PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Armament Alpha

Silencer Shop
11 March 2016, 14:22
The Griffin Armament Alpha (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-alpha.html) is here! Light weight at 14.5 oz and user serviceable. The unique Ratchet-lok front cap and keyed together baffles allow the alpha to be disassembled by the end user for cleaning and ease of service. So now you can shoot lead or 22 rimfire through your rifle silencer without worrying about not being able to clean it. It ships with the minimalist taper mount (http://www.silencershop.com/accessories/muzzle-brakes/griffin-armament-taper-mount.html?) and direct thread mount (http://www.silencershop.com/accessories/rifle-silencer-accessories/griffin-taper-mount-direct-thread-adapter.html).

Rated on Following barrel lengths 7.5" 5.56mm, 8" 300BLK, 8" 7.62x39, 8" 6.8SPC, 12.5" 7.62x51, and 22" 300Win Mag
Diameter: 1.5”
Overall Length: 7.6”
Length Added: 5”
Weight: 14.5 Ounces
Materials: 17-4 Stainless Steel, and 6AL4V Titanium

Look for a video soon. In the meantime check out the Alpha running on a M240L Belt Fed 308.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw4GmrwdD70

alamo5000
11 March 2016, 16:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoTmXyTuE5I

That looks like fun.

alamo5000
11 March 2016, 16:34
Uwone77 needs to watch that second video. It gives a lot of information about pig hunting.

Silencer Shop
17 March 2016, 13:26
A closer look at the Griffin Armament Alpha (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-alpha.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQD1jU7O9Vw

VIPER 237
17 March 2016, 14:05
A closer look at the Griffin Armament Alpha (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-alpha.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQD1jU7O9Vw

At 2:17 they say 17-4 is better than Iconel and stellite?

Silencer Shop
17 March 2016, 14:18
From Griffin:

Testing has found 17-4 stainless steel to provide longer service life than 718 Inconel, the prior market leading alloy. 17-4 stainless is also twice as strong as cast Stelite 6.

tact
17 March 2016, 15:17
So it'll handle a 7" barrel on full auto? How does the corrosion/wear properties compare to Stellite then?

SINNER
17 March 2016, 18:23
From Griffin:

Testing has found 17-4 stainless steel to provide longer service life than 718 Inconel, the prior market leading alloy. 17-4 stainless is also twice as strong as cast Stelite 6.

Any test reports and standards to back that statement up? Just think of the millions cladding 17-4 turbines with Stellite that's wasted. And if that is actually a quote from their site you might want to tell them they spelled Stellite wrong. Lol

rob_s
18 March 2016, 05:39
I'm curious, is this the "first" user-serviceable centerfire rifle can? If so, why hasn't anyone done this before? Why now? Besides being able to shoot .22LR thought it, what is the benefit? What is the downside?

it strikes me that making something that comes apart always adds weight. To take a tube and put a cap on it requires a seam between the two. To take a tube and put a removable cap on it requires two tubes that overlap, adding material and therefore weight.

Does the "minimalist muzzle brake" come with a thread protector? What thread pitches does it come in? Is there a 5.56 version? Is there a flash hider version in 5.56 and 7.62?

alamo5000
18 March 2016, 06:39
I'm curious, is this the "first" user-serviceable centerfire rifle can? If so, why hasn't anyone done this before? Why now? Besides being able to shoot .22LR thought it, what is the benefit? What is the downside?

it strikes me that making something that comes apart always adds weight. To take a tube and put a cap on it requires a seam between the two. To take a tube and put a removable cap on it requires two tubes that overlap, adding material and therefore weight.

Does the "minimalist muzzle brake" come with a thread protector? What thread pitches does it come in? Is there a 5.56 version? Is there a flash hider version in 5.56 and 7.62?

I don't own one but from what I can tell from the advertising and watching this stuff over the past year or so... the market is in general going for a one size fits all kind of a situation...at least as much as possible. In this case you have a 30 cal can that you can have swappable end caps for different calibers. It means you can shoot anything from 22LR on to 300WM.

If you look at 4:50 in the 3rd video down look at how much stuff they dump out of the tube. Apparently over a long period of time there is build up inside the suppressor that degrades performance so the ability to disassemble and clean it means you can return it to factory performance. That build up also adds more weight to the can.

As far as the weight goes the Recce 7 which is a sealed 30 cal can weighs 17.5oz whereas this new Alpha weighs 14.5 oz. Your overall weight decreases not increases.

As for the taper mount if you buy a mount seperate it will come with a protector but the one in the box with the can doesn't have one. From my experience with two different ones it is really not needed. But if you want one you can get a thread protector for a few bucks.

