PDA

View Full Version : Parents/guardians of sippy cup-age kids, please read

Former11B
25 February 2016, 19:02
My near-two year old has been using this brand of Sippy Cup for a while: Tommie Tippee; I think we got them at Buy Buy Baby.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspzweakwf.jpg

The issue: even following the instructions for cleaning, I recently learned it's impossible to clean the sealed valve out, which looks like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsivue2wam.jpg

BUT, even after minimal use, it will look like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnpixkzum.jpg

I just split that valve open to see if what I read was true and took that picture...it's now in the trash. If anyone has these or know anyone who does, chunk that crap.

voodoo_man
25 February 2016, 19:38
Send these to the company.

I make my kid drink from a cup. No crutches.

Former11B
25 February 2016, 20:04
Yeah...I don't want to be cleaning up milk/water every five seconds. No spills cups are handy

alamo5000
25 February 2016, 20:06

This.

I would send them to the retailer too.

cjd3
25 February 2016, 21:02
I saw this on another thread, and thought that it was just lazy parents not removing the valve when washing. I'm glad we never bought those for our 2 kids. The clear valves on the Playtex brand sippy cups are easily removed and washed and have lasted nearly 4 years.

So, you had to cut that open to see the filth?

Former11B
26 February 2016, 03:16
I saw this on another thread, and thought that it was just lazy parents not removing the valve when washing. I'm glad we never bought those for our 2 kids. The clear valves on the Playtex brand sippy cups are easily removed and washed and have lasted nearly 4 years.

So, you had to cut that open to see the filth?

Yes. There's no way to force a bleach mixture through it unless you put the bleach water in the cup and drink it out.

Our other spill proof cups do not have sealed valves and are easily cleaned in a normal manner.

SINNER
26 February 2016, 05:49

I make my kid drink from a cup. No crutches.

This.

So many bad things come from those cups. I have 3 dentists in my family and they all have said without a doubt they cause issues with jaw alignment and their front teeth.

My wife went from baby bottles and nursing to using water bottles. Minimal spills and free replacements. By three both my kids just used the normal drinking cups.

Former11B
26 February 2016, 07:24
This.

So many bad things come from those cups. I have 3 dentists in my family and they all have said without a doubt they cause issues with jaw alignment and their front teeth.

My wife went from baby bottles and nursing to using water bottles. Minimal spills and free replacements. By three both my kids just used the normal drinking cups.

My kid isn't even two yet. Using a regular cup now would turn our house into a wetlands.

SINNER
26 February 2016, 07:36
When my son was 2 he would get his own water bottle from the fridge and hardly ever spilled any. You would be surprised how well they do when you take the training wheels off.

Former11B
26 February 2016, 08:43
When my son was 2 he would get his own water bottle from the fridge and hardly ever spilled any. You would be surprised how well they do when you take the training wheels off.

Your fridge must be different than mine. The only thing he can reach is the freezer on the bottom. Not every situation is a puzzle piece, that, if different from yours, means the person is doing something wrong. Thanks for insinuation with the training wheels comment. Prior to the mold find, those were the only two spill proof type cups for my kid, and that was because they come in pairs. If you didn't mean it that way, fine, but that's really how it came off.

KW900A
26 February 2016, 08:48
My twins are 7 months old and we are currently working on transitioning them from bottles to cups. We don't have any of those but I will keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing. We do have Tommie Tippie bottles, so I will make sure my wife sees this for future reference.

cjd3
26 February 2016, 14:28
http://m.tommeetippee.us/support/faqs/one-piece-valve-cup/
Here's their valve replacement info. Looks like a better design.