PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Finishes and Anodization

EO3
29 February 2016, 18:36
Hey guys,

Let me start by saying this: This post is pretty much purely for aesthetics and looks, however, I still do want quality and function.

I have a POF Gen III complete lower in black. Their lower has a really deep, smooth black finish, and it is somewhat glossy. I recall them using a special anodization process or something, but I don't remember exactly what it was. Anyway, long story short, I'm trying to find a stripped upper receiver that will have as close of a finish to the POF lower as possible, and hopefully have the lines match up nicely as well.

I know this is very nit-picky, but I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on this!

I think my last resort will be getting an upper, and then having the upper and lower cerakoted together to match.

Thanks for any input and information.

BoilerUp
29 February 2016, 20:03
Mega Arms and Rainier Arms Gen 2 (which are made by Mega, I think) forged uppers have a deeper black finish than the standard mil-spec anodizing

https://www.rainierarms.com/upper-mega-forged-stripped-6857

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-forged-a4-upper-receiver-gen2

SINNER
29 February 2016, 20:49
CMT uppers are also very deep black and have a slight sheen to them.

UWone77
29 February 2016, 21:07
In my experience, virtually nothing matches up with the POF Gen III. I just have it on a standard forged upper as a loaner carbine.

EO3
29 February 2016, 21:10
In my experience, virtually nothing matches up with the POF Gen III. I just have it on a standard forged upper as a loaner carbine.

Are you talking finish AND fit, or just the finish?

Brahmzy
29 February 2016, 21:21
MEGAs finish is still the best I've ever held to this day. And I've held almost all of them. :)

velocity2006
29 February 2016, 21:30
Mega is good, but nothing has compared to the Rainier Mod 3 Wevo lower finish. It's like almost like a brushed steel look, but very deep black.

EO3
29 February 2016, 21:36
Thinking I may just have to find one that has lines that match well and just get them cerakoted... What's another FFE set gonna hurt anyway? Maybe bazooka green?

velocity2006
29 February 2016, 21:37
Multicam is always a win :P