PDA

View Full Version : T&E Review: AXTS Talon Safety

cjd3
29 February 2016, 00:17
http://i.imgur.com/9kwv1ur.jpg
AXTS is know for their aggressive design, and for their penchant for ambidextrous controls. Immediately their Raptor charging handle comes to mind, along with their finely crafted lowers. Now you can upgrade your 90 degree, right handed, safety selector with their Talon 45/90 Ambidextrous Safety Selector. A relatively new entry into the ambi and short throw safety foray. But with AXTS style, they set themselves apart from the other manufactures.

http://i.imgur.com/dAnH3rm.jpg

What you get:
The core of the safety is a steel center cylinder. Machined from bar stock, hardened, and plated with Magnesium Phosphate, this little piece of metal should hold up will in your lower. On this core, you will see your standard detent groove for the 90 arc, but unlike others, on the same side you will also see the 45 degree ac. This allows one to change from 90 to 45 with out removing the core. More to come about that later. Outside the core are two levers. The levers are machined from 7075 aluminum, and have great smooth contours. To fit onto the core, they have dovetail cuts and little hole at the center for the retention stud. The levers are most commonly sold with a long and a short version. They also have a medium and a medium tapered version. To match your needs, they come in anodized Black, or Cerekoted in FDE, Burnt Bronze, Tungsten Grey, and Nickel Boron. You also get 3 springs/retention studs, installation tool, and a hardened stainless detent and spring.
Total weight installed with all hardware, long and short levers, is 15.45 grams.
MSPR ranges from $59 to $79 for the 2 lever kits, $10 more for an extra lever if orders with a kit, $14.95 - $19.50 if ordered separately.
Made in the USA

Installation:
http://i.imgur.com/de1moPU.jpg
As this involves springs, detents, as the like; wear some some protection. After removing the grip to take the tension off the detent and spring, determine which length of throw you want, and have that long or short groove inserted facing the detent hole. Tighten up the grip. Next, I've found it easier to install the short lever first on the right side (assuming you are right handed), this is especially important if you are installing on a forged lower. To install the levers, place the spring loaded retention stud into the cylinder. Slide the lever onto the core until it touches the stud. With the supplied installation tool, press the stud down until you can full seat the lever and let it click in place. Now test your throw and do a function safety test. If all is functioning properly, you can proceed to the left side and install the second lever. You may need to rotate the lever to a neutral position to make the installation of the lever easier by avoiding the safe overthrow lugs on the lower, if equipped.
To convert to throw from 45 to 90, or 90-45. You will want to go and reverse, and remove the left hand lever. Using the tool, push down to free the stud, slide off the lever making sure to keep the spring from flying out. Luckily, they give you 3 springs/studs for your first mistake. Loosen the grip enough to disengage the safety detent, and rotate the core 180 degrees. Retighten the grip, then you can remove and flip the levers 180 degrees to match. It's very simple and intuitive. This also makes for changing color or lengths a breeze.
http://i.imgur.com/e3VhNKn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RiSXwfj.gif

Application:
With a new detent, the safety is very smooth. It locks nicely, and is solid. With an old detent, it will feel a bit loose at the extremes, almost like you could overthrow the lever. But not with the new one provided. The lever contours not only look good, but have a very good feel to them with and without gloves. I've now manipulated this in comparison to 3 other safeties: The Seekins Precision, BAD-ASS, and V7. All are very similar in function, but are extremely different in lever configuration and feel. I find the Seekins lever to be to sharp on the edges, especially when shooting without gloves. And I just didn't like the feel of the BAD-ASS. The V7 has become my favorite safety prior to the Talon, but now they are a virtual tie.

Why the Talon:
http://i.imgur.com/4wzXIy0.jpg
This is a very versatile part. I've not been able to change the throw or lever combination quite as easily with any other selector set. After taking the photos for a standard right handed setup, I switch it to a left handed setup with ease and speed. And other ambi selectors that need to be screwed together, you don't need to worry about cross threading, or forgetting to apply Loctite and having the screws start backing out, and then levers start falling off at the worst possible moment. But with the spring loaded studs, the AXTS levers should stay in place for the long haul, until you decide to take them off. The construction is top notch. The fit is tight and very secure, action is smooth, and the looks are great. But like all accessories with detents and springs, watch out. Things could go a flying.

Jerry R
29 February 2016, 09:25
Nice review - thanks. Very interesting installation design.

UWone77
29 February 2016, 19:51
Now if we just get everyone else on the T&E program to write up something this informative.

Great write up!

velocity2006
29 February 2016, 19:55
Send more stuff my way, I'll write like a fiend. Nice review on the safety, I like the GIF.

BoilerUp
29 February 2016, 20:00
Nice write up. Thanks!

fledge
29 February 2016, 21:25
Good write up. I found their install design excellent. Yet I want to like it more. I do not find the switch to be crisp like the BAD. And BAD can now be short or long throw with the core reversed so that feature is now a toss up.

UWone77
1 March 2016, 12:00
Good write up. I found their install design excellent. Yet I want to like it more. I do not find the switch to be crisp like the BAD. And BAD can now be short or long throw with the core reversed so that feature is now a toss up.

Spot on. I like the BAD better for the positive clicks on the switch. However, the AXTS is better than the BAD-ASS since there is no screw to back out, which has happened to me.

mustangfreek
2 March 2016, 02:17
Nice write up, never tried one myself but looks like a good option also

Now if we just get everyone else on the T&E program to write up something this informative.

Great write up!

Hey... lol...[BD]

devinsdad
4 March 2016, 22:11
Great review and great timing as I'm looking for a safety to put on a San Tan lower. Which of the V7 safety are you comparing to the Talon? I like the Talon and the 3-gun version from V7, just don't know what direction to go. Thanks again for the review.

cjd3
5 March 2016, 00:02
Great review and great timing as I'm looking for a safety to put on a San Tan lower. Which of the V7 safety are you comparing to the Talon? I like the Talon and the 3-gun version from V7, just don't know what direction to go. Thanks again for the review.
The Hybrid V7 (http://i.imgur.com/CPfy2ue.jpg), it's more rounded than the 3gun Levers. I've not tried the 3gun levers, but I really like the hybrid version.

old11bravo
16 June 2016, 23:58
I ran across one of these AXTS Talon safeties by accident while orchestrating a trade a few months ago. I ended up installing it on a Mega Arms SPR build that I had been working on at the time. I was completely blown away by the innovative design and the smooth operation of this little piece of kit. It has become without a doubt my favorite ambidextrous AR safety lever currently on the market. I have another one now, waiting in the wings for installation on my next build. I highly recommend this to anyone contemplating what ambi safety to install on their build.