PDA

View Full Version : 11.5" Kitty SBR

Farva
15 February 2016, 16:32
Here will be where I document the birth of the WEVO Kitty SBR. Also discussion on other parts.

So far I have:
the Kitty Lower (obviously)
Lantac UAR Upper
11.5" BCM Extreme light weight fluted barrel
10" KMR
BCM lo-pro has block
Geissele SD-C trigger

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160216/748089c3225b48bceb90b00c826fc33f.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160216/722a657d25c6cd8a70a5f72bd643ecef.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160216/090a503a72f6f47a22c58834b3104f2e.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160216/4e2e4f580dd7fe2eac2a15dd9735fcec.jpg

So things I still need:

BCG
Iron sights
Optic
Muzzle device
Stock

BCG- I was thinking about the Gemtech suppressor BCG. Everything I've seen on it has been positive. Has anyone on here had any experience with one? If so, what say you?

Iron sights- I can't decide between the Daniel Defense fixed irons or some flip ups like either the magpul pro's or something like RA's flip ups.

Optic- leaning on either the Aimpoint Pro or a Vortex PST 1-4.

Muzzle device- this will be an AAC mount since this will be suppressed. Thinking either the brake or the comp to add a superficial baffle if you will.

Stock- for now I might just throw a stabilizer blade on there until the stamp clears. I like the magpul K stock for its small signature. But that being said I'll have to wait and see what BCM's sopmod stock is going to be like.

Feel free to offer options and opinions about something I may have overlooked.

DutyUse
15 February 2016, 16:38
Sub'd. This is gonna be an awesome little blaster when your done with it

Aragorn
15 February 2016, 16:46
This is gonna be sweet, and weigh about as much as a helium balloon.

Along those lines, could check out a Ti gas block by Battle Arms Development or V7 just to continue the lightweight forend. Along those lines, if the barrel you're using is a .625 gas block seat, the BCM gas block is the same outer dimension as their .750, just with a smaller hole.

...because bigger and heavier are exactly what people are looking for in a gas block apparently...

Innyhoo, yeah. This is gonna be sweet.

alamo5000
15 February 2016, 16:57
I would think the suppressor bolt might be worth a try. I would also consider a GA Snach.

Short barrels like that are extremely loud due to the high pressure at the bullet to bore exit. It makes the 'boom' a LOT louder than a 16 or 18" gun.

When you put the suppressor on there because of the increased pressure you will experience a lot more back pressure too. It's nothing that can't be lived with or overcome but every little bit helps.

I am personally pretty curious about the suppressor bolt myself.

As for an optic I have a T2 and am very very pleased with it. Don't ask me for expert opinions on red dots, but all I know is I really like mine and I can tell it's a work of art. It won't wash out in the sun and it's a frickin tank.

I would not put a 1-4x optic on a rifle like that though. That's just my opinion.

Farva
15 February 2016, 17:23
This is good. Opinions and suggestions are what I'm looking for.

I have eyed the SNATCH as well. I am however thinking pretty hard on the suppressor bolt. I think once I can find one in stock I'll pick it up.

Alamo, why is it you wouldn't recommend a 1-4? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

UWone77
15 February 2016, 17:44
The UAR matches up with the RA/Kitty Lower very well!

Jerry R
15 February 2016, 18:24
You might want to look at Battlecomp's AAC mount for a muzzle device. You have a great start on this build! Will be following this thread with great interest.

alamo5000
15 February 2016, 18:26
Reasons for not using a 1-4x Vortex on that rifle... I have a Vortex Viper PST and it is an excellent optic but I wouldn't want to use it on a really short gun.

For one it will add well over a pound of weight. I am using an ultra lite aero mount on mine and it is almost 1lb 2oz with the mount. It will totally throw off the weight savings.

Also I assume you will be shooting at 100y and in for the most part. If you had a 12.5 and were wanting to take it out to 300 or 400 yards or so then by all means the 1-4x is the way to go. But unless you have that specific idea in mind it could have some downsides. For example adding that much weight and that style of optic it could compromise your up close shooting in other scenarios.

At the end of the day even on "1x" the vortex is still a scope. Being all bunched up and hunched over it's slightly more challenging for target acquisition with a scope even on it's widest setting, not to mention it is heavy as hell which cuts down on mobility.

