PDA

View Full Version : SLR Helix?

GaSwamper
25 February 2016, 16:08
Curious if anyone has used the SLR Helix rails yet? I thought sure I'd find some reviews on it by now but searched around and didn't really see anything. If anybody's played around with one or used one I'd like to hear what you think. Pics would be great as well, will probly need another rail soon and the weight on this one has gotten my attention.

Dstrbdmedic167
25 February 2016, 16:40
Sounds like you're up.. Get it and let us know..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alamo5000
25 February 2016, 17:03
I have always liked everything that I've ever gotten from SLR. I don't own a Helix in specific but here are the things I really like about SLR... the barrel nut is just great. No need for any special tools, just a wrench that is big enough. The workmanship is superb. I also really like the new way the the handguard attaches to the upper vs the old way. If you look at the pictures you will see two little pieces there... those are little wedges that when you screw it down the wedges lock the rail in place. I really like that style. If something ever happens you can just get more wedges vs damaging the actual rail itself through say over tightening or whatever.

The downside (if it is a downside) is the inner diameter is pretty small. It's been gone over a number of times here on the forum. Particularly with M LOK you will probably need an SLR gas block. The SLR gas blocks are shorter length wise which gives you clearance enough to run attachments up around the gas block area. Almost any other gas block and you're probably going to have a problem. Please note I have only tried a couple of gas blocks and only one (the SLR) was trouble free in this regard.

The other downside is because there is so little clearance that if your barrel gets dimpled incorrectly your gas block will be slightly rotated around the axis of the barrel and it will cause the gas block to hit the inside of the rail. It might not be a lot but there can be contact. The barrel dimpling needs to be right on the money or pretty damn close.

If you can live with the pretty tight clearances then the rails are top notch.

GaSwamper
25 February 2016, 18:57
Sounds like you're up.. Get it and let us know..

Ha, for some reason I figured I was gonna wind up a guinnie pig on this. Wait how do you spell guinnie pig, is that right lol?

Dstrbdmedic167
25 February 2016, 18:58
Ha, for some reason I figured I was gonna wind up a guinnie pig on this. Wait how do you spell guinnie pig, is that right lol?

Guinea* but close enough I'll let it slide... Haha

GaSwamper
25 February 2016, 19:02
I have always liked everything that I've ever gotten from SLR. I don't own a Helix in specific but here are the things I really like about SLR... the barrel nut is just great. No need for any special tools, just a wrench that is big enough. The workmanship is superb. I also really like the new way the the handguard attaches to the upper vs the old way. If you look at the pictures you will see two little pieces there... those are little wedges that when you screw it down the wedges lock the rail in place. I really like that style. If something ever happens you can just get more wedges vs damaging the actual rail itself through say over tightening or whatever.

The downside (if it is a downside) is the inner diameter is pretty small. It's been gone over a number of times here on the forum. Particularly with M LOK you will probably need an SLR gas block. The SLR gas blocks are shorter length wise which gives you clearance enough to run attachments up around the gas block area. Almost any other gas block and you're probably going to have a problem. Please note I have only tried a couple of gas blocks and only one (the SLR) was trouble free in this regard.

The other downside is because there is so little clearance that if your barrel gets dimpled incorrectly your gas block will be slightly rotated around the axis of the barrel and it will cause the gas block to hit the inside of the rail. It might not be a lot but there can be contact. The barrel dimpling needs to be right on the money or pretty damn close.

If you can live with the pretty tight clearances then the rails are top notch.

I appreciate the input, I've looked at their rails for a while and like the looks of the ultra lights. I do like a slim rail, and I have wondered if the block would be a problem, but I'm also considering using the SLR adjustable on the next build, them or syrac so that may sway me a bit to them. I also like a nice flat bottom, couldn't tell if it was on the Helix with current pics I've found.

GaSwamper
25 February 2016, 19:04
Guinea* but close enough I'll let it slide... Haha

Hey, I was like .75 MOA on the spelling. Good enough right?