PDA

View Full Version : Was given some ARComp powder; anyone use it?

Former11B
28 February 2016, 15:36
Specifically for heavy 5.56/.223. I'm looking at loading 75gr Hornady BTHPs with it. Primary host will be 18" .223 Wylde, secondary 16" 5.56. I've already got a bundle loaded for testing with various charges, just seeing if anyone else uses it or has in the past, and what kind of bullets, weights, charges etc. Thanks

alamo5000
28 February 2016, 16:05
I looked at that powder because I was going to buy some and from 5 or 6 different sources they all said the same thing... that they got mixed results.

For a 75 grain bullet Alliant's website says 22.9 grains is it. The way they give powder charges is different. They give a load and it's up to you to work up to it and gauge where you're at.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=35&cartridge=46

Former11B
28 February 2016, 17:14
I order their printed manuals (free) every year and just got their 2016 edition; they usually list compressed loads not indicated on their site.

I know the basics; just curious if anyone here personal experience with it. Alliant also says it works well in 308, so I'd be interested in that info as well

cjd3
28 February 2016, 19:50
I've been using the .223 page at AccurateShooter.com (http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/), and they recommend Varget, Reloader 15, N140, N550 for heavier bullets. Hornady also notes great results with N140, but that stuff is usually more expensive.

Former11B
28 February 2016, 21:33
I've been using the .223 page at AccurateShooter.com (http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/), and they recommend Varget, Reloader 15, N140, N550 for heavier bullets. Hornady also notes great results with N140, but that stuff is usually more expensive.

Haha not trying to be a dick but it's funny I ask about individual experiences with one particular powder and you list four powders suggested by a website. Not sure what to make of that

To clarify my intent of this post: I've been reloading .223/5.56 for years. My primary "Heavy" powder is Reloder15, and "light" powder is Reloder10x. Suffice it to say I understand the basics, I have the manuals, etc, so I'm really looking for previous experience using ARComp since I've never used it and was just given a couple pounds, and input on how it performed: better /worse than other powder(s) used etc. Bullet types when testing, charge weights used, distances shot would also help to compare it to what I currently shoot

alamo5000
28 February 2016, 22:23
FWIW when I was contemplating buying some of the stuff because it pretty much was the only thing in stock I asked Molon about it. I would PM him... he has some insight to what might work best.

cjd3
29 February 2016, 00:53
Haha not trying to be a dick but it's funny I ask about individual experiences with one particular powder and you list four powders suggested by a website. Not sure what to make of that Sorry, no individual experience with the powder, nor any of the other listed. I've been using TAC for a while now, as it was the only thing available at the time, and has worked well. I've seen ARComp on the shelf, but have never bought it.

Former11B
29 February 2016, 08:20
Sorry, no individual experience with the powder, nor any of the other listed. I've been using TAC for a while now, as it was the only thing available at the time, and has worked well. I've seen ARComp on the shelf, but have never bought it.

I'm just giving you crap. I appreciate the input...a little discussion never hurt anyone.

A friend of mine, I found out, does some loading with it and prefers it to Varget for Heavy .223s. He shoots CMP Service Rifle w/ a 20" AR and uses 77gr and 82gr bullets depending on the distance, ignited with a CCI #450 small rifle MAGNUM primer, saying they're more consistent than regular SRPs. I usually use BR-4s when I'm working up loads trying to wring the most performance out of it.