With the T2 it's a lot easier at least for me. Just follow the dot. You can do it both eyes open too whereas with the scope it's more of a challenge. I find with the smaller lighter optic I am able to move around a lot easier. Think of it as 'stacking'... first the scope is harder relative to a red dot to get on target in a fast situation... then it's heavier and way more bulky... when you add those two together it gives the dots a much better overall utility.

Now add to that at my steel targets have a 4" square head and I tagged the SOB between the eyes at 100 yards with a 1x. It's not easy but it's doable. Yes, I was trying to hit it in the head... Just hitting say like a 8x10 sheet of paper at 100 yards is easy with the 1x. At 50 yards it's a snap. I am far from an expert and I can from a standing position with no rest tag the shit out of my little steel plates... that is more than good for minute of man shooting in skilled hands.

It all depends on what you are going to do with the gun. What is your concept of shooting? Are you looking for minute of man where you can be fast on target? Or are you going to be back 'observing' a situation as a LEO where you are perched up somewhere watching what's going on?

At the end of the day what the 1-4x brings to the party is not worth it for the penalties it brings. This is assuming you are building an SBR to say go into buildings or clear a house or be on a target quickly. Assuming you want to be in an observer role a 12.5 or a 14.5 will be better barrel lengths if you ask me. At least in theory if you have to engage farther out you can much more easily do so without the ammo sensitivity.

Again if you are building a blaster a true 1x red dot will be a lot better and lighter and have almost no penalty because the optic will be matched to the style of shooting. But with a 10.5 or 11.5 you're talking around 100 yards is the max engagement range strictly based on ammo limitations. No matter what you're shooting you won't get too far beyond that. Given the gun will obviously shoot farther than that but if you ever had to shoot at somebody farther than that that's not the right tool.

On the other hand if you have to go inside a run down warehouse looking for a bad guy you will be more than glad you had a red dot.

It should also be noted that my expertise level is about a 2 out of 10 so I am just pontificating on stuff. That said I have read a lot because I am a frickin nerd and the people I have read put some ideas in my head that seem to make sense.

Farva
15 February 2016, 22:41
All valid points Alamo. You by no means have to be an expert. Having read your other posts on here, your very scientific in your decisions. So I have no doubt you've read into this quite a bit. I was leaning towards the red dot option more so than the 1-4. It wasn't out of the question though. I did entertain the idea but perhaps a 1-4 would be better suited for a 300blk on that short of a gun.

Farva
15 February 2016, 22:43
You might want to look at Battlecomp's AAC mount for a muzzle device. You have a great start on this build! Will be following this thread with great interest.

I've thought about this too. I have a battlecomp on my 14.5" and like it a lot. I wonder though if it would still act as a superficial baffle due to its design or not.

mustangfreek
16 February 2016, 02:52
Nice list of parts, that upper does look good paired with the kitty

tappedandtagged
16 February 2016, 04:14
Gem Tech BC- $225 + 50 for the bolt= $275 total.
Adjustable gas block- $60 to 115 plus standard BCG (120) = $180 to 135

Unless you have already mated the BCM gas block, I'd personally get another gas block you can regulate versus a BC that may or may not work.

But, on a selfish note, I hope you go for the Gem Tech BCG, cause I'd rather have you test it than me.

eldogg
16 February 2016, 04:25
I have a gemtech carrier that I'm running on a 11.5 in. Just got mine Griffin out of nfa jail. so i'll be testing this weekend.

titanse05
16 February 2016, 04:41
Nice set of parts so far. Deserves to have a pair of RA BUIS and here is a potential GB that WEVO may be doing. It'll be the best price RA can offer.

WEVO Rainier Arms BUIS Group Buy (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?8908-Rainier-Arms-Back-Up-Iron-Sights-Group-Buy)

voodoo_man
16 February 2016, 04:57
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/09/Not-bad-GIF.gif?gs=a

Farva
16 February 2016, 08:29
Nice set of parts so far. Deserves to have a pair of RA BUIS and here is a potential GB that WEVO may be doing. It'll be the best price RA can offer.

WEVO Rainier Arms BUIS Group Buy (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?8908-Rainier-Arms-Back-Up-Iron-Sights-Group-Buy)

I was waiting for you to chime in with this. Ever sold cars before?? Haha

I do believe this was meant to be.

UWone77
16 February 2016, 09:00

I do believe this was meant to be.

LOL... so what's it gonna take for you to drive home with some BUIS today?

Jerry R
16 February 2016, 09:08
I wonder though if it would still act as a superficial baffle due to its design or not.

Not sure on this. But, I am going to run a Battlecomp 51.30 on both Sig 716's with an AAC 762SD. One is a 16", the other a 12". Hope it works as well as a baffle. I think the design, with all the little holes, will break up the fireball similarly (if not better) than the AAC baffled brakes I'm running on the 6.8 and 556 guns. The AAC brakes blow the fireball out the sides and have one or more baffles to disperse the heat as it moves forward, "saving" the first can baffle. I think (that always gets me in trouble) the Battlecomp, while it does not have a baffle, is an efficient design that breaks up the "flash" pretty well. That may also help with wear on the first can baffle.

Farva
16 February 2016, 09:13
Not sure on this. But, I am going to run a Battlecomp 51.30 on both Sig 716's with an AAC 762SD. One is a 16", the other a 12". Hope it works as well as a baffle. I think the design, with all the little holes, will break up the fireball similarly (if not better) than the AAC baffled brakes I'm running on the 6.8 and 556 guns. The AAC brakes blow the fireball out the sides and have one or more baffles to disperse the heat as it moves forward, "saving" the first can baffle. I think (that always gets me in trouble) the Battlecomp, while it does not have a baffle, is an efficient design that breaks up the "flash" pretty well. That may also help with wear on the first can baffle.

I'd be curious with this too. I'll do some more Google-foo and see what I can dig up.

GriffonSec
16 February 2016, 09:51

I'm not sure if you remember or not, but the BABC on my 8.5" 6.8 will flash out every few rounds, like it's cleaning out or something. It's enough of a flash to notice through the H1. I don't think it'd be an issue on the 16", but maybe the 12"?

titanse05
16 February 2016, 09:54

I do believe this was meant to be.[:D]

Jerry R
16 February 2016, 10:04
I remember seeing that. Didn't think it was a large flash, but at least noticeable. So, the 762SD came with a 51T Blackout Flash Hider Mount - did not know that at the time of purchase. I bought a 51T Blackout Muzzle Break. Then, Battlecomp announced the 51.30. Now you guys have got me thinking through this all over again. Rather than buy a second 51.30, I may use the one I have on the 16" and use the Blackout Muzzle Break on the 12". If I do, not sure anyone will want to shoot next to me when I'm working the 12" 308 with no can [BD]

Sak007
17 February 2016, 21:56
Was that lower really $1k?

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Joelski
18 February 2016, 03:49
Only under a specific circumstance.

Sak007
18 February 2016, 05:10
Only under a specific circumstance.The first rule of kitty lower club .............

Joelski
18 February 2016, 05:18
;)

Pyzik
18 February 2016, 11:19
Very nice!

Farva
20 February 2016, 07:12
After looking at the pictures and half way holding it mocked up, I'm debating on swapping the stubby grip for the KAG like what's on the Thin Blue Line SBR. I really dig that thing.

alamo5000
20 February 2016, 07:15
After looking at the pictures and half way holding it mocked up, I'm debating on swapping the stubby grip for the KAG like what's on the Thin Blue Line SBR. I really dig that thing.

I am going in between an AFG and a vertical grip myself. Trying to see which one I prefer. Try one a month, then try the other a month and see what happens.

I have never been big on AFG but in some ways it's grown on me.

Farva
20 February 2016, 07:20
I mainly use them as hand stops so I really like the KAG BCM makes. But the added storage of the stubby would be nice for batteries or copies of the stamps.

Farva
12 April 2016, 22:15
One of the final pieces for the kitty has arrived! Say hello to my lil friend!!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160413/aa0c26c970988a6ab7d59551a478750e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brahmzy
13 April 2016, 05:02
Compact ACOG candidate? Enjoying my new TA44 a lot. Still getting used to my TA45.. That red triangle is freakin tiny for my eyes. The red circle in the TA44 is a lot faster for me.

Farva
13 April 2016, 22:37
Compact ACOG candidate? Enjoying my new TA44 a lot. Still getting used to my TA45.. That red triangle is freakin tiny for my eyes. The red circle in the TA44 is a lot faster for me.

I was thinking either an Aimpoint PRO or moving the MRO from my 10.5" over to this and putting the PRO on the 10.5"... not really sure yet.