And yes they have brake versions of the taper mount, minimalist versions, flash hider versions, compensator versions... they have a bunch of different styles in various calibers from 5.56 to .30 cal to AK mounts to whatever.

Silencer Shop
18 March 2016, 06:54
Any test reports and standards to back that statement up? Just think of the millions cladding 17-4 turbines with Stellite that's wasted. And if that is actually a quote from their site you might want to tell them they spelled Stellite wrong. Lol

I pinged Griffin Armament so they should be along soon to talk tech ;)

rob_s
18 March 2016, 06:56
Just because the Alpha weighs less than the Recce doesn't mean the Alhpa doesn't weigh more than it could.

I agree with you that the market is headed towards one-fits all (until, of course, the pendulum swings back the other way as everyone buys a one-size can only to realize that leaves them with nothing else to spend money on and they want another can so they need to claim to "need" it for a special purpose...). I'm not sure the relative cost of a .22 can these days merits adding weight to a 7,62 can just so you can shoot it on a .22, not to mention .22 cans are already pretty flexible in their own right (light, small, pistol or rifle, etc.).

interesting product, nonetheless. Thanks for the reply.

alamo5000
18 March 2016, 07:04
Just because the Alpha weighs less than the Recce doesn't mean the Alhpa doesn't weigh more than it could.

I agree with you that the market is headed towards one-fits all (until, of course, the pendulum swings back the other way as everyone buys a one-size can only to realize that leaves them with nothing else to spend money on and they want another can so they need to claim to "need" it for a special purpose...). I'm not sure the relative cost of a .22 can these days merits adding weight to a 7,62 can just so you can shoot it on a .22, not to mention .22 cans are already pretty flexible in their own right (light, small, pistol or rifle, etc.).

Just my opinion on the reason why people are wanting one size fits all... it's not because of the suppressor it's because of the government. You could buy one Alpha and pay whatever that costs +$200 bucks and have one six month wait... or you can buy 3 different cans +$600 in tax stamps plus what each suppressor costs.

I would think that manufacturers are making products for market demand otherwise they wouldn't be in business. Most people are recreational shooters and I think as the suppressor market grows it's not growing in the actual LEO/SEAL/Ranger/SWAT/Whatever arena....I would venture to say going forward the most suppressors are being bought by average joes who want to go pig hunting or whatever.

Silencer Shop
18 March 2016, 07:10

Alamo already addressed most of your questions and he is correct the market is moving to versatile multi caliber silencers.

The Alpha isn't the first user serviceable center fire silencer. However it is first user serviceable fully shielded baffle stack centerfire silencer. This is an important delineation because it allows it to be serviced easier. The reason that this has been an issue in the past if because they haven't found a way to lock the front cap. Monocore designs don't have this issue since the tube can thread on to the core. Additionally the shielded baffle stack makes it stronger than the other user serviceable rifle silencers in the past. The use of titanium as Alamo pointed out makes the Alpha lighter than the flagship Recce 7. So in this case the sealed silencer is heavier.

Besides shooting 22lr through it you can also remove carbon buildup or shoot other lead rounds without issue such as 300 BLK. Downside? You will probably become obsessed with cleaning it :P

Silencer Shop
18 March 2016, 07:14

You are correct the best way is to have a specific silencer for each caliber. It will be shorter, lighter and quieter.

Silencer Shop
18 March 2016, 07:15
Just my opinion on the reason why people are wanting one size fits all... it's not because of the suppressor it's because of the government. You could buy one Alpha and pay whatever that costs +$200 bucks and have one six month wait... or you can buy 3 different cans +$600 in tax stamps plus what each suppressor costs.

I would think that manufacturers are making products for market demand otherwise they wouldn't be in business. Most people are recreational shooters and I think as the suppressor market grows it's not growing in the actual LEO/SEAL/Ranger/SWAT/Whatever arena....I would venture to say going forward the most suppressors are being bought by average joes who want to go pig hunting or whatever.

Agree 100%

rob_s
18 March 2016, 07:31

Oh, agree on all counts.

But I also know the firearms market, and need-to-spend-money exponentially outweighs actual-need/use. So the guy that thinks he wants "one size fits all" for his first can is likely to very quickly determine he wants more things to buy, and when those guys all reach that point at the same time they'll be clamoring for something else, and the market will adjust accordingly. Logic, reason, and rational thought are infrequently actual criteria in the consumer market. Emotion, ego, hole-in-soul, etc. are the real drivers.