PDA

View Full Version : handguard weight question

WHSmithIV
9 February 2016, 09:43
Hey guys. I'm helping someone put together a really light weight build.

He's going with a 14.5" pencil barrel (probably the one from Faxon), so I figure a 12" free float will be what he can get for lightest weight. Anybody have any good light weight suggestions somewhere in the 100-150 range?

UWone77
9 February 2016, 10:55
What format? KeyMod, MLOK or Picatinny?

DutyUse
9 February 2016, 11:04
The KMR-Alphas are still fairly lw and well priced.

I think the best bang for your buck rails are the ones from ALG

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/09/1da3aa33d2fc4c83912770006c705825.jpg

They feel really good in hand as well

Josh S.
9 February 2016, 11:06
It's a 13.7" and I'm not sure how the weight compares to other options, but "EO3" has a Faxon 14.5" barrel, SMOS MLOK rail and slick-side upper for sale in the classifieds. May be worth looking into...

Farva
9 February 2016, 11:11
The KMR-Alphas are still fairly lw and well priced.

I think the best bang for your buck rails are the ones from ALG

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/09/1da3aa33d2fc4c83912770006c705825.jpg

They feel really good in hand as well

I ditto this. The KMR Alpha is stupid light weight. The original KMR would be even lighter but does not meet your budget requirements.

UWone77
9 February 2016, 11:13
The Alpha is the way to go, but I believe they start at $179.99. To meet budget, I'd go with the ALG as well. I'm sure there are a few others that would be good choices, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'd also consider used. You can probably find a Rainier/Samson Evolution for sub-$100

DutyUse
9 February 2016, 11:19
I'm finding the KMR alphas from 170-210 depending on length, so maybe slightly out of budget. But well worth saving the extra few dollars for.

The ALG defense rails are a steal at 100-150 and depending on model are nearly as light as the KMR-A

KMR-A 13" - 9.9oz
ALG EMR1 13" - 10.25

Edit:

The rail VDM is selling is extremely nice and in your range.

link (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8890)

EO3
9 February 2016, 11:24
It's a 13.7" and I'm not sure how the weight compares to other options, but "EO3" has a Faxon 14.5" barrel, SMOS MLOK rail and slick-side upper for sale in the classifieds. May be worth looking into...

Still available, too! It's a very lightweight, but still robust and solid upper.

MI Gen 3 MLOK 12.625 rail is pretty dang light, but runs about $180 I believe.

fledge
9 February 2016, 13:36
I second EO3's setup. That upper receiver is lighter than BAD and barely heavier than 2A and better looking than both! I have the handguard and barrel nut unassembled that he also has and can weigh them if interested. In that price range, very hard to beat.

fledge
9 February 2016, 13:40
Just weighted it. Handguard with barrel nut and screws: 13.22oz.

EO3
9 February 2016, 15:33
I second EO3's setup. That upper receiver is lighter than BAD and barely heavier than 2A and better looking than both! I have the handguard and barrel nut unassembled that he also has and can weigh them if interested. In that price range, very hard to beat.

Yessir! Paired with this 14.5 Faxon Gunner, which rolls in right at 22 oz I believe, it's very light. The midlength gas and Surefire Procomp make it shoot very soft as well.

WHSmithIV
9 February 2016, 17:54
What format? KeyMod, MLOK or Picatinny?

It doesn't really matter to him. He's only concerned with it being light.

WHSmithIV
9 February 2016, 17:57
Yessir! Paired with this 14.5 Faxon Gunner, which rolls in right at 22 oz I believe, it's very light. The midlength gas and Surefire Procomp make it shoot very soft as well.

I'll mention it to him. I should catch him late tonight or in the morning.

BoilerUp
9 February 2016, 19:18
8.2 oz for the Midwest Industries 12.5" Lightweight is worth considering, too: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1266

If you wait for a decent sale you should be able to pick one up for about $160. I like mine well enough:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-hGq274D/0/L/i-hGq274D-L.jpg

However, I do plan on selling mine to upgrade to a KMR which runs about $100 more. The KMR-A is probably the best value out there, IMO. The KMR mounting system is the bee's knees, as far as I'm concerned.

The EMR is a good option, too. I have an EMR but ditched it for a KMR-A. I just didn't care for the round profile of the EMR and am not a fan of the mounting system but it's a good choice for the DIYer w/o access to a torque wrench.

WHSmithIV
9 February 2016, 19:36
I'm going to recommend the ALG rail to him. Wish i knew what the Primary Arms rails made by Seekins Precision weigh. I have one of those on the way that's donated for the giveaway I'm doing for my builders group. I'll weigh it when it gets here later in the week. They're a decent price. He's building the rifle for his wife and she hated the weight of his h-bar upper on the lower he has already build for her.

EO3
9 February 2016, 20:44
He's building the rifle for his wife and she hated the weight of his h-bar upper on the lower he has already build for her.
Sounds like my upper could be a good option for him. Plus, it's already built!

BoilerUp
9 February 2016, 21:42
I'm going to recommend the ALG rail to him. Wish i knew what the Primary Arms rails made by Seekins Precision weigh. I have one of those on the way that's donated for the giveaway I'm doing for my builders group. I'll weigh it when it gets here later in the week. They're a decent price. He's building the rifle for his wife and she hated the weight of his h-bar upper on the lower he has already build for her.

Those PA/Seekins handguards are a great value. Those BAR style handguards like Seekins or Aero Precision should come in around 10 ounces and some change w/ the barrel nut. Not heavy at all, but not "ultralight" either. I really like my Aero Precision enhanced handguards, but I think many women may find them too wide for their liking. My wife likes them, but liked the EMR better, and the KMR best.

DutyUse
10 February 2016, 12:06
It's funny, my wife likes the cheapest rail I own (EMR) and hates the Noveske nsrs. Go figure

WHSmithIV
11 February 2016, 18:20
I think he's going to get one of the Matrix Arms rails since they are currently on sale at a great price at Joebob's

UWone77
11 February 2016, 18:34
I think he's going to get one of the Matrix Arms rails since they are currently on sale at a great price at Joebob's

We already knew this Will. [:D]

John Moses
13 February 2016, 21:23
May I also suggest a Parralax Tactical rail. Very light, well made, and slim in the hands. EmailJoe, they usually have blems for $99, and often they are cerekoted as well.....