DutyUse
14 April 2016, 09:39
One of the final pieces for the kitty has arrived! Say hello to my lil friend!!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160413/aa0c26c970988a6ab7d59551a478750e.jpg

Nice love the mini. Congrats

Farva
25 April 2016, 12:22
I have the upper ready to assemble, just gotta find the time to do it. But for now here's a mock up of it.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160425/72eab5e4815049960cf7da81cc1fc83e.jpg

KMR and can clearance look great!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160425/b90c44735ccaf919131b52d13dfd49d2.jpg

alamo5000
25 April 2016, 13:06
I have the upper ready to assemble, just gotta find the time to do it. But for now here's a mock up of it.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160425/72eab5e4815049960cf7da81cc1fc83e.jpg

KMR and can clearance look great!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160425/b90c44735ccaf919131b52d13dfd49d2.jpg

Looking good there! Looking really good!

Have you fired that can on anything else yet? How does she perform? Give us the scoop. What are your impressions?

Farva
2 May 2016, 23:27
Ok so now that I got the entire upper actually put together, I put 30 rounds through it as a function check.

First impressions: it's a very light weight upper receiver! Points very nice!

I was surprised at how loud the mini-4 still is. However I do NOT suffer from "buyers remorse" this can a very specific job in mind and that some noise reduction while keeping everything short. The first shot blast was loud but the shots after are quieter. To me the mini 4 almost has the same kind of sound of a noveske KX5 or KX3 but without the snapping boom, if that makes any sense.

Throwing an M4-2000 on and putting some round through that can on the same upper- the M4-2000 is noticeably quieter. This is to be expecting with the extra baffles but i wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference. The Mini4 also puts more gas in the face than the M4-2k. But I look forward to getting some more rounds through this and getting my other uppers to where they can use the can also.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/ffb688fb8b8260770fa66e5c97ffbede.jpg

Farva
2 May 2016, 23:43
I must also add I could still shoot without ear pro and not have ringing. So that's a plus!

UWone77
2 May 2016, 23:47
Try shooting it all day, your ears will be ringing. [:D]

IMHO, the Mini-4 is not hearing safe. It serves a purpose though.

Farva
2 May 2016, 23:54
Try shooting it all day, your ears will be ringing. [:D]

IMHO, the Mini-4 is not hearing safe. It serves a purpose though.

True! I'm sure that would be the case.

My next can purchase will be the Omega more than likely. After that I may pick up another 556 can like a saker or M4-2k. But until then I'm happy with the mini4 and it'll for sure serve its purpose.

My cousin has plenty of M4-2k's if I want to borrow one for whatever we are doing that day lol

tappedandtagged
3 May 2016, 05:46
Even with my Specwar 556, I wear plugs when plinking. I have screwed up my right ear from years of shooting without ear pro, so it starts ringing pretty quickly. A suppressed mag dump with my full sized suppressor still gets them ringing.

I forego the ear pro when hunting though. That was my main purpose for getting one. Don't regret it at all.

Overall, Farva I'm pretty jealous of your build!

Former11B
3 May 2016, 06:56
Farva, what muzzle device are you using to attach the Mini-4?

I know you mentioned a Saker or M42K....ever looked at the Griffin 5.56 cans? Recce 5's are very quiet and very light.

Farva
3 May 2016, 17:35
Farva, what muzzle device are you using to attach the Mini-4?

I know you mentioned a Saker or M42K....ever looked at the Griffin 5.56 cans? Recce 5's are very quiet and very light.

I'm using one of the brakes. Figured that would be a good route to go to help act as a sacrificial baffle in a way.

I have looked at the Recce cans. To be honest there's a lot of good options out there in my opinion. I'm still happy with the mini4 but down the road I'm sure I'll end up with a full size can.

Farva
3 May 2016, 17:37
Even with my Specwar 556, I wear plugs when plinking. I have screwed up my right ear from years of shooting without ear pro, so it starts ringing pretty quickly. A suppressed mag dump with my full sized suppressor still gets them ringing.

I forego the ear pro when hunting though. That was my main purpose for getting one. Don't regret it at all.

Overall, Farva I'm pretty jealous of your build!

From shooting, explosions and ear infections I've lost some hearing in my ears as well. Hunting without ear pro is going to be a huge plus!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm pretty happy with it! Just gotta get the BUIS and optic and figure out what I want to do with paint and such as I wait for the tax stamp for the lower!