1911 and see what happens. As I said my steel is only 12" wide so my shots would have at least been somewhat center mass on a full size target. I would have probably hit him in the balls a few times but I think that would get his attention...

I might be able to get a 75 yard shots on my targets but I haven't tried it yet...

I am going to try it with my carry gun as well...

Aragorn
6 February 2016, 17:25
My favorite range used to have man sized steel silhouettes on their action range at 100, 200, and 300 yards. They've since filled it in to another 30ish yard bay, but when the silhouettes were there I was able to consistently makes hits on the 100 yard one with a full sized M&P 9, and a Glock 35. Consistently that is around 90%. I've also made a run at it with a 1911 but hold over was enough to lose the target more or less behind the gun so hit percentage went down.

SINNER
6 February 2016, 18:03
140 yards with my 5.7. Actually held over a little much and spined a fox. Gave me a lot of respect for that little screamer of a round the damage it did.

Stone
6 February 2016, 19:12
80 yards on 8" and 5" steel rounds, standing unsupported. Both 45 and 9mm. The 5" rounds take a few shots to get my sighting dialed in.

BoilerUp
6 February 2016, 19:15
Oh, 100 yards is not a problem at all for my pistol....

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZPbVhhs/0/XL/i-ZPbVhhs-XL.jpg

alamo5000
6 February 2016, 19:34
Oh, 100 yards is not a problem at all for my pistol....

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZPbVhhs/0/XL/i-ZPbVhhs-XL.jpg

Cheater!

[:D]

SINNER
6 February 2016, 19:38
Oh those kinds of pistols....

500+ LOL

voodoo_man
6 February 2016, 19:39
302y

SINNER
6 February 2016, 19:41
302y

9mm?

alamo5000
6 February 2016, 20:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

alamo5000
6 February 2016, 20:02
302y

What did you do that with? Please share the details!

voodoo_man
7 February 2016, 06:38
My edc g19, trijicon hd sights.

Some of the classes I do involve a walk-back contest at the end of the day on a chest-sized silhouette steel.

First shot is standing two hand strong hand, if you miss you shoot one hand strong hand, if you miss you shoot one hand other strong hand.

I couldn't see the target but I knew in the general area were it was (berm, stand, painted bright orange) and we were hitting it every 50 - 25 yards or so on the walk back.

I stopped being able to hit it on the first 3 tries at around 180ish yards as its difficult to tell what a 115gr 9mm is going to do at those distances but four or five shots and a few guys helping give me impact points I was able to dial it in, as they were.

Jerry R
7 February 2016, 16:16
How about my funniest long shot?

A good friend met me at Griffonsec's for a few day's fellowship and shooting. Rifle work was done for awhile, and we had been doing pistol steel at 25 yards. Friend and my son were at 25 to repaint the plates and started talking about one of Griff's friends that had been shooting at the 8" round plate he leaves at the 100 yard berm. So, they both take a magazine of 45 ammo and shoot at the plate, nothing. They reload, used the 5 foot post holding one of the plates as a rest. Another 16 rounds down range with no success. I'm just sittin' on the truck tailgate watching.

Griff says, "C'mon Dad, show us whatcha got."

I had been shooting the Baer P-II (has the 1.5" option).

I walked up, drew, fired one round offhand. PING !! A 75 yard shot on the 8" plate.

I holstered and walked back toward the truck. All I heard was, "Dammit Dad!"

Optimus Prime
8 February 2016, 08:13
A friend and I were messing around at about 300 meters with 9mm one time. 8" steel in a gravel pit. Once we walked them in and figured out the hold over, it was surprisingly effective. [BD]

tappedandtagged
8 February 2016, 15:17
Goofing at the range one day I took a 100 yard shot on a silhouette qual target with my G27. Hit it low left, in what would have been the bad guy's right hip. Pretty sure it was pure luck.

Sak007
15 February 2016, 03:47
1000 yard shot on steel ipsc target with a 7in AR pistol with a Vortex sparc , it almost looked like I was firing a mortar. Hit it on 3rd shot with a good spotter as it 100+ degrees and could barely see through the mirages on top of a u-haul truck . I hit a plate sized piece of steel at 400 yards with a suppressed 1911 on the first shot and with my buddy's gun and walked away and to leave that thought on everyone's mind. PURE LUCK

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk