PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Cover

cjd3
18 February 2016, 23:07
Thoroughly enjoyed shooting suppressed last weekend. 3 things I noticed:

Damn, does the entire rifle get filthy. From the barrel to the tube, down into the magazine.
SPROING!
After a mag of fun, that mirage is quite an optic dancer.

I can clean the rifle, and save for a JP Spring, but I think the cover would be the best thing to tackle first. What are you guys using to reduce the mirage. I've looked at Rifles Only, Armageddon, Cole-Tac, and Tab Gear. They all look good on the web, but how are these working for you folks?

DeviantLogic
18 February 2016, 23:46
I've got a Griffon Industries, but I really only use it on my 308 bolt gun...I can only attest that it does what it's supposed to do with slow fire (maybe 1 shot per min). I've kept it on when I switched over to an AR a few times, but wasn't really paying attention to it. Most the time when shooting semi-auto suppressed I keep it off, trying to keep the can as cool as possible.

Sak007
19 February 2016, 01:56
I started with a Bowers that worked great other then looking like my can was banging a fleshlight and when it got hot it would slide and get malleable . I am currently running a Armageddon on my Saker and it works as advertised and is cheaper then some other companies .I am planning on ordering one for my Omega & Sandman Ti .All of my cans are run on sbr's and ar308's . I have the Bowers sitting around somewhere if you wanna give it a try , it's cut down for a Saker ?

SINNER
19 February 2016, 04:51
I have had good luck with the Elite Iron covers for the money. I honestly don't like the heavily insulated covers. Unless you are running them on full auto weapons it just seems like they hold in way too much heat.

baboon
19 February 2016, 04:53
Rifles Only with HAD cover.

Vel
19 February 2016, 04:56
Also running the Armageddon covers on my Saker 7.62. Have both a black and multicam I use depending on the host weapon and they both have held up well so far.

SINNER
19 February 2016, 05:00
I did not like my Rifles Only covers. For $90 a pop size the damn things by diameter. All that overlap on slender cans is just a poor design or a cost saving decision. Either way I'll pass for that coin.

Default.mp3
19 February 2016, 07:39
I use a WarSport Suppressor Sock. Seems to work relatively well.

SwissyJim
19 February 2016, 10:17
I got a couple of ColeTac ones, and like them alot. But only really use them on my 556 SBR as it gets HOT. Once I start dialing in my 308AR I'll use one there as well. I just brought home an older pair of my firefighting gloves that I had to take out of service - works great for removing when hot. But I do like the covers on my scoped rifles here in the cold air.

RogerRonas
19 February 2016, 13:25
has anyone tried the cover from Manta? 1 size 1.5' x 7.5" long. 55.00 dollars and can be had on Amazon.
Just curious if you guys like or dislike.
Thanks
Roger

Sak007
20 February 2016, 13:39
has anyone tried the cover from Manta? 1 size 1.5' x 7.5" long. 55.00 dollars and can be had on Amazon.
Just curious if you guys like or dislike.
Thanks
RogerFor my first cover I was stuck between the Manta & Bowers and went with the Bowers as it looked less like a fleshlight . My original thoughts are why should I pay $100+ for a sock for my suppressor . Fast forward to current day , my bowers is somewhere in one of my parts bins And I have 2 more Armageddon covers coming .For $69 bucks I don't think you can beat an Armageddon cover .

cjd3
17 April 2016, 16:44
Today I actually brought my Cole-Tac cover to the range, and boy what a difference it makes. The mirage was gone. So far, I'm pretty happy with this cover. Quality construction, and the fit is just right. I just hope the velcro holds up over time.

gatordev
18 April 2016, 04:06
For those with the Cole-Tacs, what prevents it from sliding forward? From the blurbige, I get it has straps, but is that it? Seems like with some heat they'd loosen just a bit and it would start slipping forward.

cjd3
18 April 2016, 13:37
3 Straps. I cinch the middle one first, then the ends, and the center again. So far no slippage. I guess if it starts to move, I can wrap a bungee around it afterward.

gatordev
18 April 2016, 14:47
That's good to hear. I'll need another cover (or two) when the ATF deems it necessary, so I'm looking at other options. I've been eyeing this one, but wanted to make sure it wasn't pain to use.

cjd3
18 April 2016, 19:17
I got the Metal Python and I'm hoping the velcro keeps. If you are doing a lot of removal, it may be better to get the summit with the metal buckles.

Former11B
19 April 2016, 06:20
Not necessarily what weight, but what type of buffer do you use? I have found that regularly cleaning and lubing the spring, tube, and buffer when maintaining the rest of the rifle after suppressed shooting, it keeps the noise to a minimum. I'd suggest that before spending the $$ on expensive springs.

The Cole-Tac is at the top of my list. Since I'll probably move it around a little bit, I need to get the most durable one they have I imagine.

gatordev
19 April 2016, 15:14
I probably wouldn't move it around, but I do remove it (or more accurately, slide it back) to help cool the suppressor at times. I have a feeling I'll be looking at these come the summer tax (stamp) season.

cjd3
19 April 2016, 18:53
Not necessarily what weight, but what type of buffer do you use? I have found that regularly cleaning and lubing the spring, tube, and buffer when maintaining the rest of the rifle after suppressed shooting, it keeps the noise to a minimum. I'd suggest that before spending the $$ on expensive springs.

I have a carbine buffer in my 18" rifle length rifle, and an H buffer in my carbine. I put a thin coat of lube on the spring and in the tube. It's not too annoying, and the JP springs are totally on a wish list right now. I also have yet to adjust the gas block, but that will come soon.

DeviantLogic
19 April 2016, 22:29
For those of you SilencerCo fans, they've started making suppressor covers that look similar to the Cole-Tac's. $70 from their online store. Available in grey only.