PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina (and NC) CCL reciprocity

gatordev
21 February 2016, 09:05
Starting a new thread since this isn't related to VA. I'm going to be traveling from NC back to FL by car in a couple of weeks so I've been researching reciprocity. I haven't had a chance to read up on NC, but from what I'm seeing here (http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP), South Carolina is losing it's reciprocity a few days before I travel. Am I reading this correctly? I will now not be able to legally carry while in SC? I haven't been able to find the actual law that changes this on the NRA-ILA site.

Since most of my trip will be spent in SC, this is kind of a bummer.

Dstrbdmedic167
21 February 2016, 09:29
The way I read it is they're stating that its soley in correlation and response with VA only and its decision to revoke reciprocity with SC residents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Former11B
21 February 2016, 11:34
Your location is FL, but I'm inferring your permit is from VA?

You can still have weapons in the car during your travel, so unless you plan on stopping a whole bunch, it shouldn't be an issue

gatordev
21 February 2016, 14:50
The way I read it is they're stating that its soley in correlation and response with VA only and its decision to revoke reciprocity with SC residents.

Hmm, interesting. That could be. I can't find a single other reference (including reading current legislation) that says a FL CCW won't work in SC. I suppose I could call SLED and see what they say.

Your location is FL, but I'm inferring your permit is from VA?

You can still have weapons in the car during your travel, so unless you plan on stopping a whole bunch, it shouldn't be an issue

To clarify, my CCL is from FL, so clarifying that it still holds reciprocity in SC after March 1st. In other news, looks like I'm good to go in NC. Awesome.

Former11B
22 February 2016, 07:23
http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx

According to SLED, SC and FL maintain reciprocal agreements. Carry on

gatordev
22 February 2016, 14:47
http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx

According to SLED, SC and FL maintain reciprocal agreements. Carry on

That's the link I originally posted. However, it looks like I was misreading this:

As of March 1, 2016, South Carolina and Virginia no longer have concealed weapon permit reciprocity.

Both and you and DMedic are reading it a different (and I'd now argue correct) way that makes it a non-issue. I was reading it as a PSA..."Hey, SC and VA are both going through changes, so they each will change their reciprocity with other states..."

Now that I read it again, with your guys' help, I see it's saying "SC and VA, between each other, are having reciprocity changes..."

It's that damn reading comprehension. Thanks, all!

n4p226r
12 March 2016, 11:33
doesn't SC only accept permits from residents of that state? so assuming you live in florida and have a florida license you should be fine. My florida license (i live in NJ) is not fine

Former11B
12 March 2016, 18:33
doesn't SC only accept permits from residents of that state? so assuming you live in florida and have a florida license you should be fine. My florida license (i live in NJ) is not fine

It's my understanding that SC doesn't accept out of state permits for SC residents, even if that state reciprocates with SC. For example, I have an SC CWP and a Utah CWP, so I can carry in 37 states, including SC. However, if I let my SC permit expire, I would no longer be able to carry here at home, since I'm an in-state resident with an out of state permit. I think that's the only exception to the rule

gatordev
13 March 2016, 14:46
I'm back in Florida both alive and not in jail after driving through the Carolinas (and GA for less than an hour) so mission accomplished.