PDA

View Full Version : Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

SwissyJim
13 February 2016, 15:36
You guys see this?

Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/article/Senior-Associate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php)

Obama gets to appoint a new Judge before he leaves office unless it gets blocked until then.

alamo5000
13 February 2016, 15:53
We have I think 53 or 54 Senators in the Senate so there is no way forward unless they consent.

24 Republicans are up for re-election in the Senate and only 10 Democrats.

With the political environment the way it is right now we are on very very dangerous ground.

If they poach 6 Republicans it will do nothing but further galvanize the electorate against them and they know it. But after the elections the John McCains of the world have nothing to lose. They will either go out with a parting shot or they will be safe for 6 more years.

I think this just made the election turnout even greater.

If this election wasn't already interesting it just got kicked up a few notches.

alamo5000
13 February 2016, 15:57
It also means this election will truly be a referendum on the US. It will either forever be an Obamacare country or the people will elect people who will turn it around.

KW900A
13 February 2016, 15:58
With the political environment the way it is right now we are on very very dangerous ground.

If this election wasn't already interesting it just got kicked up a few notches.

I'll drink to that. Just got back from valentines dinner with the misses and heard this news.

alamo5000
13 February 2016, 16:37
"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President" --Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell

Tyrannosaur
13 February 2016, 17:23
Real bad news. RIP justice Scalia. Goodbye rights.

FortTom
13 February 2016, 17:24
F&Kin Obama can't even wait for his body to cool down. He's already talking about appointing a new justice. Since that won't work, he'll try a recess appointment. The senate, of course won't go into recess, but Obama has already tried that once, by "declaring" the senate in recess, but he got bitch slapped for that one.

Of even more major concern is that the next President will probably have three more retirements from the SCOTUS. A liberal in the White House will destroy this nation.

I'm sure Obama is about to piss himself with giddiness.

KW900A
13 February 2016, 17:39
No kidding. A Reagan era conservative gone is a notch on the bedpost for the Obama administration. Get ready for another executive move where he forces his hand and bypasses checks and balances yet again.

I'd say November can't get here fast enough, but if the primaries are indicating a fed up populous, I'm looking forward to it.

cjd3
13 February 2016, 17:40
Went to the range today, tested out my new Omega suppressor. All was good. Went to Cabela's to renew my NRA membership, left with out purchasing anything, still a good day. On the way home, the news on the radio informed me of his passing. Saddened, and now upset. It will be a very interesting 9 months.

alamo5000
13 February 2016, 17:51
From a Facebook conversation that I am having...

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President" --Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell

--

"Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley, who controls the committee schedule for handling nominees, likewise said he supports deferring until next year"

--

“The fact of the matter is that it’s been standard practice over the last 80 years to not confirm Supreme Court nominees during a presidential election year,” --Charles Grassley

--

The last justice to be confirmed in an election year to a vacancy that arose that year was Benjamin Cardozo -- confirmed in March 1932 to a vacancy that arose in January 1932 and even then never in the history of the United States was a Justice that would have even potentially altered the makeup of the bench confirmed and seated during an election year.

The only other one that even comes close is Justice Kennedy. The vacancy he filled was opened in June of 1987, almost 18 months before the next election. He was nominated as a second choice in November of 1987 (one year before the election) after the Democrats defeated the Bork nomination. The selection process was already six months underway when he got nominated--which was still over a year to go until an election.

In this case we have six months to go until a major election and we need to remember that no matter what anyone says.... they ALL serve us. Not the other way around.

--

It would be political suicide for Republicans to go along with any nomination. Especially in this election.

--

To me I actually agree with deferring regardless of who is President. It's bad enough that the Supreme Court gets nominated for life and has absolutely zero public accountability. They get nominated and have a 20 or 30 year (or more) impact on our entire society so I am of the school that we should at least have some say in it. Again, all these people need to be reminded that they work for us, not the other way around. At this point (to me) it goes well beyond Obama... the people need to have a say... and going through on something like this right now would be horrible for the country. What we already have going on would be lit on fire.

If the country wants a liberal let's put it up to them to get that. Defer to the people is my motto.

--

Again, in 1987 and 1988 it took about 10 months to name a replacement from the time of the vacancy. If they deffer it until Jan 20th it will be 11 months.

--

cjd3
13 February 2016, 17:59
Thanks for this A5K, I'm saving it for a few months.